Roller Bag Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a huge Deep Outdoor roller bag, that my LDS had on closeout. When it's full, it's way over the airline size and weight limits... However, I pack the top compartment with a cheap duffle (no wheels) I bought at Target. I try to get about 40 lbs of gear in the cheap duffle. I travel to and around the airport with one big bag, and check it as two. So far, no airline has hassled me about the size, after I pull out one duffle, and crush down the big one. The bottom 6" or so of the bag is hard sided, so it offers fair protection for gear. Almost no complaints after 6 international (and several local) trips with it. (I catch grief from my brother for how much space it takes in the car, but otherwise no complaints.)

Calinectes:
I'm tempted to try this bag http://www.ebags.com/ebags/mother_lode_29_wheeled_duffel/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=20171

It comes in a 25" duffle too. They say lifetime warranty but it's only material and workmanship. Not as good as Stahlsac's lifetime warranty. Stahlsac will replace it even if it's airline damage.

I have two of the same product line mini size on order for April 28 delivery. My wife and I are hoping to carry on our SCUBA gear in one of these each and use a smaller "personal" carry on for clothing. For me, shorts, tee shirts, bathing suits, etc. don't require too much room.

We're going to Bonaire in May from Orlando on Air Jamaica and are trying to avoid checking the gear through Montego Bay connection point. If necessary, we'll check our clothing bag(s).

I also looked at the 29" and the 25" as a dive gear option, but want to experiment with the carry on option first.

I'll provide some feedback after the bags arrive.

I bought 2 small cary on bags by some misc manufacturer from Ross the other day.. Paid $31 for each back, 45 linear inches, 1600 ballistic fiber, double in-line skate wheels etc. I was able to fit (well more like stuff) my bc, a 1mm suit, mask, snorkel and regs/computer. Once all in there it was pretty secure, and amazingly light.

Wife and I plan on carrying the u/w camera as the other small carry on... and only check in our clothing bag and our fins. So the most that can come up missing is some clothing and fins, everythign else will be on our side.

The wife and I each have a big rolling bag for our gear. She got hers at REI and I got one "damaged" from EMS. We took them to Belize last month on their maiden voyage. Mine came back unscathed but hers had 3 - 4 small rips in the rubberized canvas that covers the bottom of the bag. Ironic eh ? ...since you'd think that the rubberized construction would be durable. Turns out that the soft sided cordura nylon fares better under the typical baggage handling abuse.

'Slogger

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom