SB (extended) weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fred, I think this was more about not trusting Ben to make his own decisions. Rules arnt supposed to be ironclad, they are guidelines for save diving. Sometimes you have to break them.

jviehe:
Oh, by the way, I found out the next week that that that guy was a cave diving pioneer. He was at the park meeting.

Was he wearing a bright yellow and red dry suit and had a long white beard?

fgray1:
Primary wrap outside, secondary wrap at the enertance and then the gold line with placement so the do not interfer with others lines. I have been there several times since the change and always find a place to tie off. No one says you have to tie right at the end of the gold line. In the case of P1 you can still run the line right up the the sign if you wish. I would think that if you have the proper training you should be able to locate a place without my help. I beleive the reason they have run the lines to the entrance is because alot of divers were not following the basic line protocol I've been there and seen the primary tie off inside the entrance. I understand that the traffic that now goes into P1 is high. At times there were 10 or 12 lines running back to the Gold line. My point is that if your going to bend the rules and not use the training why bother. 2 kinds of people get into trouble in caves. Those that think they know everything and feel they don't need to follow their training and those who have very little training.
Is this about Peacock or is this about following Line protocol.
Here is a question for all that beleive the rules don't matter.
Do you do a safety stop? Even if you know your not in deco. I do
Do you allow your childern to play in the street even if there's no traffic. I don't. I sorry if me following the rules and not accepting the exception to the rule theary when it comes to my diving bothers you.
As I said before maybe you missed it. The man in Crystal river was used as a example how how things can go wrong fast.
I compared the judgement used not the person.
I think We've beaten this to death( no pun intented) You can dive any way you want to and I'll dive the way I was trained.
Anyone that dives with me knows how I feel.
Fred

This is about Peacock 1 and not protocol in general. I'm sure if this was any other location that a reel would have been run. So you still didn't answer my question, I know the procedures for running a reel to the main line, I asked where in the ow area in P1 would you suggest to tie off to.

jviehe:
Oh, by the way, I found out the next week that that that guy was a cave diving pioneer. He was at the park meeting.

Cave diving pioneer with a snorkel?
What was he going to do with it...dig his way out of the limestone?!?

If he truly was a cave diving pioneer, I guess I learned my lesson that looks aren't everything! I tell you what though. If I ever see anyone running around with a snorkel getting ready to do a cave dive, I'm not diving with 'em! I don't care if they say they walled out Manatee with Sheck!

Wendy:
Was he wearing a bright yellow and red dry suit and had a long white beard?
When I saw him, he had a beard, but not terribly long. He had a bit of a belly and sickening bright wetsuit! He didn't have a drysuit. He said he was just hanging around to see if he could find a buddy. It would take alot of trust to take this guy on as a buddy just by looking at him.....

Pat would know which one I mean. We saw him at the park meeting, then he went in for a dive. He just doesnt dive often anymore.

This thread has turned into questioning my (and Andy's) judgement, I say where the lines are placed is OW, Andy pointed them out to me when I was still floating on the surface. If I had clearly broken protocol, like not running a line into OG, then I would certainly hope you'd come out and slam me, but no one but Andy and myself know where the lines were and the conditions so it's this armchair quarterback crap that bothers me.

Ben

i am satisfied that our judgment was correct.

OneBrightGator:
This thread has turned into questioning my (and Andy's) judgement, I say where the lines are placed is OW, Andy pointed them out to me when I was still floating on the surface. If I had clearly broken protocol, like not running a line into OG, then I would certainly hope you'd come out and slam me, but no one but Andy and myself know where the lines were and the conditions so it's this armchair quarterback crap that bothers me.

Ben
Ben, I question your judgement...on the college you chose!! :11:

Go NOLES!!!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom