Safety stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is very common. The Suunto I bought in 1999 did it.

I find it a useful feature, but I always feel weird when doing a short deco... It gives me a 3-4 minute stop.. but then NO safety stop count down..(unless that is included in the required deco time?) Maybe the OP should look for a new instructor and I should look for my manual (after 3 years of use?)

My Suunto did the 3 minute count down but my Petrel does not. I think it is a nice feature for recreational dives.

I find it a useful feature, but I always feel weird when doing a short deco... It gives me a 3-4 minute stop.. but then NO safety stop count down..(unless that is included in the required deco time?) Maybe the OP should look for a new instructor and I should look for my manual (after 3 years of use?)

This is a good point, I've also wondered about this. My 2 Oceanics have a 3 minute SS but, with any deco, there is no SS following the deco obligation. This is not explicitly covered in the manual but even with 1, 2, or 3 minutes of deco, it reverts to total dive time, no SS, after fulfilling the obligation. Persoanlly, I add a 3 minute SS after completing my obligation. Correctly or not, I assume that after completing the deco, I'm at a point similar to a normal ascent to that depth in a no deco dive.

Regardless, I've done very well to date and see no reason to change my current habits. I'd be interested in seeing an analysis of the ascent strategy in the situation described above

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom