Scuabamau diving accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have any experience using ventiltors in chambers either, although I've used them since 1979, and in helicopters for the last ten years. I just got to wondering how the chamber environment would affect the ability to ventilate a pt and did some googling. I also wonder about FiO2. Is the air in the chamber 21/79, or is it adjusted with depth? Is Ox Tox an issue during chamber rides?

Yes, Ox Tox is always a consideration during chamber rides. There are differrent tables used for the chamber treatments depending on the severity of your DCS. In most all of them there are periods during which the patient breathes 100% O2 by mask with intermitent "air breaks". The patient's O2 exposure is calculated and monitored closely.

This would be a great time for some member with chamber training and/or experience to chime in and give us all a bit more information on the whole process. Things like what criteria/symptoms trigger the choice for different levels of treatment. And maybe more specifics on the course of the chamber ride. (ie: what's involved).

Again, this is one of those areas in which I have a little knowledge, but not a lot..... And as we all know a "little knowledge" can be a dangerous thing! :wink: LOL

Last edited:
I don't know much about chamber rides, but I was wondering if the delay in getting Opal into a chamber will lessen the chance for recovery from the DCS? It seems like it has been 10 days since she has been treated?

:depressed::depressed::depressed:

I don't know much about chamber rides, but I was wondering if the delay in getting Opal into a chamber will lessen the chance for recovery from the DCS? It seems like it has been 10 days since she has been treated?
Delays are not good and 10 days is much too much, however she was treated in Cozumel.

Opal was fully recompressed before she left Cozumel. Additional chamber rides were wound-healing HBOT (hyperbaric oxygen therapy), which is a different treatment.

Opal was fully recompressed before she left Cozumel. Additional chamber rides were wound-healing HBOT (hyperbaric oxygen therapy), which is a different treatment.

I don't really know much about chamber recompression. So is it usual that just the first session (sessions?) are for recompression and at that point you are as "recompressed" as you are going to get? So if I'm reading you correctly, then the sometimes-many additional sessions, like Gabi (and others who have had similar injuries) is undergoing) are HBOT?

Every patient is different as is the number of treatments each receives -- and which treatments they receive is different, too. I don't know how the doctors "measure" DCI symptoms -- you'd have to speak with a dive medicine doc about that.

The wound-healing tables are only given when the circumstances call for them.

Fortunately, the people here really believe in HBOT and because of it, Gabi is getting the best shot at getting back on his feet. Some years ago, a local baby was paralyzed after having meningitis. He was in a private hospital in Cancun where he had two brain surgeries. After the last one, the doctors told his family to take him back to Cozumel and enjoy his last two days of life. When they returned, someone suggested that they immediately put the baby in the chamber (at the time, HBOT for this was considered very experimental) and the family did. Something on the order of 150 times... Today, that baby is a happy, fully-functional little boy.

No one knows what will happen this time. But they're driven to try. And that's really something special.

Thanks Deb. I can verify that little boy's amazing recovery because I've met him. His progress was nothing short of a miracle, and maybe it even qualifies as one.

You need to tell your friends that the "dangers" of diving Coz are HIGHLY exagerated. I've been Diving Coz at least one or twice (often 3 times) a year for the last 20+ years, and there are numerous dive sites that are completely safe. Indeed, I can only think of three, maybe 4, sites at Cozumel - Punta Sur, Devil's Throat, Santa Rosa Wall, and Barracuda (there may be others, but that's off the top of my head), and most dive operators won't even take visiting divers to those sites unless: (a) the Divers are Advanced Divers, in good physical shape, with at least 100+ logged dives; and (b) the Dive Master has personally observed their abilities & skill level over a couple of days to make sure. There are dozens of great dive sites in Cozumel where it isn't even possible to go below 85-100 feet, unless you bring a shovel with you & are prepared to dig a hole in the sea floor, and you'll still have a great dive. DO NOT use this incident as an excuse to avoid Cozumel - you'll miss one of the top 2 or 3 dive sites in the Western Hemisphere, in my opinion.
I have been diving Cozumel two trips of 3 to 5 weeks for 30 years. As far as "dangerous" sites are concerned, I believe it depends on the skill level of the diver, I would not consider Punta Sur or Santa Rosa wall dangerous. The portion of Punta Sur called Devils Throat is normally at the end of the dive and ends at about 135' I personally don't like the swim thrus (claustrophobia) but I have done it a number of times. The danger is those who enter low on air. I have never found Santa Rosa dangerous in any way. to me, Tuniche on a heavy current dive is more dangerous, and I will NEVER dive Barracuda again. Last time bubbles were going DOWN. Maracaibo can be dangerous due to the depth,and the converging currents. Depends on the day and the plan of the dive. I sincerely would not want anyone to miss the wonders of the Santa Rosa wall because it would be considered"dangerous"

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom