Rolock dry glove system review and modification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm back...
Great! Looking promising! Did you remove the DUI ZipSeals fitting and install the Rolock? Or Rolock onto the ZipSeal? Or...
Thanks again for sharing your experience--I really like the idea of popping on the gloves at the last minute.

Great! Looking promising! Did you remove the DUI ZipSeals fitting and install the Rolock? Or Rolock onto the ZipSeal? Or...
Thanks again for sharing your experience--I really like the idea of popping on the gloves at the last minute.
I had @Dive Right In Scuba install the Rolock 90 (which I had to order from DGX) replacing the DUI wrist zip seals. It looks great amd hopefully on deeper dives it keeps my hands dry. Also the wrist seals are replaceable which is nice. I'm able to switch back and forth between dry and wet gloves (the latter when I'm teaching OW or working om reef building).

FWIW, I've been using Rolocks for about 15 years.....first on my DUI TLS 350 with fixed wrist seals, and for the last 4 years on my DUI FLX Extreme with zip seals. It's a great system, durable/well-made and easy to don/doff. I am not the handiest person, but I've managed to replace the gloves and seal set-up myself multiple times over the years. I use their original system, not the new 90.

I was fortunate enough to live in Switzerland for 3 years (where Rolock is headquartered) where I had my first set installed by my local dive shop there. With both suits, I've used the Rolock system installed on the seals. Helps provide an addition form of redundancy if the gloves leak.

I bought my FLX Extreme in 2017 with zip seals and bought a new set of Rolocks for the new suit, which I installed myself. I've since replaced the zip seals twice since owning this new suit (the last time about a month ago). The zip seals certainly make installation easier when replacing the seals and mounting the female end of the glove system on the seals. The Youtube videos from Rolock really help with installation.....the hardest part being getting the "strong as steel" o-ring mounted.

I've been back in the US for several years now - good to see that distribution is widening. For many years it seemed that Dive Gear Express in FL was the only outfit that offered them...and getting spare parts was even harder. I've had e-mail communication with Rolock in Switzerland as well with questions - they have been responsive and super helpful.

Definitely recommend them. The mounted drygloves DUI offers are horrible....I found Rolocks to be a great alternative.

Chris

Pic of the set-up after replacing the wrist seals in August:
2021062419282567--5894588207627563868-IMG_3795-XL.jpg

From 2017 when the suit and gloves were brand new:
Rolocks-XL.jpg

A

I just got the Rolock 90 installed and finding it pretty tough to don and doff the gloves part as it's pretty tight, even with silicone grease applied to both the gloves and sleave sections. There's no way I can get them on and off on my own without a buddy. Does this get easier over time, ie., the sections move easier?

@cleung yes, it gets easier. I left the gloves attached for a few days prior to my first dive with them and had no issues then.

I also found it easier when the attachment rotation angle matched my forearm's maximum rotation angle. I also shifted the glove itself so the thumb aligns with the reference mark. (I don't dive with palms down. They are angled in about 45 degrees.)

I just got the Rolock 90 installed and finding it pretty tough to don and doff the gloves part as it's pretty tight, even with silicone grease applied to both the gloves and sleave sections. There's no way I can get them on and off on my own without a buddy. Does this get easier over time, ie., the sections move easier?
Make sure the O Ring is well lubricated and there is no grit on jt.

Make sure the O Ring is well lubricated and there is no grit on jt.

Thanks. The only 0-rings I saw were the ones I put on the blue rings that went inside the gloves. There were no other 0-rings on the larger black rings that connect together via the twist

@cleung yes, it gets easier. I left the gloves attached for a few days prior to my first dive with them and had no issues then.

I also found it easier when the attachment rotation angle matched my forearm's maximum rotation angle. I also shifted the glove itself so the thumb aligns with the reference mark. (I don't dive with palms down. They are angled in about 45 degrees.)

Thanks, I'm going to leave them connected for a few days and hopefully they will loosen up

Thanks. The only 0-rings I saw were the ones I put on the blue rings that went inside the gloves. There were no other 0-rings on the larger black rings that connect together via the twist
The part of the system that attaches to your dry suit has an o ring that seals up against glove part when they twist together. It can be removed carefully with an o ring pick. Just make sure it is coated with some lubricant and that usually helps loosen them up when sealing.

I wouldn't remove the o-ring on the suit side to lube it. Just put a thin bit on the flat part it touches of the glove ring. Rolock shows this in one of their videos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom