S600 or atx50 or atx 200 for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlapolla

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm ready to buy my first reg and I've narrowed it down to these 3 I live in Vegas dive mostly here but also travel to warm climates 2-3 times a year. Any suggestions

All 3 are outstanding regs with great reputations. Does your local dive shop carry both SP and Apeks so they can do the warrenty work? If so, you can't go wrong with any of them. Don't worry about being new to diving. You've selected regs that will carry you through a lifetime of diving if maintained properly.

I use the ATX50. I didn't find any difference in the breathing of the 200, 100, or 50. The 1st stage is more technologically advanced, but the DS4 1st with the ATX50 is a workhorse. I dive it deeper than 175fsw on a regular basis. I have friends with the S600 and they love them as well.

I have a bunch of S600's and a pair of ATX 200's. Here is the difference that I can tell:
The 600 breathes completely dry where as when I go inverted or supine the 200 gets wet. Personally I like having a dry reg, so I prefer the 600 over the ATX. I would say that the 200 breaths just slightly easier, but it may just be the cracking pressure that my 600's are adjusted to. Trust me the 600 breathes really easily!

Grateful Diver normally dives the 50, but was loaned the 600 and was very impressed.

I bought the 200's for winter diving this year but never used them. Instead I opted for the 600's and didn't have any issue with freezing.

Frankly you won't go wrong with either one. They are both awesome regs.

It is hard to tell which one is the better among your selection. Those regs. are a darn good ones in the market. If you do the blind test, you don't know which reg. you are breathing. That is, those regs are beyond the recrational diving limit.

A just as good (better in cold water according to some and slightly cheaper) alternative to the Scubapro MK25/S600 is the MK25/G250 combination.

I own both the older MK20/S600 and an Apeks FSR/ATX200—both great regs.

BTW, the ATX50 and ATX200 second stages are pretty much identical except for the front cover. (I think) the ATX50 comes with the DST first stage (with swivel turret). The ATX200 is paired with the FSR (non-swivel) first stage.

Scubapro might be easier to repair or find parts for at Caribbean dive destinations than the Apeks.

Vie:
BTW, the ATX50 and ATX200 second stages are pretty much identical except for the front cover. (I think) the ATX50 comes with the DST first stage (with swivel turret). The ATX200 is paired with the FSR (non-swivel) first stage.

You can order the ATX50 with any 1st stage, but mine all came with the DS4 (environmentally sealed).

For the original poster: I don't recommend a swivel (turret) 1st stage. More maintanence and not needed.

If you buy the Apeks, go with either the DS4 or the FSR 1st. As for the second stage, the 50/100/200 all breath the same (IMO).

One more vote for the s 6oo. Love it breaths easy and dry. You most likely cant go wrong with any of the above though.

serapis:
One more vote for the s 6oo. Love it breaths easy and dry. You most likely cant go wrong with any of the above though.

How important is the enviremental seal worth 95.00 extra???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom