scary first dive--appreciate some advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smolderinglime:
I went on my first two dives today for my OW class. We had suited up to go and everything seemed fine. Two people ahead of my buddy and me got into the water fine. Just as my buddy and I was stepping in, a huge wave just sucked us in. He managed to get back on his feet, but I kept tumbling in the waves. I'm tall and not very strong, and certainly not totally comfortable with all my gear. (This was my first time ever being in the ocean). I couldn't get back up, my instructor and his experienced diving friend kept telling me to crawl. Everything was just so heavy and the beach was uphill, everytime I picked myself up to crawl I would be sucked back in. I wasn't panicing yet, until the instructor's friend kept screaming at me to get back up. She was scaring me and I felt so disoriented and out of energy. I had the reg in my mouth and I don't remember exactly but it was either pushed out by the waves or when the instructor grabbed me. I choked down a bunch of water and some sand. It got really scary and I was trying to pull myself, but I was so worn out and the reg was out. I could still breathe because my face was out. The hysterical friend put my reg back in my mouth, but she just would not stop screaming. EVENTUALLY I heard the instructor saying they should take my weight belt off. They dragged me up a bit and I finally crawled back up. The instructor decided we needed to go to a different beach and I did my two dives fine. But, it was a freaky experience and I don't know how I did two dives afterwards, because thinking back it's traumatic. I can feel the waves and imagine the swooshing sounds and the muffled screams of panic a few feet away. I think the response was a little slow and things could have been done more efficiently to help me. I wrote this, wondering if what was done was right and if it was the only thing that could have been done and just what should I do if that ever happens again?
hi there, may i ask what part of CA you are in, and as for the friend screaming at you that is just WRONG, if she was talking-shouting loud so you could hear that is a differant story, i am only a DMC but i am also a driving instructor and i KNOW you dont yell at students, they are already under enough stress, may i also ask whare you were doing your dives!! was the friend an instructor or just a FRIEND, what was she doing there? a dive master, or dive master candidate mabey, doesnt sound like competent instructor-assistant, someone should have calmly been there to help you, i dont like to hear these things, i would love to know who the instructor was, and the LDS you went through, my and most instructors that i know would have called the dive under the sound of the conditions you folks were in, my 02 worth, if you are comfortable i realy am cuirios on the answers to those questions. thanks

oh, suck it up and stop yer whinning about the cold, kid!!!

Try diving in a quarry in Wisconsin in May with 15 ft visibility...brrrr

Congrats on the certification!

keep diving , my first in the shorediving was quite an adventure, dive was cancelled to high surf off nc coast, ddecided to go diving anyway lost mask and fins on shore and cancelled this dive, had some of my best dives since. try jumping out of a boat.

Let's face it, some dives are boring, some are a hassle, some entail a hassle to the dive site and the dive is never done, some entail higher risk, and then, some - make it all worth it. There are so many amazing scenes and experiences underwater!

Stick around and you will find ways to overcome or manage things such as surf, cold, poor visibility, etc. There are sites where the visibility is generally better than others, same of surf, swells and currents. These also vary by time of year and weather patterns.

On one of my first dives, I was swimming about near a rocky bottom that greatly resembled local mountaneous terrain, after a while, it seemed rather boring and a thought crept into my mind: What I am doing here when I can see this same stuff with a lot less hassle up in the mountains, and I've seen it a million times? Is is really worth it? I few seconds later, a beautiful little bright red fish swam through the rocky scene ..... Aaahhhh ... priceless. Soon, my eyes began to search and see things you can't see anywhere above the surface.

Ultimately, to dive or not, is a personal decision everyone must make for themselves. All I can suggest is that you give it some more time after initial training and practice, until you can comfortably devote time to see and explore.

Just one more comment. You mentioned you thought your instructor should have provided a better explanation about surf diving. Let this be a useful reference to guide you in the future as you explore new environments and conditions, gear and techniques. Think ahead, ask, and research, until you have a good understanding. Practice what you learn in small incremental steps.

Truely a learning experience.There are a bunch of questions others have asked and to give their opinion they need the answers.

As someone mentioned, the screaming was ( an assumtion ) the instructor trying to have you do something and with the conditions you described shouting, hollering, etc were in order.

Remember the comments you give are read by many people that have a range from beginner to totally experienced. Since no one was there the comments are given by how one reads your story.

It is not a good way to start your diving career. But on the other hand you survived and learned quite a few lessons.

One that comes to mind is: You and only you will know whether conditions are safe for you to dive.

Sounds like when you went to the other beach things went well. Not being there and going by your write up, the instructor should have called the dive. JMO If the surf was strong enough to knock you over, the instructor with the experience should have recognized the conditions were not conducive for beginners to dive in.

Glad you are ok and remember: DIVE SAFELY:wink:

jtoorish:
First of all, welcome to SB.

Secondly, the first dive could not have been truly traumatic because you went on to do the later dives.

I have to take issue with you on this point. Trauma often does not manifest itself until some time has past, hence Post Traumatic Stress.

For smolderinglime, I'm a diver and a trauma therapist, you did do great finishing out your dives. That does not mean you couldn't have been injured by the experience in the surf with the hysterical friend. If you are still bothered by memories of the experience, talk with some one about it.

For the rest of us, what made this so traumatic was the hysterical friend. If someone is in trouble we have to stay cool!

John

JRScuba

I agree with your comments about the information provided and the comments/suggestions offered by others.

JRScuba:
One that comes to mind is: You and only you will know whether conditions are safe for you to dive.

This is not universally applicable. Aside from a misjudgement, what you know may not be accurate, there may be so much you don't know, or critical unknowns, that it may be best to rely on the advice of others more knowledgeable..

In this case the person had never been in the ocean before and was doing her first OW dive. She faced a lot of unknowns and limited knowns for her to do an accurate assessment. One can not make an accurate assessment based on what is unknown, only on what is known. Since we will never know everything, I do agree a reasonable assessment is possible with limited information. How much makes for an adequate minimum for any one person? At any rate, she was not doing this on her own but sought the advice of an expert, as a part of recognizing and acting on prudence, which changes the whole equation. She now significantly relies on expert advice as part of her decision to determine if it is safe for her to engage in the activity.

Sounds like when you went to the other beach things went well. Not being there and going by your write up, the instructor should have called the dive. JMO If the surf was strong enough to knock you over, the instructor with the experience should have recognized the conditions were not conducive for beginners to dive in.

I don't want to turn this into another instructor bash party, but to bring attention to a few issues as you have. There's a lot going on for students on their first dive, especially for some. Therefore, ideally, the first dive should not introduce additional stressors and challenges. Subsequently, students should be introduced to typical local dive conditions when ready, especially to a typical activity necessary to enter and exit the dive - shore diving in this case. Given that surf is a typical condition in some areas, and that even a small wave can knock someone down, and that they may encounter difficulty getting up with all the heavy SCUBA gear on, instructors should recognize that even when by local standards surf conditions my be termed benign, exposure to these conditions require a full explanation as part of the training.

Glad you finished. Hey, if you want a cold Dive we do a New Years dive here in Missouri at Table Rock Lake, if you would like to go diving with us you are invited :D Not every dive will allow you to see things that will AWWWW you, but it is also the quiet and calm of diving that is enjoyable. That is why I still dive lakes around here, it is a way to get away from the stress of it all. If you want warm water as my sign in name suggests go to the warm water of Florida, like I try to do every year.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like I've read that the shore dives in Monterrey are some of the most difficult entries? I've never dived in California, but hope to, some day!

I join the others in saying congrats on your cert, and keep diving. You showed great fortitude to not just throw in the towel after getting freaked out. Maybe when I come to California you can take me diving!

Foo

Floridawannabe, you also have Bonne Terre Mine (an old flooded mine) about an hour from St. Louis, Missourri. I've been there and done several of the trails and loved it! There's something to ooh and aah about! :D

Back
Top Bottom