Roll Call for all Mid-Atlantic Bottom Feeders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Off to Florida for a few days of diving. See you when I return. Will have report. Welcome aboard guzzidude, I'm in Elkins.

RAD Diver:
Cool looks as if some local (to me Va. Beach)divers out there. I will definatly be looking to buddy up. I have the bad distinction of always getting stuck with someone diving an alum 80 on air to our wrecks at 100+ fsw. I dont mind being with all types of divers but I hate to call my dive when my buddy is OOA.I usually get them back to the line & stay down for a few minutes, but my wife (who dives) does NOT like me to do it. I am getting into doubles now so I will be redundant & will make her feel better.

Ouch, I could easily see myself in the near future as one of the alum 80 offenders you describe. Gotta start somewhere, though. The hard part is I have limited resources, both time and money, I feel that those resouces are better spent diving what I have (i.e. wetsuit, single alum tank) than on more gear or cert courses. For now. when I can, I want to dive. At some point I see I will have to upgrade (doubles, drysuit, etc)if I want to get serious about local diving, but for now I just want to get wet and some experience under my belt. I've got the itch bad! So, next time someone doesn't mind a newbie tagging along, invite me! So much info out there, it is overwhelming. I wish access to the water was as easy as access to a keyboard.

BobbyT22:
Ouch, I could easily see myself in the near future as one of the alum 80 offenders you describe. Gotta start somewhere, though. The hard part is I have limited resources, both time and money, I feel that those resouces are better spent diving what I have (i.e. wetsuit, single alum tank) than on more gear or cert courses. For now. when I can, I want to dive. At some point I see I will have to upgrade (doubles, drysuit, etc)if I want to get serious about local diving, but for now I just want to get wet and some experience under my belt. I've got the itch bad! So, next time someone doesn't mind a newbie tagging along, invite me! So much info out there, it is overwhelming. I wish access to the water was as easy as access to a keyboard.

No ouch. If time and money are gating factors then you really want to maximize your bottom time when you do get to dive. RadDiver was talking about 100'+ depths which means a pretty short dive on an 80 even with a good consumption rate. My advice, stay shallow and dive longer.

Roger. My bad, I misread it. 100 feet would be out of my comfort zone for now, but I hope to get there this year.

No problem Bobby (which by the way is my name also) staying shallow & getting comfortable diving in our area which can be very challenging is the most important thing. The worst thing you can do is push to far to fast. Like I said I have no problem being with divers of any level, we all start somewhere.
As far as bigger tanks when you are ready we can help you out, I have plenty of tanks. Mostly steel 2 LP121s, 2LP108s, 2LP98s & a set of alum 100s doubled. I have no problem letting you use a set while diving with me. I have to warn you that once you use steel going back to alum will be tough. Losing weight off your waist can be very nice.

RAD Diver:
I have to warn you that once you use steel going back to alum will be tough.
Oh, YEAH, that's the truth!

Hey bro, good diving with you the other day. Any luck on fixing the seal yet? Can ya post or e-mail some UW pics?

See ya...

RAD- can't wait to go. I've been trying to sign up for one of the shallow dives out of Lynnhaven, but they keep getting cancelled due to lack of interest. Next time you are doing something suitable for me, please let me know. I'm still hoping to get to Rawlings this weekend and try to make a long dive to the deepest part of the lake to expand my time and depth envelope. But I'm not going to make the 2 hour drive unless I know I have a buddy, and one willing to take a newbie along. So far no takers. Hopefully someone will roger up today for tomorrow (holiday).

On the positive side, I am going to be in San Diego the week of March 5-9th. There are some guided scuba tours of a kelp forest in a protected cove off of LaJolla, and I am hopeful I can break free long enough to take advantage of one of them. There are disclaimers about the water temp, it says be warned it can be as low as 56 degrees. That still seems pretty warm compared to local temps.
Rob

Bobby; I would have no problem diving with you at Rawlings, but this weekend would be tough as the wife made plans with her family for us & Monday aint no holiday at my job. My seal also has not been fixed, the owner of Dive Quarters was away with his brother in NY while he was undergoing triple bypass. He is back & says that he will fix it today or Monday. Still no word on my new DS. I still have my semi & it has done me right in 49 degree so I would give it a try in 43.
That San Diego trip sounds great & diving there would definatly be the bomb.
Drewski; I keep meaning to e-mail you the few pics, but I always get sidetracked.
Always great to dive with a new Buddy, cant have enough when you hit the Va. Beach coast as much as I do. Still trying to peak interest for the Morgan trip Feb 25, we only have 3 & need 8.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom