Rocket Ascents... Can divers breach like a fish (split from Accident in Mich)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
<Mod note ~ This was split from the Accident in Michigan thread. Snowbear>
Rec Diver:
I wasn't aware that 73 feet was considered deep. I know a State Police recue diver that have shot up from 100 feet in 10 seconds with no ill affects. Her ascent was so fast that her fins cleared the water.

HOGWASH! You can't ascend fast enough for your fins to clear the water. Try it. Get us some pictures if you can.

Besides, with the sorry state of so many of the public safety dive teams I'd hardly use this example without stating the qualifications and skill level of the specific diver. don't get me wrong there are some very good teams out there but many others are made up of professional police or firemen who are ameture divers working with little or no training beyond their recreational classes using donated equipment that probably shouldn't be used at all. I know of teams that will put an OW diver with very little experience to work. In those cases it's no surprise to me that they'd have problems with uncontrolled rapid ascents.
I was also on a dive a couple of months ago when the inflator valve of one of the divers BC malfunctioned and sent him straight to the surface. He also cleared the surface upon arrival. Again, no ill affects.

I've seen the same thing a number of times (of course they never came close to clearing the water with their fins...their knees...or even their belts) and I've had to help clear traffic so the ambulance could get in too.
What difference would that be, if she wasn't alive? Being bent can be dealt with once your on the surface. I think getting to the surface would be more important.

It's just hard to administer rescue breaths to some one who has no lungs left.
All I dive is dry. if you think getting a wet suit off is easier than getting a dry suit off, then you have never dove wet. My dry suit by the way is a White Nexxus Shell...XL

Either way it will be cut off.

MikeFerrara:
HOGWASH! You can't ascend fast enough for your fins to clear the water. Try it. Get us some pictures if you can.

Besides, with the sorry state of so many of the public safety dive teams I'd hardly use this example without stating the qualifications and skill level of the specific diver. don't get me wrong there are some very good teams out there but many others are made up of professional police or firemen who are ameture divers working with little or no training beyond their recreational classes using donated equipment that probably shouldn't be used at all. I know of teams that will put an OW diver with very little experience to work. In those cases it's no surprise to me that they'd have problems with uncontrolled rapid ascents.

I've seen the same thing a number of times (of course they never came close to clearing the water with their fins...their knees...or even their belts) and I've had to help clear traffic so the ambulance could get in too.

It's just hard to administer rescue breaths to some one who has no lungs left.

Either way it will be cut off.

I didn't notice you in the group of people. Which one were you?

Rec Diver:
I didn't notice you in the group of people. Which one were you?

I don't need to be in the group to call BS on your claim that a diver can ascend fast enough to gain sufficient momentum to launch themselves from the water like a juimping fish.

MikeFerrara:
I don't need to be in the group to call BS on your claim that a diver can ascend fast enough to gain sufficient momentum to launch themselves from the water like a juimping fish.

I suppose if it is one of those rocket pack divers.... :wink:

gangrel441:
I suppose if it is one of those rocket pack divers.... :wink:

You mean like this? :D

Great news Bob on your wife. Show her this thread I'm sure she'll be inspired to by everyone's concerns ... enough, hopefully, to get her back in the water.

MikeFerrara:
Yeah, that was pretty dumb. I forget who said that, but perhaps that's just as well. I decided to say nothing at the time, but now that Maggi is reported to be doing much better - what a stupid claim?!

We see uncontrolled ascents in Santa Rosa NM's training hole a lot - indeed, when we were brand new, it happened to my buddy and me both. And from 80 feet at over 4,000 ft elevation, it can be like a rapid ascent from 90-100 feet at sea level. It's been years, but I recall that I went back down to 15 feet for a long stop and came out fine. I don't remember what my buddy did, but I lost contact with him for weeks - long story involving new GF, former vacation diver who went on the trip with us. I understand now that he felt bad for weeks, a little bent I guess, but he didn't tell me for 3 years or seek treatment. I remember that he'd forgotten to sign up for DAN insurance before the trip, and he was really focused on that new GF after the dives.

He does dive on vacations still, and we recently dived that hole again. His only problem is he forgets his Sudafed and always has problems equalizing.

I've seen other cases. We had a diver on our boat in November who ran OOA and bobbed to the surface with blood frothing. He was picked up by another boat, rushed to shore near Key Largo, transported by ambulance, diagnosed with lung injuries, and within hours was arguing on whether he had to stay overnight in the hospital.

From my limited observations, a rapid ascent with possible injuries still seems preferable to drowning, apparently Maggi's problem. Bob seems to have vented his lungs well on ascent, even tho he was dealing with an extreme challenge of saving his wife, and it seems he suffered little from his ascent. Maggi didn't seem to have air in her lungs for the ascent.

It looks like the basic rule of Get Positive is again supported, even if one risks becoming over buoyant, as one is not going to clear the water at the surface.

Perhaps the discussion of Rec Diver's jaw-dropping claim of a Polaris Diver (and apparent defense thereof!!!) would be better off in another thread, leaving this thread to concentrate on Bob and Maggi's ongoing struggle? Maybe a mod can split out the other posts..

DiveGolfSki:
You mean like this? :D

Great news Bob on your wife. Show her this thread I'm sure she'll be inspired to by everyone's concerns ... enough, hopefully, to get her back in the water.

Hey...wasn't Rec Diver on the testing team for that rig? :1poke:

pants!:
Perhaps the discussion of Rec Diver's jaw-dropping claim of a Polaris Diver (and apparent defense thereof!!!) would be better off in another thread, leaving this thread to concentrate on Bob and Maggi's ongoing struggle? Maybe a mod can split out the other posts..

Hey, Pants, I see you're a senior member now, with 572 posts -10.81 posts per day since July 11, 2005, but you have not told us anything about your dive history, or whom you are certified with. Why not fill in your dive history, where you dive, have dove, number of dives, etc? Dive in and tell the board about yourself and your diving? The water is warm. We won't bite. :)

MikeFerrara:

If ignorance is bliss, then you must be a truely happy person!

Back
Top Bottom