Scuabamau diving accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firstdive2005

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All- This note is hard to write. Opal, Gabi Loco and another guest diver where hurt on a dive that should not have taken place.
First of all Opal is in the hospital as you read, unconscious and paralyzed and on a respirator. Gabi now has feelings in his legs after the chamber ride. The guest diver so far is recovering well after his ride. I am sure there will be more scheduled.
There are four divers going in the chamber with Opal to help her breath while she does her first ride. It is not good.

Ok you want to know what happened. They went to three hundred feet on air. No one knows why right now. They tried to do an in water re-compression before going back to the hospital. I know, I know. Don't need to hear what should have been done here. Save it for the dive medicine forum. We all know they should have ripped to the hospital.

There are devastated people right now on the island, divers wondering whats going on I'm sure.

The hurt divers are what are the concern right now. I am writing this to try and quell rumors before they start. I will post more as I get first hand reports from the island.

They need prayerful thought right now please. Thanks, until later, Kevin. Opal is in Gods' hands right now.

OMG! More tragic news from Cozumel. This can't be happening. Positive thoughts for all involved. 300ft on air!?

Sorry to hear. All I can say is, thoughts and prayers to those involved and their families and friends :-(

Wow. I can't believe that 300' on air was the planned dive. I'll be curious about the back story, of course, but for now I hope for a speedy and complete recovery for all involved.

We were out to dinner just last night, once again, telling our "scubamau" stories. These people made such an impact on our last trip to the island. From the lionfish BBQ's on the beach, to the photos of my son and Gabi dancing on the dock with their giant lobster (Gabi in his blue speedo :) ... Their willingness to share their love of their island and ocean with us is something special. We paid them to take us diving. They did that, and more. They are now, as always in our thoughts. Right now, I'm going to continue to believe and to focus on my plans of heading down and diving with them all again. Healthy and happy. I will now begin praying so that this happens as quickly as possible. Thanks for keeping us informed Kevin, I'm sure it was as hard to write as it was to read. ~Debra

I'm sure it was hard to hear let alone to be the one posting it knowing just how close you are to them. Please know we're pulling for all of them, and updates are appreciated.

Larry

...sorry to hear about all this, Kev! Our prayers are with all involved....worry about the how's/why's of it all later....hard to believe 300' on air was a planned profile, but I'm sure eventually all the behind the scenes details will come out......reminds me a bit of Christ's (BlueXTSea) recent scuba accident, just goes to show ya no matter how experienced you are, mistakes/accidents can still happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom