Rude Divers on the Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a relatively new diver, and this thread had me wondering about established dive etiquette I might not be aware of. I really don't want to be "that guy", and possibly wind up as the subject of a story on this thread. :)

. . .

If you're not "that guy" at other times, you're probably not going to be "that guy" when you're on a dive boat. I suspect that the people who are annoying on dive boats are annoying generally. A person who is respectful of others and minds his own business doesn't suddenly turn into a jerk when he steps onto a dive boat.

Of course, if you are "that guy" in your daily life, you are undoubtedly oblivious to it.

If you're not "that guy" at other times, you're probably not going to be "that guy" when you're on a dive boat. I suspect that the people who are annoying on dive boats are annoying generally. A person who is respectful of others and minds his own business doesn't suddenly turn into a jerk when he steps onto a dive boat.

Of course, if you are "that guy" in your daily life, you are undoubtedly oblivious to it.

I think that is a really good point.

I tend to be that quiet guy at the back of the boat who tends to keep to himself and really only speaks when spoken to. I'm not rude, that is just the way I am.

From my own experience, I had only one bad encounter.

When I was in Cozumel, there was some dude that couldn't find his fin on the small (8 customers) boat while we were under way. Evidently, you leave your gear if you dive the next day on the boat, so, it was the "next" day for him. Boy, was he a 3 year old who misplaced his toy... He was openly telling the crew that they forgot his fin and it was their fault. Finally, the fin was found after a while but not before the start of the trip was ruined by a 45 year old who was very confrontational and infantile. I prayed I will not get paired with him. But, as Cozumel usually goes, we dove as a team, not really having a designated buddy.

On one of my liveaboards, there was a lady that was somewhat opinionated. As I found out at the end of the trip, she really was despised by the crew, perhaps, by divers too (though, everyone masked it well). She was ok in my book, I am opinionated too and she reminded me someone from the past, thus, I didn't really notice anything and it kind of really surprised that the crew had such strong negative feelings about her. Made me think what people have thought of me... :wink:

However, overall, I am proud that the majority of divers are cheerful and kind people, ready to help out, share and etc. So, my point is, yes, there are some bad apples but if you are a new diver reading this thread, don't despair, it is not how it sounds. People tend to remember bad better than good times, therefore, we dwell upon the negative. You'll find great people diving with you 99% of the time.

I tend to be that quiet guy at the back of the boat who tends to keep to himself and really only speaks when spoken to. I'm not rude, that is just the way I am.

I tend do be that guy as well but you still can t win as that is often mistaken for being unfriendly rather than just being what it is which is more shyness than anything else.

I tend do be that guy as well but you still can t win as that is often mistaken for being unfriendly rather than just being what it is which is more shyness than anything else.

Well both of YOU are going to get special attention from supergaijin; he gets really annoyed by people who don't have their mouths flapping twenty to the dozen :D

Somebody needs to make dive t-shirts that say:

Yes, I AM "that guy"!

I got pissed at a lady on a boat a couple of weeks ago who would not let up about the fact that I was not involved in their conversation. The boat ride is a nice time for quiet contemplation and I enjoy that. I don't get to do it often.

I have had dive leaders/DMs come and ask if everything is all right. That's cool, that's their job and of course one of the things you look for to head off potential problems - the quiet person who might be nervous and apprehensive. That I like to see.

If you see me sitting off by myself looking deep in thought it's because I am. I actually listened to the briefing at the dock and on the way out while others were messing with their gear. Or talking over the dm. I am not pissed, depressed, or anti social. Unless I don't like your looks. I am sitting there planning my dive and most times actually doing it in my mind. So allow me to enjoy that.

If you see me sitting off by myself looking deep in thought it's because I am. I actually listened to the briefing at the dock and on the way out while others were messing with their gear. Or talking over the dm. I am not pissed, depressed, or anti social. Unless I don't like your looks. I am sitting there planning my dive and most times actually doing it in my mind. So allow me to enjoy that.

I tend to do the same when I take a rare charter. After diving is over I am a social as the next guy.

Back
Top Bottom