Roller Bag Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That bag looks too big to me. 11,200 cu. in. Might be hard to handle loaded (the bag, not the handler ;-) It also exceeds the airline L+H+W restriction, FWIW.

I also add my concurrance on the High Sierra. I liked the stealth idea, too, but it didn't hold up at all. Zippers shot, torn fabric, broken elastic, just not up to the task. Only one plane trip, but lots of pack up the truck hauls.

On the other hand, I have had nothing but excellent service from Campmor. They have taken back anything where there was a problem with no hassle. However on the HS bag, it is warrantied over the long haul by HS. If something goes bad in the first few uses, I contact Campmor. (Like three Timex Helix dive watches that didn't last one trip.) But, if I mess with this bag, I would contact HS. Problem with an item like this, the shipping is half the value and you are obligated, per the terms of the warranty, to ship it. However, many places will simply ship a replacement if you ask in a reasonable manner. I just haven't bothered, yet.

Jim

markfm:
Anyone ever try that bag before? Durability?

I have a 30" expandable rolling duffle. It's Dakota luggage which is Tumi's entry level luggage and is no longer made, but it has proved to be quite durable over the years. I think the key is to get the right kind of fabric and zipper. I can get all of my dive gear in it including my regulator bag. (I wrap my reg in bubble wrap before putting it in the reg bag).

I also use those compressable packing bags for my clothes. Looks like a giant baggie. You load your clothes in, seal the end and roll it to squish the air out. Makes alot of extra room. I have enough room to pack some clothes in my dive bag that way, but I have also had to use my 20" at times. Sometimes you can get it in one bag, but can you lift it?

Calinectes--Costco and Academy both have identical bags (sans the dividers, which, I must confess, are pretty nice) for $40.

Go with the Costco Ricardo Rolling Duffle with hard bottom ($39.99). It will fit everything, and if something happens to it, replace it.

usnadiver03:
Go with the Costco Ricardo Rolling Duffle with hard bottom ($39.99). It will fit everything, and if something happens to it, replace it.

I have two of them, Best bag I have found for the price!

Nothing will beat a Pelican 1660, simply the biggest, baddest Rolling Case around, but you will pay extra for the weight of this gargantous case.

I use the 1620 for scuba gear only and have been lucky so far, but sooner or later they're going to charge me extra for weight.

The 1660 can acomodate 2 full scuba sets and clothes for a week with spare room for souvenirs.

Also be ready to pay a leg to get it, very expensive stuff.

If you got patience, put an automatic search on ebay and wait for a good deal.

With all of the talk of the rolling duffles...and assuming that they are all soft sided, has anyone had any trouble with things getting crunched?

I just shlepped my stuff on a trip and just used an old Samsonite rolling case (hard sides and back, soft top) and had no problems...BUT it's a heavy bag (stuffed, it was 49 lbs! just made it) and the Mrs. missed having the bigger bag for clothes (my attitude is it's Florida...shorts, sandals and t-shirts!)

Another dilemma....my rolling carry-on is getting a bit filled with the camera stuff etc. I'm thinking of replacing my (Akona) regulator bag (my "personal" item) with one of these:

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=CameraBag

Anyone have any experience with them? I'm thinking regs (and wondering if they'd fit in the current bag too) camera stuff (camera, housing, charger) and possibly either myy mask and/or computer boxes??? now..this is in addition to my rolling carry-on also!

I just came back from 6 weeks in Syria Jordan and Egypt - with my dive gear going everywhere with me, in cabs, on buses, on trains, and ofcourse, on planes. It got dragged up and down stairwells, pulled through mud, and even saved my tushie when I got pushed over by a customs official - I landed on it and didn't hurt myself and all was peachy inside. The only dmg is some scuffs - I love this bag.
Not only does it roll, but it also can switch to a backpack - not some sissy pretend backpack but one that can take the 21kg I had in it no dramas. It weighs a little over 4kgs and worth it 100%.
The name of this miracle?
TUSA BP2
http://www.tusa.com/access_bp_2.shtml

hoosier:
I used to recommend High Sierra 36inch duffle wheeled bag from campmor.com
But, I am a little bit disappointed at the durability and customer service (they never reply my contact).
It is a huge bag, but I haven't been asked about the size yet.

You might try samsonite one and triple_L bag. Samsonite is a little bit pricey, but their customer service is a top notch.

Update: High Sierra never reply... Their customer service is horrible.
If you really like a duffle wheeled bag, get Samsonite one with the warranty.
Their service is top notch.... You only pay $10~$15 more on Samsonite one...

Back
Top Bottom