Rubber Fin What do you Look For

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OCDiver86

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all,

I was hoping I could pick some of your brains to get a sense of what you look for in a technical rubber fin. What features do you look for when you buy or what features would you like to see in the market that aren't there yet?

Thanks everyone.

Stainless steel spring straps as standard equipment.

Commonly there are a few go to fins for tech diving;

Scuba pro jets
OMS slipstreams
Diverite XT
Tech fins (HOG, UTD, saekodive et al)

They are tough, bullet proof, no gimmicks and either negative or neutral depending on your needs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RPtU7-G5uP4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

first for me is a fin pocket that fits. I have a very wide foot and I don't fit in most fin pockets. The Dive Rite XT is barely big enough and I have to be really careful in boot selection, the OMS Slipstream in XXL is perfect for normal use, and I need the old Scubapro XXL's if I want to wear a big drysuit overboot.

second is buoyancy. heavily dictated by your configuration. Sidemount and CCR basically need neutrally buoyant fins, doubles truly need negative fins to try to cancel the moment arm created by the manifold and extra second stage up top.

third is spring straps, should be standard.

they use a monoprene center section, and they are mostly that monoprene blend. Similar material that OMS uses for their whole fin. Certainly not the traditional style, but as they have become one of the standards for sidemount and CCR divers, they should be able to stay in the discussion

they use a monoprene center section, and they are mostly that monoprene blend. Similar material that OMS uses for their whole fin. Certainly not the traditional style, but as they have become one of the standards for sidemount and CCR divers, they should be able to stay in the discussion

My comment was not a negative, I dive XTs, my favorite fin

All solid fins.

Look for the fin that has been around since 1965 with very little changes. It is also used by the Coast Guard and other military branches. Need I say more.
ScubaPro Jet Fin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom