Sailboat gets in the way of Great Lakes freighter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone knows that sailors are not as bright as powerboaters. A good captain will anticipate the situation around him and realize he has a dumb weekend sailor who insists on his right of way and doesn’t have a clue about the Rules.
Only if by "everyone", you mean licensed professionals. The average powerboater out of the Chicago harbors where I sail is not noted for their overwhelming intelligence nor understanding of the Rules. I can't tell you how often I've had to change course to avoid (non-commercial) powerboats plowing straight ahead, oblivious to anything in their path.

Even worse... My son sails racing dinghies. When we have a regatta, we have to have at least one fast boat to zoom around and warn off powerboaters that are heading straight for groups of kids sailing in a clearly marked course.

This is all on Lake Michigan where there is infinite room to maneuver.

Both vessel operators were found 50% at fault. You always have the obligation to take action to avoid a collision and apparently 5 shorts isn't considered action.

That's a shame. The guy in the little boat should have had the name of his boat count against him, because it's almost an admission of guilt. :confused:

You are right, never operated a sailboat of any size, I have a tiny power boat that gives me some speed and decent maneuverability. I've lost count of how often I encounter sailboats in the middle of the channel very close to a bridge waiting for an opening obstructing the way of vessels that can go under without an opening.
Sailboats have relatively deep drafts and limited power and maneuverability even under power. They may be there because that's the safest place for them to be. It also allows them to get through quickly when the bridge does open, much to the appreciation of the bridgekeepers and road traffic.

I’m not familiar with the area.

As noted, the rules never give any vessel operator an out when a collision occurs. When it’s apparent a give-way vessel or a vessel required to keep out of the way of another vessel is not taking appropriate action, the operator of the other vessel is required to maneuver to avoid collision.

In this situation, sounding the danger signal is called for but not sufficient.

Regarding what should have happened to prevent the close-aboard situation that did occur, the relevant rule would be Rule 9–Narrow Channels if, as it appears, the ship was following the course of the channel.

A vessel of less than 20meters in length or a sailing vessel shall not impede the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or fairway.

This and related provisions are facetiously referred to as the Law of Gross Tonnage or the Big Boat, Little Boat rule. The ship has nowhere else to go. The sailboat needs to “de-assify the area,” a technical term for getting his ass out of the way.

I remember when we had a Junior Officer navigating an Ohio class submarine in and undisclosed location called Port Angeles for a small boat transfer. We probably violated at least a few rules of the road and basically claimed warship right of way. There was a lot of swearing from the log ships in the area either leaving or going to the mill. One reason in one officer's resignation letter was not enough training in surface navigation. The Captain was pretty pissed about that one but Mr. Capron just said, "It's my letter and I'm leaving it in there." I think he had a valid point.

Here is a overview showing the river, the bend in the river and the channel. The wreck of the Trimble is probably just about the point that the sailboat missed becoming another known wreck in that area. Just above the bridge is Lake Huron and the river can move swiftly there. Container ships are very common in that area and any boater would be wise to give them a wide berth.
St. Clair River.jpg

I can see this happing, I wish there was a little more vidio at the start to see where/what the sail boat came from or was doing. It looks like the sail boat was dead in the water at the start, did he just come out of a tack thinking he would be able to clear the tanker that had not started his turn to stay in the center of the channel? looks like the current is ripping. yep the sail need to stay clear clear, and if he had just tacked and kept head way he would had stayed clear. Something that you learn in a small sail boat is always go behind a bigger boat. if you cross in front you give away control of the situating (lot of more option going behind).

Who was at fault here?

Operator of small craft was on autopilot and had to take a dump so he was in the head. Bad planning for sure.

Both vessel operators were found 50% at fault. You always have the obligation to take action to avoid a collision and apparently 5 shorts isn't considered action.

Saw idiots that got in the way of the ferry's passage so often on the Bainbridge Island - Seattle ferry. Both sailboats and powerboats of all sizes. Especially back in Eagle Harbor.

Guy in the sailboat should be arrested. He had plenty of time to tack and waited until the last minute - seemingly on purpose.

The sailboat never tacked, although he was forced to gybe to avoid the collision. He was trying to head upwind to clear the tanker but couldn’t, most likely due to the angle of wind, current, and lack of speed. It was arguably a bad call on part of the sailor to not head off sooner, but from the video it doesn’t appear clear which direction the tanker is heading. I don’t think anything was done intentionally on part of the sailor.

I know nothing about boats, but am curious. With lots of questions that would help me better understand what I saw in the video.

This appears to be a "narrow" channel. How narrow? I.e. how much distance can the laker deviate from the centre of the channel? Is there room for 2 way laker traffic or is this single file 1 way only? The laker appears to take a huge swerve, but is that the "normal" path it would take? How wide is the path? People mentioned current and I assume wind may also be a factor in what "line" the laker needs to take?

Back
Top Bottom