Rolock dry glove system review and modification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all your suggestions. Another question -- when the water gets warm enough and I don't need to wear the dry glove but still want to wear my drysuit with just 3 mm wet gloves for a dive, how do you folks feel about having that thin O-ring on the sleeves side exposed to the elements?
I’ve not put a lot of consideration into this as I don’t see me ever diving in a dry suit without dry gloves but in such a case I’m pretty sure I would just put the oval rings back in, for one I cut my seals down to allow easier air exchange so I would have to replace them anyway so why not just put the old rings back rather than risk damage to that flat surface. Warmer water I would just use thinner liners and still use the dry gloves.

Reactions: Zef
...I don’t see me ever diving in a dry suit without dry gloves but in such a case I’m pretty sure I would just put the oval rings back in...

^ This exactly.

-Z

I previously had the larger Si-Tech round rings with their Quick Glove system which I hated so these circular rings were removed from my drysuit and oval QST rings were glued onto the sleeves to accommodate the Rolock system. So I don't have any other oval rings. I'm assuming that you guys are referring to putting back another set of rings with extra wrist seals attached. Maybe I should get this extra set.

The other work around would be to keep using the Rolock dry gloves all year round and get a new reel with a bigger center hole so that the thicker glove fingers will fit into it.

I wouldn't remove the o-ring on the suit side to lube it. Just put a thin bit on the flat part it touches of the glove ring. Rolock shows this in one of their videos.
Yes agree - I e-mailed Rolock about this in the past and they got right back to me with the same answer. If you ever have questions, definitely e-mail them at the customer service e-mail on their web-site. They are answering from Switzerland, so the reply may be the next day depending on when you contact them, but they've always been really responsive. Also worth noting that if installing the cuffs on your drysuit or new gloves, their "how to" Youtube videos are super helpful (links on the Rolock web-site)

Rolock in Switzerland also told me that it should be completely fine to dive without the dryglove section and just leave the sleeve section along with it's O-ring exposed to the elements. My dive shop said the same thing as verbally they said O-rings are just rubber and they should be fine as long as I rinse everything out after dives.

Anyone know the correct size to purchase for the fateful day when these o-rings need to be replaced?

-Z

Okay tested out the Rolocks out on a few dives. The gloves are completely dry inside my hands but the inside of my left arm sleeve gets wet. How would this happen? I assume that the seals for the Rolock glove is working fine but maybe there is a slow leak with the drysuit oval ring that is suppose to be glued onto the sleeve or a problem with the latex wrist seal?

Okay tested out the Rolocks out on a few dives. The gloves are completely dry inside my hands but the inside of my left arm sleeve gets wet. How would this happen? I assume that the seals for the Rolock glove is working fine but maybe there is a slow leak with the drysuit oval ring that is suppose to be glued onto the sleeve or a problem with the latex wrist seal?

Are you using latex wrist seals per your message above?

Regardless, carefully check the following:
1. Make sure the seal is properly set in the cuff ring and not bunched or that a section did not move forward when pressing the rigid retaining ring into place.

2. Carefully remove and inspect the wrist seal. Stretch the area that is retained by the cuff ring and look to ensure there are not any small cuts in it...surprisingly even small slits can cause issues. Replace the seal if you find any cuts/abnormalities.

-Z

Follow Zef’s recommendation and do an immersion test with wet gloves, this will tell you that the wrist seal is or isn’t the culpri.

I will try these. I'm wondering if it might also be a problem with the inner oval ring that was glue onto the inside of the suit sleeve too. Hopefully not and it's just the wrist seal itself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom