scary first dive--appreciate some advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In thinking of the yelling, maybe the lady was trying to help the situation. By yelling at the top of her lungs, she would have attracted everyone's attention, and probably bring more "hands" to your rescue out of the surf.

Who knows, maybe it was a blessing in disguise if the lady felt uneasy about only having her and the instructor available to pull you out.

Oh well, no worries. Good luck on the rest of the certification.

Sounds to me like you're a bit uncertain as to how serious a situation it really was so it's great that you try to get a perspective this way. The board's done the same for me in some cases.

Surf can be a bit of a challenge at times. My buddies and I recently got tossed around a bit in 1 meter waves on a slippery, stony beach. It was quite exhausting but also kind of fun. As long as you've got your air you can just roll with it, think and solve the problem systematically.

Apart from experience, familiarizing yourself with your gear and thinking the entry/exit procedures through step by step, beforehand, is a great help. That said I would've probably not taken students or freshly certifieds through surf that would send them rolling - for my own sake as well - they can be quite heavy ;o).

I commend you for finishing the day. So many people might not have. If you had some acceptable dives after I'd say you've done very well.

Good luck tomorrow on finishing your cert! Kudos for sticking it out. Once you get a little more comfortable, I'm sure you'll fall in love with diving.

Well, I'm certified now! I did my dives 3 and 4 off a boat. I hate to say it, but the dives were a bit boring. We couldn't see much and I was just freezing the whole time. We did it in Monterey, CA. So, very tough and water is very cold. I guess I can't really judge after 4 dives. I'm thinking about joining the diving club at my university.

smolderinglime:
the dives were a bit boring. We couldn't see much and I was just freezing the whole time.
Nothing a week on a tropical reef won't cure.

smolderinglime:
Well, I'm certified now! I did my dives 3 and 4 off a boat. I hate to say it, but the dives were a bit boring. We couldn't see much and I was just freezing the whole time. We did it in Monterey, CA. So, very tough and water is very cold. I guess I can't really judge after 4 dives. I'm thinking about joining the diving club at my university.

Congrats. Don't write off Monterey just yet. There is tons to see here. I don't know what to say about the cold; the only times I've been cold in Monterey was because I was too lazy during surface intervals to peel off enough to stay warm. Drysuits are an option too, but I've never tried it.

smolderinglime:
congratulations on passing your certification. One point to bear in mind (from someone who has never dived california but has dived all over the place) is that in my experience the places open water students are taken for cert dives often are "a bit boring" this is because the instructors tend to like to find a flat sandy patch people can kneel to do their exercises, and tend to like a site without too much structure or current so the dive is not too challenging. I know from the pictures I've seen that monterey has plenty to offer (imagine seeing your first seal/sealion underwater for example) so please don't get put off. joining your uni club sounds like the ideal way to do some diving. Another lesson you've learnt from the surf experience is that you can't fight the power of the ocean but you can evade it by staying calm and avoiding panic (and shouting buddies!) - this is a great lesson to remember for not just shore entries but exits and any where you experience current/drift.

ps i have over 200 dives and lost my mask last week falling over in surf so you are not alone.

smolderinglime:
...I was just freezing the whole time.

smolderinglime, did your wetsuit fit properly? It should fit snug everywhere to keep you warm. Otherwise, too much water transfers in and out and can't heat up to keep you warm.

Maybe a thicker wetsuit might help you as well? What are you wearing and what do most people wear there?

Also, I don't know if you're already wearing a hood and gloves, and neoprene socks also keep you warmer. :wink:

isurus, yes, Monterey is supposed to be a really cool place to dive. But it sure wasn't on my 4 dives (due to weather mostly). That's ok, hopefully when I hook up with the university, I'll see more in Monterey.

Ayisha, I'm a tall female but not very wide and the wetsuits they had at the rental place fit me verticially, but were too roomy...so, I'll probably have to get mine custom fitted or find a company that makes taller wetsuits. We wore 7mm two piece wetsuits. Our instructor wore a drysuit and said it was just better. And, yes, I was wearing gloves and a hood. Neoprene socks sound like a good idea, because my feet were super cold!

Back
Top Bottom