SB (extended) weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lets just say there a lot of IF's in Fred's arguement, but all are possible. Hopefully during your training you will have gotten used to diving in some of those conditions, but as others have said, its up to you and your dive buddy/team what risks you take, even if it is a negligble risk in others eyes. With Fred's examples, i think that almost anything that could go wrong with your plan did, doesnt mean any of those arent possible though.

But would you just use a gap type reel for the entrance to main line? I couldnt see the advantage in using a main or safety reel, essentially depriving you of it during the rest of the dive, particularly if it is only a matter of <20ft from the opening (upto 50ft max gap reel i thought i saw). Just questioning, dont actually intend to use this knowledge until i get furter in training - just to reassure you, but my enquiring mind and desire to learn is always there to question things.

Ok, calm down you all, or Andy will have to call his moderator friends in :wink:

Yes the comparison of Ben and the now dead diver in KS is a bit far fetched. I dont know if Fred's comments were aimed more at someone like myself with limited experience asking about such stuff in this type of thread, but needless to say i wont be practicing such stuff without due training. We are all but mere inexperienced divers (again no insult meant) compared to those who taught us various courses, skills etc, but as time goes on, we can emulate those people to others around us. As for protocol, its never bad to practice things, but back seat diving can be frustrating for sure when you werent there on the dive. There is a time and place for protocols and mostly that is every dive.

Ah, good to hear about the computer use.

I have one primary reel and the rest are spools, due to the size of P1 I would have used a spool to find the mainline and carried another larger one. If I would have ran the line in OG I would have used my primary due to the length required and lack of permanent line.

Let me restate, if you were to run a line in P1 it would be 3 feet from the wall outside the cavern to the mainline at the mouth of the cavern.

Ben

:57:

OneBrightGator:
Ah, good to hear about the computer use.
Lets just say that i would have felt ok about doing that dive on tables, particular as the ABT was less than the NDL for Becky (on leaner mix - we could have gone for 30mins EAD if it were even). Depends where you end the ABT, at the point you leave the max depth and start an ascent or after the mid-depth/deep stop or at the point when you got to the safety stop (15-20ft) or when you got out of the water (ok i was good on 3 of 4, and the last is really conservative). With the amount of gas i had, i could have stayed at least another 40mins in the shallows - take about a stop, but we decided to surface and make a new dive after some food, water etc. The computer was just fine on that time and profile. The 2nd dive it didnt give me an NDL as it was too shallow anyway for that period of time (or the NDL was >199 mins).

OneBrightGator:
I have one primary reel and the rest are spools, due to the size of P1 I would have used a spool to find the mainline and carried another larger one. If I would have ran the line in OG I would have used my primary due to the length required and lack of permanent line.
Finger Spool? As in those little ones without an actual axle. Kind of like a gap reel but without all the extras. As i said upto 50ft was what i thought i saw, and would have been loads even for that little tie-off. Still trying to get the basic theory/info of this stuff down so that i can go into instruction and know what terms are being used and think more about actually diving than trying to learn all the terms meanings etc.

the point is 1. understand why the rules are they way they are, so that 2. you know when you can bend them.

That is the one i thought it was, thanks. Was just checking that spool meant finger spool and gap reel is just a shorter version of a safety sized reel. Although you say you can put 100ft of line on there, DR suggests that it sells it at 50ft, that is where i got that number from. Will look at the purchase of such things when the course gets closer! They had a nice deal last time i was up at Ginnie on reels, primary, safety and finger spool i believe for $175 or something, supposed a good sale over msrp, they also had a nice deal on DR BP/Wings (which i could have got) from 320-380 depending on AL or SS and from venture up to classic wings - all things i might look into again when i need an AL wing for the steel tanks and a double wing when i double up the tanks one day.

The DR spools come with 50 ft., but there's adequate room for 100 ft.

Halcyon spools come in either 75, 100 or 150 ft. sizes.

IMO, you only need one reel, your primary, everything else is better served by spools (wether that be jumps, gaps or a safety).

Ben

fgray1:
Lets take worst case.
It's dark outside. there's duckweed covering the opening. You have a gear problem and get stressed. Oh lets say your tanks is falling off your back. Your primary light goes out. You get turned around and hung up with you tank and it pulls the reg out you mouth. In your panic you lose you mask. 3 ft is a long way if you heading the wrong derection.
Point being why break protocol.
I'm sure the guy in crystal river said the same thing and I'm just as sure that his family wishes he had followed his open water protocol.
Why is it we never have time to do it right the first time but have time to do a second. There is no reason to break basic protocol.
Fred

I don't run a reel in Peackock I...it just doesn't make sense. If you look at alot of the talk on cavediver forum many people were upset because the mainline, in essence, goes to the OW. Cave divers didn't want OW divers having easy access to the gold line. I believe part of the reason the line was laid so far out of the cave was to prevent the number of crossed lines from cave divers' primaries. Peacock gets a lot of traffic and everyone running reels makes it a real cluster f*** in short order. This new location prevents the need for everyone to run a line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom