S.C.U.B.A. Equipment Brand.

Why did you choose your current S.C.U.B.A. equipment brand?

• The History of the company.

• The only brand available in my Country/Region.

• The Quality/Reputation of the Company.

• The Color scheme.

• The brand was sold by the Dive Shop.

• Monetary reasons.

• The brand was suggested to me.

• I found a good deal... Scubaboard/Yard Sale/Ebay Etc.

• The brand was given to me.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My last dive

Bare drysuit & hood
Cressi mask
Aqualung BCD & Knife
Mares Reg
Fourth Element undergarment & liner gloves
Nike base layer
Scubapro Fins
Suunto computer
SeaLife camera
MEC socks & top
Light & Motion light
LP 85 Steel tank of unknown brand supplied by boat

I only have two pieces of gear that are from the same brand. I learned a long time ago not to buy equipment based only on brand name, price, or buy crappy gear just because it is cheap. However, I do prefer to buy high quality on sale whenever possible.
--My regs, are SP because I wanted quality gear that can be serviced almost anywhere in the world, and I don't want to self-service gear.
--My computers are Aeris Atmos AI because I wanted reliable AI computers and got a great deal on them in 2010. .
--Other gear such as wetsuits (all Bare), mask (Hollis), boots (SP) I bought primarily because of fit.
--I bought a HOG bp/w because of function and bang for the buck, especially at the sale price I got from DRIS.
--Fins are Apollo Bios because I needed split fins and did not want composites.
--Accessories: Too many brands to mention.

I’m a fruit salad of brands...I buy what works.

However, I do like to pure fleet my airways. It’s probably just a matter of the confidence I get from maintaining uniformity but I’m not inclined to discard with it.

Like many, I was completely oblivious to scuba equipment as well as anything to do with scuba when I signed up for OW. I figured I'd keep going with this after the course and bought most of my stuff during the 3 weeks of the course. I asked for good used stuff that worked. I still used the BC (REALLY need to replace it) 15 years later. Also the reg., fins, pouch weight belt, 5 fingered gloves, and maybe something else. To be honest, it was maybe a couple of years after I started that I even could tell you what brand these things were. I've never been very well-versed on scuba equipment. Also can barely tell you one car model from another. As long as it works, keeps me safe, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I was certified by LA County in 1970. I rented gear for two years. My graduation present from high school was scuba gear. I bought all Scubapro aside from a Bayley custom wetsuit. I still dive my MK5/109 today. I have mainly stuck with Scubapro for me and my family since, except for computers. For me, history of the company and quality of the gear.

Poseidon regulators, since 1977, for the sheer quality; and the fact that I am still able to use and find parts for an even earlier, inherited Cyklon 300 as a bailout -- nearing fifty years of age -- is one of myriad reasons why; that, and the fact that I have used them from freezing to the tropics without ever so much as a hitch, in all of that time. They breathe like a dream if properly maintained.

O'neill wetsuits, for their quality and fit; and, also to support a local business, of my hometown of Santa Cruz.

Scubapro compressed-neoprene drysuits (because I never cared for the garbage bag experience of trilam); and because O'neill no longer makes their Supersuits.

Scubapro; Poseidon; DGX "Jetfins," for my frog legs; like their weight; they suit my swimming style.

Suunto and Poseidon computers, AI and not; Poseidon analogue gauges.

Poseidon / Divex watches, for when, not if, the electronics crap out.

Zeagle BCs, because every part of them is easily replaceable, and held together with grommets.

Cress-Sub masks, to fit my "Eye-talian" nose; Poseidon FFMs, for those cold or nasty waters.

Too much other stuff to mention . . .

Everything used I had the gear for years before certification
Scubapro from last century when it was good and cheap

Hello. I looked pretty hard at O.M.S. and Poseidon when first certified. Zeagle was also in the running.
Thinking back, I actually chose Undersea Divers in Beverly, Mass to get certified, because they carried U.S. Divers gear.
So, I guess my decision was already made.
Cheers.

I've used US Divers/Aqua Lung Conshelf XIV/s Since the late 70's almost exclusively. I've tried other brands but always came back.

I actually chose Undersea Divers in Beverly, Mass to get certified, because they carried U.S. Divers gear.

My first dive kit was mostly Voit, probably because that's what Mike Nelson used on the Sea Hunt TV show. It was 1962, I was 11, and there was no Internet or other divers to consult.

full.jpg

Notice the bare hands in Carmel Bay, 50°F/10°C? Decent Neoprene 5-finger gloves were years away. The useless Mae West vest was mandatory while my parents were still driving me to dive sites. Brass zippers on an unlined/skin 2-side suit lubricated with powder or corn starch also had a long way to go. I can't remember for sure but I imagine that a BFK was attached to my weight belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom