Rude Divers on the Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a rough set of stories. Fortunately for me, I've never had anything weird like that happen to me that I recall. The nude chick thing I probably wouldn't have thought anything of. Diving attracts tourists and not all cultures vilify nudity like we do in North America.

The other incidents are pretty crazy! I'd be saying "WTF" if I had had all those as well.

I disagree with you disagreeing with me.

You are talking about snobby people. Yes, there is that. But most of it is passive aggressive. Then you have people who call 911 when their hamburger comes not the way they ordered it form a drive-through and it is not the higher class who does this, believe me. Don't have to be rich to feel entitled. What about self absorbed people who spit in the floor or draw in a restroom? You are talking about qualities that every social class can have. My point is that wealthier people have less of that on display.

You bring up selfish? Really? That is like the most common quality anyone can have. The only difference is lower class will tell you to go f-k yourself and, perhaps, will want to fight you, higher class of people will maintain civility to save everyone's face, even if they are selfish, it is how they were brought up.

I'll give you an example. Hell's kitchen, a guy is pissing on the wall. Two outcomes, people will either ignore him because they piss there too or will verbally attack him and possibly kick the **** out of him mob style. In Hamptons people will totally ignore the guy because they were brought up not to note vulgar behavior and not to succumb to such. Image is everything. Sure, they might call the police but there is NO open confrontation and it is my point. If a higher class person wants to upset you, it is likely to be done in non-confrontational passive aggressive way.

That sounds like a matter of ethics to me. There was a recent (2012) study on the subject that in summary found wealthier individuals more likely to engage in unethical behavior.

“Higher social class predicts increased unethical behavior.” By Paul K. Piff, Daniel M. Stancato, Stéphane Côté, Rodolfo Mendoza-Denton, and Dacher Keltner. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 109 No. 9, Feb. 28, 2012.

...You'll find great people diving with you 99% of the time.

It's also true that people can be great 99% of the time, and occasionally do something like leave some gear in the "wrong place" on a boat. It's a small space. Remember to give each other a break and help each other out whenever possible. Boat diving (and boating in general) is a bit of an art. It takes some time to learn and some practice to be good at it.

This thread has been very interesting for me to read. My wife and I are going to Cozumel in a week and I find myself torn between wanting to see some of these things described and wanting to stay as far away as possible. If someone was to swim up to my wife and intentionally shove her out of their way for a pic I might have a hard time behaving myself. I am very protective of my wife and could see myself getting seriously pissed over an incident like that. If it was an accidental bumping from a newbie then I could easily overlook it if they were apologetic and not being a jerk about it. Luckily for us, we are going with our LDS so more than likely we will dive as a group. Most of us are newer divers with the owner, his wife and the senior dive instructor being the most experienced out of all of us. Our senior dive instructor started diving in '57 so he has been diving longer than I am old and I am OLD'ish!!! :D

My worst time with rude divers was a very strange day trip out of Monterey, California.

Typically, California divers are well-trained, experienced and respectful. However, this day, for reasons that still mystify me, a group of tropical-only divers decided to try cold water diving. While I'm a strong proponent of local, cold water diving, I SO wish that they had stayed with warm water.

They are their gear was EVERYWHERE all over the boat. I tried to set up my gear at my station as quickly and neatly as possible (and then retire to the cabin to get out of everyone else's way), while their huge gear bags exploded gear all over the place, both on the dive deck and in cabin. They spend most of their time before the first dive trying to find where their stuff was. I sat in the corner and tried not to be seen rolling my eyes.

On our first dive, they lasted only 5-10 minutes before the low vis, 53F water, not to mention the "scary" kelp, sent them back on board. I was soloing, so I had a rather pleasant (decidedly uncrowded) dive.

Back on board, all I head about was how horrible cold water diver was. I held my tongue.

The second dive was much as the first. They were done within the first 10-15 minutes and I took my typical hour.

Upon reboarding the boat, I was truly shocked.

The dive deck was strewn with their giant gear bags and miscellaneous gear. Even worse, was the fact that they had piled up gear all over the dive bench, including a 2-3 foot high stack of crap (fins, hoods, gloves, wetsuits, you name it) covering my station. I was standing there, on a rocking boat, dripping from the dive, in full gear (including a 130 cf. steel tank) and I had nowhere to walk and nowhere to sit to doff my gear.

My boatmates were totally oblivious. I was so dumbfounded, that I was speechless. I wanted to yell at them, but I just was so flabbergasted, I just couldn't.

The DM was similarly disgusted. He carefully made his way past the giant gear bags and gear over to my dive station (which was fortunately near the stern) and he began to heave their crap off it. We exchanged quite the looks.

Meanwhile, the tropical divers remained clueless about what was going on or what should have gone on. Not a hint of apology. Not a clue about what they were doing.

Other than that, I've had great experiences with other divers. That day, there must have been a rude divers convention in town.

fisheater, An amazing situation for sure. I've been on a boat or two that neatly held 4 divers, DM, Capt., as long as everyone kept neat and in their spot. For someone to go below, someone else was politely asked to move to allow for the traffic. Can't imagine what it would be like if those guys you describe were aboard. Maybe these folks were just used to being on bigger boats. They must have all the same gear as cold water divers for use in the tropics except maybe....(MAYBE) a wetsuit, and some more weight.

I had a funny thing happen last summer.

While I was gearing up, the guy sitting across from me made a few pretty rude comments directed towards me, like "Who needs a spare mask on a 80' dive?" and "Some people just carry crap for the sake of carrying crap!" I ignored him, mostly because I don't give a damn about your opinion, unless you're my instructor or someone I know & respect.

As we got to the bottom, bigmouth's dive buddy kicked me right in the head, almost knocking my mask off. I caught it before it was completely gone, so I didn't have to use my spare...but it was there if it was needed. When I got back on the boat, everyone else was already back on and was disassembling their gear & packing up. When I sat down, the woman who kicked me ran over and apologized profusely...which was nice to know she felt bad about booting me in the skull. I thanked her, and told her it was no big deal...no blood, no foul! Her buddy came over and apologized for being a jerk when we were gearing up and then spent the rest of the ride home asking me all about how my unit worked and how cool was it to dive.

I'm hoping he's a reformed jerk now!

I guess I did one thing one that would count as "rude diver". It was time for the second dive off the boat, and I went over to the bucket to get my mask. Lets see, black silicon, no slap strap, sliver lettering. Must be mine.

After I got back to my bench, I was thinking "what the hell is wrong with this strap... why is it so tight?" and "This doesn't feel right to me". About that time somebody said "Anybody got my mask?", and I was "That Guy". Total accident on my part, and made me decided that a slap strap is a good idea even with my shaved head.

I tend to be a bit chatty, but if you don't bite after the first question or two, I am polite enough to respect that and not bother you further. If you see me REALLY quiet, I'm either thinking about the dive (especially if it's one that is a bit outside my usual profile), or I'm feeling a bit queasy, and am afraid of what would come out if I open my mouth.

I would imagine that a live aboard would be the worst place to have to deal with "that person".

just my .02

After I got back to my bench, I was thinking "what the hell is wrong with this strap... why is it so tight?" and "This doesn't feel right to me". About that time somebody said "Anybody got my mask?", and I was "That Guy". Total accident on my part, and made me decided that a slap strap is a good idea even with my shaved head.
That one isn't even remotely bad, except if yours was supposed to be a mask with red skirt, pink frame and blue strap. :D

. Perhaps middle aged overweight European men wearing banana hammocks need to get a clue too.
LMAO.:rofl3: Here in Oz we call them 'budgie smugglers'

---------- Post added April 10th, 2015 at 02:29 PM ----------

But how about when a couple get naked on a diveboat.....?
Blimey Wingy, which boat are you diving with?:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom