scary first dive--appreciate some advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I knew they weren't going to be able to fish me out and I didn't expect them to. I just wish I knew ahead of time what to do. An experienced diver broke one of the rules of helping a paniced diver--yelling! I wasn't even paniced yet, only after the yelling started. I'm glad everyone has a lot to say about this, simply because no one went over it or even mentioned it after it happened. I got out and we moved on. Which was good not to make a big deal, but it would have been a lot more comforting for him to stop for a few minutes and say when this happens you should try to do this or that. I'm 19 and that was my first real scary experience and it was the first time I realized we only have ourselves to rely on!

Good for you for carrying on with the dives after your experience.
The heavy gear is especially hard to balance in when you are just starting out and I must admit shore diving can be quite tiring and challenging!

I've also had to brave the surf sometimes and have washed out minus various bits of equipment before. And what I have learned, and I have very worn kneepads to prove it, is to stay low with regulator or snorkel in mouth,mask on face and BC inflated. Practice that crawling! Its really a lot easier to crawl into or out of the water, if you have fallen over, than to try and get up with all that weight on. It also saves energy if you start crawling immediately without wasting it on trying to get up. That then gives you a lower profile and able to start finning into the water much quicker.

And of course get rid of the screaming bangee:)

Good luck with the diving and trust me the balance thing gets easier!

Somehow my post from last night vaporized but like evryone says BRAVO! Especially for dusting yourself off and doing the two dives.

The gear will get easier as you dive more. You'll learn to read the surf and remember to keep tight with your buddy bracing agianst each other. If need be keep a low profile and always have air in your BC and an air source in your mouth,as you did.

Dive safe and often,
Pete

Again well done and keep it up. These experiences only help us to gain experience:)

I think everyone has given you great advice.

I would also share your experience of the situation with your instructor it is always good to get feedback.

All the best for your future diving, don't give up now you've gotten through. It would be a shame to stop now with all those awesome moments, dive sites and dive holidays ahead.

Sounds like you did ok, considering. If that's your local diving, that's your local diving. They shouldn't pick the worst possible conditions for the first dive, but some surf is ok and needed for learning - though it sounds like they may not have done the greatest (any?) job teaching about surf entries.

Definitely agree the instructor needs to lose the screaming friend.

Talk about support - you've got it here. No false sympathy - just straightforward empathy and praise. Well done for going ahead and getting your OW done.

Our experience is that ladies can suffer from buoyant bum syndrome. Nothing to do with being plump, even slim types tend to have more - erhem - "padding" round the hips and thighs which makes them bottom-positive. That tends to give them the buoyancy characteristics of a pingpong ball. Don't think badly of yourself for not being able to spring to your feet. It's not your strength - it's the strength of the sea and your buoyancy "shape" that counts.

Enjoy your dives.

Face left or right side to water rather than head on. It is much harder to be knocked down that way. Your feet should be parallel to the shore.

This is a prime example of where filling out your profile on SCUBABOARD would be a help. If you fill out your profile and include where you are in the world, you very likely will get advice specific to your area such as beach X is a good place or “lets go diving together”.

But in generic terms, first dives can be tough. I remember staggering into the water with all that gear. My two daughters took lessons with me and of course I had to schlep all their gear down the stairs at Laguna Beach too. So I was really tired. But thanks to beach diving I am in much better physical shape today than I was four years ago and my gear does not seem heavy at all. Now I routinely walk up to two city blocks in full gear, and down (and up after) some very steep hills to get to dive sites.

Your friend screaming probably did more to contribute to your trauma than anything. I am not an instructor, but for me personally I too would have gone with telling you what to do and having you “rescue” you. Why? Because particularly in the surf zone, you are your own primary rescue person. If a wave knocks you down (and it will happen, 225 dives I occasionally will still miss-time a wave and get knocked down) you need to either stand up or crawl out. But staying where you are is not an option. The more you beach dive the stronger you will get.

I agree with the other advice you have received. Find a good beach, a good dive buddy and go diving. Learn to read the ocean. In Los Angeles and San Diego CA we have a summer program called Rocks, Reefs and Rips (3Rs) that cost a whopping $5.00 (which pays for food as the instructors are working for the love of the sport) that teaches you how to reed the surf and other important things.

In Southern California http://www.sandeaters.org has an excellent description of dive sites, just in case you are in our neck of the kelp forest.

smolderinglime:
...it was the first time I realized we only have ourselves to rely on!

Self reliance first.

That's one of the best lesson you could possibly learn. Never forget it.

smolderinglime:
I knew they weren't going to be able to fish me out and I didn't expect them to. I just wish I knew ahead of time what to do. An experienced diver broke one of the rules of helping a paniced diver--yelling! I wasn't even paniced yet, only after the yelling started. I'm glad everyone has a lot to say about this, simply because no one went over it or even mentioned it after it happened. I got out and we moved on. Which was good not to make a big deal, but it would have been a lot more comforting for him to stop for a few minutes and say when this happens you should try to do this or that. I'm 19 and that was my first real scary experience and it was the first time I realized we only have ourselves to rely on!

I've never dived in California, but I have shore dived and falling down is pretty typical. People usually DO NOT yell at you and often try to help you back up to your feet. Sometimes, just a steady pull on the tank valve can right a diver enough to get their balance.

If you get enough water under your belliy so you are not dragging, you can use pull and glide to make progress into deeper water. Sort of like walking with your hands.

If someone yelled at me while diving, I would think they were a jerk and not like them and not worry about it. You have your c-card now so you probably will never have to dive with the unpleasant person again. Just write them off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom