Rude Divers on the Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So another diver grabbed my regulator hose to get my attention...:no:

Seriously, I may have to ask PADI to cover this in the OW manual because it is quite shocking to have your regulator pulled out of your mouth during a dive.

But, this time I knew the person somewhat, having had some drinks with her and her husband the day before. Since it was her fourth dive since certification I instantly thought she must be panicking, and I must get away from her grasp. Turns out there was a turtle. I was a little more forgiving than I was when a total stranger pulled my regulator hose to get my attention mostly because she is a nice person and really new. And the turtle was really close so the pictures were good.

When we got back on the boat I told her, "Nice regulator removal." She apologized. And she will never pull on a regulator hose again I think.

Amazing isn't it?

I tend to not see many rude divers, mainly because 90% of my boat diving is off my own boat or that of close friends. As such, anyone new who might join us (via our dive club) and acts that way does not get invited a second time. I can think of only one such person I have encountered in the past 10 years or so, I think we weed them out pretty quickly and the boat owners let each other know who is not welcome anymore.

As to ones I have encountered on charter boats (mostly overseas), my experience is that they:

* turn up late or right at the last moment
* boast about the "large" number of dives they have done (normally less than I do in a year)
* boast about how deep they have been
* have the best dive computer available
* have brand new tech gear when not a tech diver
* talk a lot and very loudly
* take up more space than they should
* push in when getting on board, having morning tea etc

I think you will find that these people also:

* park contrary to parking signs
* drive very flashy European cars
* would try to pick up your wife even though they know she is married
* smoke right next to you without even thinking it was inconsiderate

As I mentioned, apart from holidays, I am fortunate to not have to put up with rude divers.

My worst time with rude divers was a very strange day trip out of Monterey, California.

Typically, Caifornia divers are well-trained, experienced and respectful. However, this . . .
The second dive was much as the first. They were done within the first 10-15 minutes and I took my typical hour.

As a wwwww diver (worldwide www), I must say it was the group and not because they were www. I've never seen such behavior even from oblivious big bagged gear strewers on big www boats. Yours was fortunately an extraordinary experience (at least that is in my experience).

:) doesn't sound like you'll ever again have to worry about bumping into them on another cold water boat.

LMAO.:rofl3: Here in Oz we call them 'budgie smugglers'

---------- Post added April 10th, 2015 at 02:29 PM ----------

Blimey Wingy, which boat are you diving with?:wink:

Weren't diving back them but our first trip to Mexico had such a dude from Malta. From the front he looked naked as his gut covered...well you know. naked if you don't count the hair shirt.

Nice enough but his family left half the buffet at their table every night, including a few loafs of bread. All inclusive doesn't mean waste all you want!

And people wonder why solo diving is becoming more popular. I don't even dive with my wife anymore. If I don't dive with my buddy of ten years, I go solo.

If somebody shoved me out of the way to "steal" my photo, then my fins would take care of the visibility for them, and Canadian or not I would have had words with them back on the surface.

Hope you meet better divers on your future trips.

Ended up on a dive boat in Coz with a couple who were horrid divers. DM had to hold the wife's hand during the dive -- she didn't seem to understand how to use her BC. Husband had a stupid little U/W camera and kept getting in my way when I tried to get a shot. I tried to stay away from him, but he followed me wherever I went. My husband took him aside after the dive (he's more diplomatic than I) and explained how "it worked" with U/W photography. Stay back, wait your turn. Second dive I was waiting for two lovely angels to get into position and the fellow was in such a hurry to see what I was doing that he slammed into me. I punched him as hard as I could. He didn't bother me again. He was lucky I didn't have a knife.

That said, most of the people I have met on dive boats have been considerate and polite. The novice divers usually catch on pretty quickly what is appropriate and what is not. The others...well...deserve the Darwin Award.

.... He was lucky I didn't have a knife.

Rudeness level: Master. Award goes to Mr. or Mrs. Stabby

Last edited:
Maybe she would have cut his hose, with the knife. I am pretty sure she is just using a cliche and I am pretty sure I would follow a different tact, despite usually having a knife. Maybe if she had EMT scissors she could have cut his hair. Y'all make a big deal over nothing. Give her a break.

N

I don't have to contend with rude divers, as most of my dives are solo.

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom