scary first dive--appreciate some advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its required that something get seriously screwed up on open water certification, that just filled your quota.

I suppose youll get the hang of carrying all the junk around, but ive also noticed that most frequent scuba divers end up in better shape whether they want to or not, then its just plain easier to lug all the gear around.

Also if the waves are seriously pounding you, try backing into them, then that stupid tank helps keep you upright instead of helping the wave dump you over

Shore SCUBA diving, rocky or surf entries and exits in particular, are a skill in and of itself. Ask your instructor to give you detailed information on this topic. Ask him to give you what ifs scenarios and what to do. If you feel the need, ask him to enter and exit close to you. If you are apprehensive about diving under prevalent conditions, tell your instructor. Most will accommodate by paying closer individual attention, moving the location, as in this case, or re-scheduling for another time. Tell your instructor the hysterical yelling unnerved you even more.

I don't know how well the subject of surf diving was covered, but here are a few points to consider and discuss with him if necessary.

You now have some idea of the power of waves and how quickly they can change in intensity from one to another. There is a pattern to them, mostly repetitive and predictable. Timing and speed are important. Learn to read the pattern by observing wave action for awhile.

Mask can be stripped off by surf, hold with hand if necessary.

Keep regulator in mouth until clear of surf zone.

BC inflation has to be controlled depending on conditions and location during entry or exit. Sometimes buoyancy can help you and sometimes not.

Fin donning and doffing techniques.

Keep sand out of your gear as much as possible, especially regulator, it can cause malfunctions.

I hope you enjoyed the other two dives, and more to come. Take your time learning, do it under conditions you feel comfortable in.

There are some divers that never have the pleasure of being knocked around by the surf. Welcome to the club, you're one of the initiated.

At least you didn't loose any equipment... ??? I'm sure one of my fins are at the bottom of the pacific!!! :05:

Personally, I love boat diving. But, expense and convenience make it prohibitive. Beach diving is a great skill to have and hopefully doing it in harsh surf gives you the skill and confidence to tackle it later on.

You survived & did your dives. You did GREAT! :14:

Spend some time in the surf without scuba gear to get used to it and learn how to maintain balance.

First off -- good job. You conquered it. You had a tough time on that first walk into the water -- then you went back elsewhere and did your dives. The trauma must not have been too overwhelming or you would have given up. You overcame your fears and did it. You should be proud of yourself. Many people would have called it a day. Now you can go forward and dive at the first site - I bet this time you make it through the surf. (-:

Shore entries can be tough for sure. Be sure your BC is inflated -- your air is on and your reg is ready to breathe. I won't necessarily have it in my mouth like TSandM but I will have it in my hand. Once you start that entry -- don't dally about. Get thyself into the water. This is not the time to sightsee. You have things to do and getting past the surfline is it. Your life will be much better when you are there.

If you do get thrown down -- get that reg in your mouth and bite down so it isnt going to get knocked out of your mouth while your hands are busy doing other things like pushing up off the bottom -- roll over on your belly -- crawl on your hands and knees and push yourself back up to standing and start heading back towards the deep.

Perrone -- I disagree with you on your assessment -- you were not there and have no idea what the conditions or situation was. Many places have surf entries as part of daily life. That is how it is here in San Diego at La Jolla Shores. Basically if you learn to dive in San Diego -- you will do surf entries there. It is part of diving here. Sometimes it is tough - sometimes they will kick your butt -- sometimes you will fall down and sometimes you will even think it was too much. You deal with it if you want to become a certified SCUBA diver. The fact that 3/4 students did fine leads me to believe that conditions were probably suitable. The instructor probably moved when s/he had one freaked out student. I don't see where teaching students to dive in the conditions that they are going to be diving in is such a problem.

Kimber

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I don't think the instructor did anything wrong, I just wish I had more instructions (before ever getting in the ocean) and less screaming. I was being thrashed around and the first thing I thought was, I bet I will have to get used to this. Until the screaming started and I went oh, crap something must be terribly wrong. The water was fairly calm and then got rough right then. I did my next two dives, because I though it was a good way to get over the whole incident. But, I gotta admit, I'm still a bit freaked.

Haha and no, I did not lose any gear. Somewhere in the back of my mind I saw little dollar bills floating away and hung on to everything.

Keep an eye on incoming surf at all times, sometimes there is a strong backwash that you also need to watch. Once water goes above your knee put regulator in mouth and keep there as you move through surf zone. You may stumble and fall at any time, specially at first. Water motion, uneven bottom, rocks, loosing balance due to heavy gear, specially tank on back, as you noted. Strong waves can hit you below the knee and still knock you down. Put regulator in mouth before a wave hits you.

If waves are strong and frequent, you are shallow enough to crawl with head on surface, also depending on exhaustion level and how long you've been down, it may be easier to crawl out of water, regain your bearings and start over, than to attempt to get up and proceed in. Nothing wrong with crawling, it's just another technique for surf exits. Sometimes it is the better choice after falling, experience will show you which technique is more suitable for any particular situation. There are a lot of variables and techniques when it comes to shore diving conditions.

And everyones gotta pay their dues. You haven't lost any gear yet, you still owe. LOL

Hey Scuba,

I couldn't get myself to crawl. I was just totally weak in the knees, plus I was climbing up a sligh incline--which felt like a mountain at the time. I could barely keep on my knees when I was doing it. I was really disappointed in myself that I couldn't some how muster up the strength to do it. I'm not a particularly weak person, I'm a fairly healthy young woman. In my head I was trying to piece together all I had learned during class and in the book. Of course, we didn't learn about what to do if we got pulled in by the surf. However, my buddy, only a sligtly bigger guy was pulled in by the same surf and he got up out of it. I'm not quite as balanced I guess.

Well done on keeping your head, and on keeping going to complete your OW.

You are by no means the only guy to fall over whilst taking part in this sport! :D The first time I used doubles I slipped getting into the boat and ended up, thankfully uninjured, on my back in the bottom of the boat. With two full 11L tanks on my back, and all the other equipment, there was no way I could get up on my own, plus it was my first time with a backplate and wing so there were no quick releases to get myself free.

My instructor, another diver and the boat guy just peed themselves laughing at me doing turtle impressions and I guess that it must have been a good five minutes before they got their wind back enough to help me up.

I hope you keep diving, as your experience increases so will your ability to deal with, or avoid, these sort of situations.

TD

I can not give recommendations to you about your entry or situation that day. I will tell you since living in Missouri I get to go diving in Florida once a year. So, I try to go diving as much as I can while I am there. The money is tight so I do two to one boat dives then a lot of shore dives. This year it seemed like I found all the rocks that the shore held and the waves were relentless. You learn how to take the waves with experience. You get knocked down and you find a way to get up or if you are deep enough, get out a ways and then wait for everyone else. As someone said we do not know your location so it is hard for people to tell you what you can do. The weight of the equipment will get easier to handle the more comfortable you get with it. I just switch to a 7MM suit this year for diving around here and I have to add more weight to sink. I am still getting used to the weight and when I get knocked down it is hard to get up but YOU need to figure out how to get up on your own. If you are diving with a buddy and both of you get knocked down and you both are having a hard time YOU are going to have to rely on yourself to get up and not give up. You did a great job by the sounds of what you wrote and you got right back into things and did two dives. Have a great time diving it is a awsome experience and you will get hooked on it once you get more comfortable.:14:

Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom