Roller Bag Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drezabek

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking at a roller bag for an upcoming international trip. The plan is to get a single LARGE bag that will contain all of my dive equipment and all of my clothes. I currently have an Akona mesh backpack bag that is great for day trips, but I am tired of having to deal with multiple bags -- dive bag, suitcase, backpack, etc. I will continue to carry on a backpack with my laptop, etc., but it's time to consolidate the other two.

So, to make a short story longer, what are your recommendations? Any product or brand to avoid? Any that you just love?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I used to recommend High Sierra 36inch duffle wheeled bag from campmor.com
But, I am a little bit disappointed at the durability and customer service (they never reply my contact).
It is a huge bag, but I haven't been asked about the size yet.

You might try samsonite one and triple_L bag. Samsonite is a little bit pricey, but their customer service is a top notch.

I have a large gear bag, I think it is the same 36" High Sierra, and it holds everything pretty well, but with my clothes and other trip items, it just gets to be too heavy. I end up being the only one who can lift it, it is awkward to get in and out of trunks, caps, etc. and worst of all, the airlines now are more strict, so I might have to pay a few extra dollars to check it.

I recently switched to two smaller roller duffles, and all the problems are solved. I got mine at Costco -- they are good to very good quality, perfectly sized, and stick under the 50lb rule even if I load it up with gear. Lots of compartments for holding things and the handles are all strong. Inexpensive too. I cannot see them online at costco, but they were still there in the store last week.

I just got a Deep See Travel Lock Summit bag. It is a large bag that holds all of my gear (minus the tank). You can tell that a lot of thought went into the design of this bag. The wheels are much wider (3"-4" wide) and heavier than most. The location and size of the pockets make it very easy to stow all your extra accessories and gadgets.

It is also designed to be worn as a backpack if you need it to. The shoulder straps and belt are much wider than the typical bag therefore they are much more comfortable.

I would strongly reccommend this bag to anyone. Good luck and stay safe!

Note: The XS Scuba bag is nice, but it rusts by the wheels and the pull-out handle.

I can see how you might like to consolidate. I'm with Puck, though. If you've got two good duffles, no big deal. In addition, there's no way you're staying under 50lbs if all your stuff is in one bag.

Also, consider why airlines charge more for heavier bags--they are hard to move. Throwing one's back out is not fun. Throwing one's back out in a connecting airport on the way to a dive could only multiply that lack of enjoyment.

Finally, where are you going to put your clothes when you've finished diving and your bag is wet from ocean spray?

I think I have the same Costco rollerduffle. It cost around $40. I've seen an almost identical bag at Academy, too.

well, i have a tilos roller bag. very big. fits all my gear (bc, wetsuits, fins, etc.) and all my clothes. as my carry on i use an akona regulator backpack. it's been on several trips to florida and mexico and have had no problems. the zippers are the nice thick ones that don't break easily, it has a pull handle, and optional shoulder strap. very convenient for trips. my buddy has the akona roller bag and it is also very nice. very durable and fits almost as much as my bag. it's a little shorter than my tilos roller bag.

as for the wet gear, i don't care really care if my dirty clothes from the trip get wet on my way back. :D and also i try to use the 12-24 hours rule before i fly so most of my gear is dry by the time it's time to leave.

ShakaZulu:
Note: The XS Scuba bag is nice, but it rusts by the wheels and the pull-out handle.

My bro and I both have the XS rolling backpack. We love them. I haven't seen any rust yet but I'll take your word for it. It would be almost impossible to avoid.

What I like:
- The price: I bought it at Scuba Toys. Larry had a great price and took good care of us.
- The durability: I'm not kind to my gear
- Easy to clean: It's mostly hard plastic and heavy duty nylon inside. I usually just hose it out after I unlaod my wet gear and it dries in no time.
- The reg bag and mask bag holder thingie - cool.
- It holds an ***** load of gear. I dive in New England so nothing is small. I fit everything except for tanks in it, roll or wear it down to the boat and never have to worry about which bag to look in for anything.

I'm with everyone that says 2 bags (rolling soft duffles) . Just be sure that the zippers are plastic. The cheap bags that have steel zippers will rustout quickly.

Dave

I have the large Tilos roller bag. It can easily hold all of my gear and even a good deal of my wife's. Seems really well designed. Haven't had it long so I can't speak to the durability.

Back
Top Bottom