Rocket Ascents... Can divers breach like a fish (split from Accident in Mich)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At least I think he laid to rest the question that was once actually debated here - can a diver clear the water with rapid ascent...?

I never believed the claim, but there was controversy.

I did once !!!!

I stopped at the Waffle House and had the hash browns scattered-smothered-covered-chunked-topped-diced-peppered and 'shroomed for breakfast right before the dive.

Needed to get back on the dive boat!

the K

serambin:
Na, golf balls have dimples for two reasons -

1. They act a 'purchase' on the air. Just like a seam on a baseball, dimples increase air resistance so as the golf ball rotates with under spin, it is actually curving upward (like a fastball, only faster). This allows for lift and increases the distance the ball flies. I've heard that without dimples, the maximum distance on a well struck driver would be less than 150 yards off the tee.

2. Girl golf balls think they look cool on the guys. :14:

Stan

Yes rotation causes lift (Magnus effect).

But the dimples do reduce form drag. They create a turbulent boundary-layer which stays attached longer thus reducing the size of the wake.

Back
Top Bottom