Scuabamau diving accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't be surprised at all....after working in mining for more than 35 years, including several more than 8,000 ft deep. :D However, even in the deepest mines, DCS problems are non-existant.

And Caisson Disease was named after (oddly enough) the caissons they use for bridge construction. In that case workers were working in a pressurized environment to help keep the water out. That technique is not employed in modern mines nor, to my knowledge, has it ever been to any real extent.
This really isn't on topic, but the research I did found that the first reference to DCS was in describing incidents in a pressurized mine in 1841. There is a Rubicon paper on the history of Caisson Disease in the bridge construction that includes a brief summary of the earlier study of the mining problem:

It was in 1854 that physicians first published any notes. Pol and Watelle described the medical problems encountered within the Douchy mines (France). Of 64 miners, forty-seven endured the work relatively well, twenty-five abandoned the work, and two died. They noted, “The danger is not in going into the compressed air. It is not a disadvantage to stop there a longer or shorter time. The decompression only is to be feared. One only pays on coming out.”(5) [Page 446]​

As you said, though, the practice is no longer followed.

Unfortunately, those ventilators aren't intended to function in a hyperbaric chamber. The relatively minor pressure changes found in helicopter transfers don't cause problems with "standard" transport vents.
There ARE ventilators specifically designed for chambers, but since most people in the chamber don't need one, I'd not be suprised to hear that lots of chambers don't have one.

Well alright then! You are absolutely correct! I will be the first to admit that I have no expertise or first hand knowledge regarding the use of ventilators in hyperbaric chambers, despite the fact that I use ventilators on a daily basis!

And on further research I find that, indeed, most ventilators (not all) experience degraded performance as ambient pressure increases! I bow to your knowledge on this subject! :)

Any updates on Opal since DiverG's report yesterday? I am praying the news is better today.
Yes, Opal's mom's latest post. :(

Facebook

I wish the news was better, but, Opal is in critical/poor condition. We no sooner get one problem handled then another one rares its ugly head. Once they got her blood pressure and heart rate under control, she started hemorrhaging. They are doing everything they can to figure this one out, but, as unstable as she has become there isn't too much more they can do. Believe me, I know how hard it is to keep the positive thoughts flowing with all this bad news, but, please keep them up. Also I would like to thank all the prayers and prayer circles going on, please stay strong for Opal she's still fighting.

Dear Opal's Mom, Prayers of hope and strength be with you, Opal, family and friends.

Mike and Sue Behm

Well alright then! You are absolutely correct! I will be the first to admit that I have no expertise or first hand knowledge regarding the use of ventilators in hyperbaric chambers, despite the fact that I use ventilators on a daily basis!

And on further research I find that, indeed, most ventilators (not all) experience degraded performance as ambient pressure increases! I bow to your knowledge on this subject! :)

We use a battery operated Uni-Vent Series Portable Ventilator Model 754 for transport and in the our multiplace Hyperbaric Chamber. We do attend to ventilated patients in our facility.

Jim

I don't have any experience using ventiltors in chambers either, although I've used them since 1979, and in helicopters for the last ten years. I just got to wondering how the chamber environment would affect the ability to ventilate a pt and did some googling. I also wonder about FiO2. Is the air in the chamber 21/79, or is it adjusted with depth? Is Ox Tox an issue during chamber rides?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom