Santa Rosa the 18th of Feb......how to stay warm????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajoh44:
Hmmmm. I was there. Boy, was it cold!!!! I didn't see anyone either, but wasn't really sure who I was looking for.

ABQ.....was that your big white tent just in front of the Hole? If so, I was parked right beside you all day Saturday. We left Sunday around 9:00 a.m.

Amascuba....what type/color of fins do you wear?

I got there around 9:30AM Central Time; 8:30 AM Mountain Time. I had forgotten all about the time zone change until I crossed back over to Texas on the way home and saw the sign "Now Entering Central Time Zone" and I thought I was late when I showed up. lol .. I thought I saw you dive by (in a silver SUV with a scubaboard sticker on the back?) as I was standing by the spring watching open water students do their giant strides. I thought you had seen my pickup by the picnic tables and was going to stop, but when I started to walk that way you had already decided to leave. Kevin and his group from Albuquerque showed up around 9ish.

I primarily wear black scuba pro twin jet fins, but sometimes wear my trusty black and grey oceanic vector fins.

I'll try to catch you at Balmorhea on the March 4/5. I'm pretty sure we'll have the same schedule as last time. Get there around 12:30PM Saturday Morning, In the water by 1:30 - 2PM. Our last dive is usually finished up around 6:30ish and we eat at the Bears Den. Sunday we get in the water around 8:30 and usually finish up around 11:30 - 12 and on our way back home around 1:30PM.

If the weather is cooler I'll typically wear a blue hooded sweat shirt that say's "alcatraz" on the front of it before, between, and after dives. :wink:

scubajoh44:
Hmmmm. I was there. Boy, was it cold!!!! I didn't see anyone either, but wasn't really sure who I was looking for.

ABQ.....was that your big white tent just in front of the Hole? If so, I was parked right beside you all day Saturday. We left Sunday around 9:00 a.m.

Sounds like you left as the others were arriving. You didn't see their Sunday plans above? You may not have met Kevin in Dec, as he was very busy with students, but then - DMs usually are when they have students.

Note to Don: Do not become a free scuba slave. :D

scubajoh44:

Guess not. You left Sunday about when we were getting there. Maybe next time.....

RonFrank:
Yeah, Kent just HAD to one up me in the drysuit catagory :D Sounds like he should be happy with this one, I think it's the same suit you use, and he got some custom tailoring done.. it actually would fit me well I think :wink:

On the D200 front, I have some equipment I need to sell, however I could not get one if I wanted to without over paying :11doh: Typical Nikon product launch, rush it to market, but they can't keep up with demand. From my observations, they have NOT put out a second batch of these things. Likely has to do with an initial banding issue that while minor, turned up in a number of early models. Now with the thanks of the web a large % of D200 owners have convinced themselves that their camera has the issue, even if I have seen little evidence of the problem in most of the examples posted.

I'm in no rush. I should have one by June I think. I need to update some of my lenses as well.. sigh... it just never ends.

The housings are going to set me back as much as the camera, and while I'd LOVE to get a DSLR UW, I'm still a bit on the fence about spending so much for a housing that I will effectively get to use a couple times a year. However, knowing my habits, I'll likely end up with an Ikelite. I picked up an Ikelite SS200 for a couple hundred bucks a month or so back with the thought of using it for the DSLR. It's kinda like mounting a nuclear missle on a Volkswagon bug to put that thing on my S70 setup, but that could happen :14:

I'll be discussing when we want to get down to the hole again with Kent. It's just too expensive, and a long drive to do alone. Definately sometime in March.

Ya, have read all about the so called banding. Not sure it's an issue with what I would use the camera for or if it really exists. I'm in no hurry either, but it does intrigue me!! I will more than likely go with the Ikelite housing as well.

I saw the plans, but boy I was ready to go....I was COLD! Amascuba...sounds like your schedule for Balmorhea is about like ours. I'm sure I'll see you there. I wear a gray/yellow wetsuit. I'm not working (I'm done with my DM.... YEAH) so I'll see if I can hunt you down. Where do you usually set up?

scubajoh44:
I saw the plans, but boy I was ready to go....I was COLD! Amascuba...sounds like your schedule for Balmorhea is about like ours. I'm sure I'll see you there. I wear a gray/yellow wetsuit. I'm not working (I'm done with my DM.... YEAH) so I'll see if I can hunt you down. Where do you usually set up?
Amascuba, I'm sure you know Joe from Borger. Jo has expressed an interest in diving Lake Meridith, and I suggested they talk. Maybe we can organize something there this summer, after spring rains are over.

I do hope it rains this year. :silly:

DandyDon:
Amascuba, I'm sure you know Joe from Borger. Jo has expressed an interest in diving Lake Meridith, and I suggested they talk. Maybe we can organize something there this summer, after spring rains are over.

I do hope it rains this year. :silly:

lol .. What's rain? I heard a few weeks ago that Lubbock broke a record for consecutive days with out ANY moisture (90+ days). We had a dusting of a snow on monday morning, but it was melted off by 10AM. I know Joe though .. I'll have to hit him up .. I'll dive in the Lake anytime ... makes you good at diving by brail! :wink: I want to dive some of the coves in the lake this summer .. just need to talk my friend into learning how to dive and taking his boat out. :)

He will be out at Balmorhea the 4 weekend of March teaching an o/w class. :)

scubajoh44:

We are usually setup at the picnic tables near the low diving board along the wall that runs to the high dive. We didn't get that spot last time because it was flippin crowded as I'm sure you noticed. :p

Congrats on your divemaster certification! :) I still have a test to take and a little bit of pool and openwater until I complete my DiveCon

I started a new thread in the Texas forum about the Balmorhea trip. Wanted to see if anyone else if going then.

Oh, and yes I talked to Joe about diving Merideth a while back. I'de love to make the trip if anyone else is up for it this summer....

Hey James (amascuba), it was nice to meet you this weekend. Hopefully i'll see you there again some time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom