Rolock dry glove system review and modification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divezonescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have been interested in identifying a dry glove system which allows the use of replaceable seals,

Prior to this, I had used the sitech quick glove, the sitech glove lock, and the waterproof ultima glove system.

The rotating locking mechanism on the rolock system is superior to that of the Sitech Glove Lock system in that it is smaller and provides a more reliable seal as the sealing oring is compressed opposite rather than over the mating parts. The rolock system also operates very smoothly in comparison to the glove lock squeal, which is “normal”.

Neither the sitech quick glove or the ultima system appealed to me as they are press type systems and do not lock by twist mechanisms. The Kubi and Santi systems fall into the same class.

Unfortunately, the Rolock system requires that it be installed on the wrist seal itself in comparison to the sitech which can be mounted to a cuff on the drysuit arm. This leaves the seal stretched and exposed, very vulnerable to punctures. Rolock recognizes this issue and has come up with a rubber sleeve that is intended to protect the exposed and tensioned wrist seal. I consider this issue and the way it is addressed to be unacceptable.

3E67BC3C-7CA1-4312-9841-152F2AF0DC3F.jpeg

Since the twist mechanism works so well, I was really motivated to make it work within my parameters. At first, I sought means to attach it directly to the suit. Unfortunately, due to the design of the system, it cannot be permanently attached to the sleeve without either not having a wrist seal or not being able to exchange the wrist seal when needed.

However, on closer examination, I discovered that the non-glove ring component could be used in conjunction with the sitech soft cuff. If the top 1/4-1/2 inch of the sitech soft cuff is cut off, there is clearance to insert the component into the soft cuff and the inner groove inside the soft cuff will mate perfectly with the outer oring on the rolock component that is used to secure the glove to the component. Depending on how much you cut off, the rolock component can almost completely fit inside the sitech soft cuff. On my first attempt I cut too much off. That is illustrated below. On my second attempt, you can just see the alignment dots. Either way, the seal is not exposed to damage like it is during a normal installation. This modification both allows use of replaceable seals and use of the drysuit with or without the rolock glove component.

557360CF-25EA-46C4-8CD2-E59515F13B69.jpeg

In order to do this, you not only have to cut off the top 1/4 to 1/2 inch of a sitech soft cuff, but you obviously have to install the soft cuff onto the end of the sleeve in place of whatever there is now. This is much easier to do if only a permanently attached seal is previously on the end of the sleeve. I have a slaggo system on there currently, and will have to remove that in order to install the modified soft cuff. On suits that already have the sitech soft cuffs installed, depending on the installation, it may or may not be possible to modify the existing cuffs in place by cutting off the top edge.

The end product has the great functioning rolock glove system and has the replaceable silicone seal completely protected by the soft cuff.

Update for archival purposes.

I have now used the rotating and locking rolock / sitech system on several local dives to 30 feet. The only modification that I have made is to replace the original rolock oring for the wrist seal.

The original oring is approximately 3/16 in cross sectional diameter. It is probably a metric equivalent. With the original ring, the wrist seal pops in place, but it was not as positive as I would have liked. After about $40 in O-Rings, I discovered that it was best to change the oring thinner to 1/8 x 3 inches. The smaller diameter allows the wrist seal component to more positively pop into the sitech quick cuff groove. This is because the bearing surface is actually on the front edge of the quick cuff groove. By using the thinner oring, the wrist seal component has more room to lock in place.

To prepare the wrist component, the seal goes over the bottom of the componentent and under the new smaller retaking oring. Lastly, the seal is doubled over on itself back to the rest of the wrist seal by passing over the bottom of the wrist component again.

The actual seal between the wrist component and the sitech quick cuff is formed by the doubled over wrist seal.

Assembled in this manner with the smaller retaining oring, the entire system is extremely secure. In fact it is somewhat difficult to distort the quick cuff enough to pop out the wrist seal component for exchanging wrist seals in the event of a tear.

In summary, this system allows for use with or without the outstanding smooth operating and leakproof rolock glove system and also allows for the replacement of silicone seals. The seals are well protected in contrast to the original fragile rolock system mounted directly to a fixed latex wrist seal.

I am confident that this system is suitably robust for technical diving.

I use the Rolock system as well, going on four years now with DUI latex zip-seals. It’s a solid system, and I’ve never had any cuts or leaks at the stretched location you identified.

For tight wrecks and caves, I can see that this could be an issue, but for normal recreational use it’s not a problem. One piece of advice I would give: keep the O-rings lubricated more often than you’d think. If they get dry, that will cause problems.

Lance

Thanks for the input.

I think the system was originally intended for permanently mounted latex seals. The silicone seals that I use are more flexible, but also more fragile than latex seals. Any object pressed against stretched silicone seals does not end well. I was also not comfortable with the air gap caused by the stretched seals between the ring and my wrist. I was not sure what would happen at depth to the stretched silicone over the air gap. I did want anything to pop.

Do you use the optional seal protectors also marketed by rolock? I got a set of those, but they were too Mickey Mouse for me.

Do you use the optional seal protectors also marketed by rolock? I got a set of those, but they were too Mickey Mouse for me.

Gotcha. I haven’t used the silicone seals, so didn’t realize they were more susceptible to tears.

I do not use the protectors, just the bare locking ring system. It’s held up well in environments including oyster dives, Monterey surf, and wreck swim throughs off the Ukrainian and English coasts.

Lance

I use the Rolock system as well, going on four years now with DUI latex zip-seals. It’s a solid system, and I’ve never had any cuts or leaks at the stretched location you identified.

For tight wrecks and caves, I can see that this could be an issue, but for normal recreational use it’s not a problem. One piece of advice I would give: keep the O-rings lubricated more often than you’d think. If they get dry, that will cause problems.

Lance
Resurrecting this thread.

Lance, can you post a pic of your setup? I have a DUI suit, the zipped gloves are starting to leak, so I'm looking for alternatives where glove replacement is cheap. I've held off helping build artificial reefs to save my expensive zip gloves.

I still have the DUI zip wrist seals, so I could switch over to that. If I can install a rolocks ring to that (from the videos I found on DGX, looks like it), then I may have a fairly straight forward system that I install myself.

I have now used this system on hundreds of dives including some below 100 feet since the original post without them popping out or leaking.

Attachments

• 7FCB9217-8621-4B6D-A3AB-B31234D27B6C.jpeg
    7FCB9217-8621-4B6D-A3AB-B31234D27B6C.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 210
Resurrecting this thread.

Lance, can you post a pic of your setup? I have a DUI suit, the zipped gloves are starting to leak, so I'm looking for alternatives where glove replacement is cheap. I've held off helping build artificial reefs to save my expensive zip gloves.

I still have the DUI zip wrist seals, so I could switch over to that. If I can install a rolocks ring to that (from the videos I found on DGX, looks like it), then I may have a fairly straight forward system that I install myself.

Sure thing. I’m away from my drysuit right now, but should be able to post a pic or two by the weekend. Mine are still holding up well with latex seals.

divezone’s setup looks interesting too, might try it at some point for durability.

Lance

Sure thing. I’m away from my drysuit right now, but should be able to post a pic or two by the weekend. Mine are still holding up well with latex seals.

divezone’s setup looks interesting too, might try it at some point for durability.

Lance
Lance,

Thanks, I'd appreciate that. I think @divezonescuba is the long term solution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom