Robbing Paul to pay Peter... a disturbing trend with Revo Rebreathers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems to me that Paul should be looking for a new NF retailer. Then Jim can give him the Jersey wave.

As far as instructors selling their rEvos, it looks like the distributor is wvorking very hard to control independent trainers.

I believe Revo Rebreathers is the only manufacturer to have this kind of restriction of where an instructor can train or not train.
Back in the 90s, SSI Instructor Trainers were promised their own region. They could train/sell to people elsewhere but not in someone else’s 'territory'. Same thing. For obvious reasons, SSI tried to make their product/service more attractive to a potential retailer/Instructor Trainer. Understandably, some trainers were pretty pissed when SSI dropped that policy and other ITs were 'invading their' territory as the territory was part of the deal.
Paul would be effing over the South Florida dealer by allowing Jim to train in their territory the same way SSI screwed over some of their 'old' ITs.

As for the 'unfair' to Jim part: I've never been to Key Largo but I'm pretty sure it's just a normal, standard dive destination. What do they have that's special? Warm water, good viz, reef, wrecks, fish... that's what every half decent dive destination has. I understand that this can be a 'protected' region. There are literally hundreds of places like that all around the world. Cave country on the other hand is pretty unique, there aren't many places in the world (I actually can't think of any others) that have warm, easily accessible caves with great infrastructure for divers (there is not much point in using a breather in Mx). Hence, I can understand that this region cannot be given to one person exclusively.
It makes sense to me.

I do understand that Jim feels he is getting the shaft here, but hey, in the end of the day, it's Paul’s business and nobody is forcing Jim to use or train people on the revo. If the other instructors don't like this policy anymore, so what? Apparently, they were Ok with it before.

And Pete, you said we would have a right to know. We really don't. We don't have a right to see SBs internal business stuff either. I sure would like to know internal thinks about a lot of companies out there.

BoulderJohn, I'll answer your question. You're not allowed and Paul has explained to you why more than once... if you’re given a region you can teach there, not in someone else’s. You need to go someplace else or get a different breather.

To all of you guys that think what revo is doing is immoral: You guys are probably wearing stuff, sitting on stuff and typing on stuff that was made by somebody that is making 5 bucks a day (if that) with no health insurance and hardly any rights. Which is then sold by someone who is hardly making enough money to feed his or her family. So, giving a retailer an 'unfair' deal is immoral? You guys gotta be kidding, you must not know anything about the 'normal' business world. Diving is a business like any other, whether you like it or not.
If you guys wanna go after immoral company’s I suggest you get a reality check and learn just a little bit about how you shoes where made and sold.
Just putting stuff into perspective here.
FYI: I don't know Paul, I never used a revo but I think he is being treated unfairly. This thread is most certainly gonna cost him some business and I don't think he deserves that.
Pete, I believe you didn’t mean to but you been sticking it to Paul pretty good.
Sorry for ranting, don’t ban me again SB Mods.
n. They could train people elsewhere but not in someone elses 'territory'. Same thing, for obvious reasons, SSI tried to make their product/service more attactive to a potential retailer/Instructor Trainer.

As for the 'unfair' to Jim part: I've never been to Key Largo but I'm pretty sure it's just a normal, standart dive destination. What do the have that's special? Reef, wrecks, fish... that's what every half decent dive destination has, I understand that this can be a 'protected' region. There are literally hundreds of places like that all around the world. Cave country on the other hand is pretty unique, there aren't many places in the world (I actually can't think of any others) that have warm, easily acceccible caves with great infrastucture for divers (there is not much point in using a breather in Mx). Hence, I can understand that this region can not be given to one person exclusively.
It makes sense to me.

I do understand that Jim feels he is getting the shaft here and that it sucks for him, but hey, in the end of the day, it's Pauls business and nobody is forcing Jim to use or train people on the revo. If the other instructors don't like this policy anymore, so what? Apparently, they were Ok with it before.

And Pete, you said we would have a right to know. We really don't. We don't have a right to see SBs internal business stuff either. I sure would like to know a stuff about a lot of companies out there.

BoulderJohn, I'll answer your question. Your're not allowed and Paul has expained to you why more than once... if you given a region you can teach there, not in someone elses. You need to go some place else or get a different breather.

To all of you guys that think what revo is doing is immoral: You guys are probably wearing stuff, sitting on stuff and typing on stuff that was made by somebody that is making 5 bucks a day (if that) with no health insurance and hardly any rights. Is than sold by someone who is hardly making a enough money to feed his or her family So, giving a retailer an 'unfair' deal is immoral? You guys gotta be kidding, you must not know anything about the 'normal' business world. Diving is a business like any other, whether you like it or not.
If you give guys wanna go after immoral companys I suggest you get a reality check a learn just a little bit about how you shoes were made and sold.

FYI: I don't know Paul, I never used a revo but I think he is being treated unfairly. This thread is most certainly gonna cost him some business and I don't think he deserves that.

Pete, I believe you didn’t mean to but you been sticking it to Paul pretty good.

Sorry for ranting, don’t ban me again SB Mods.

And Pete, you said we would have a right to know. We really don't.
Sure we do. If we don't like the level of transparency of any particular business, we vote with our wallets. If we don't like the policies of any particular business we have that 'right' to do the same. We also have the right to discuss those policies and find out what others may know in regards to them. You might think you have privacy in your own little fishbowl, but the world is watching and taking notes.

tKY169pFT.jpg

To all of you guys that think what revo is doing is immoral:
I haven't used the word 'immoral' once to describe anything to do with Revo Rebreathers or any of their dealers. That's a huge distortion of what I or anyone else has said in this thread. I may not like macaroni and cheese, but that doesn't mean I think it's immoral. People should stop distorting what's being said here. This is not the Pub and we don't need to revert to those kinds of political tactics. You're more than free to disagree with me. I am not the arbiter of truth here or anywhere else. I know what I like and what I don't like. There is nothing sinister about that.

Interesting. All of the Florida Instructors work for Add Helium. Could this be a clue that maybe Add Helium is the rEvo rep for all of Florida, and if you want to sell rEvos, you need to work through Add Helium? Maybe there was never a North Florida sales unit for rEvo, and all Florida instructors are Add Helium employees or contractors. Perhaps that's why no one could produce a dealer agreement for North Florida.

The rEvo website does not list any independent instructors anywhere. Only dealers.

IJS

I haven't used the word 'immoral' once to describe anything to do with Revo Rebreathers or any of their dealers. That's a huge distortion of what I or anyone else has said in this thread.
You haven't, but I'm pretty sure I've read that word more than once in this thread. It's not a distortion. Lots of people have at least implied that revo is being unfair and therefore the wont by one... but revo is just sticking to their agreements. If revo would allow Jim do 'revo-business' in Key Largo, they would break the agreement they previously made with AddH. Again, it sucks for Jim and Jim should switch to another unit but I don't see that revo has any wiggle room at this point in time... revo would have to make a new agreement with AddH before they could allow that.

Besides, given Jim's high profile in the industry and his great reputation it's probably not gonna hurt him to 'lose' revo... I don't think there is a breather manufacturer on the planet that wouldn't want Jim to be an instructor on their unit. There a probably half a dozen rebreather manufacturers sucking up to Jim right now trying to convince him to switch to their unit. That's what I would do if I was making breathers.

My point was that I feel revo is treated a bit unfairly. As a few people already mentioned, it's not unlike what car manufacturers do.

I was kidding about the banning.

BoulderJohn, I'll answer your question. Your're not allowed and Paul has expained to you why more than once... if you given a region you can teach there, not in someone elses. You need to go some place else or get a different breather.

Well, actually, Paul just explained it to me directly in a personal email.

Let's assume I were to become a rEvo instructor in Colorado. If I occasionally came to Florida with my clients from Colorado, and I did not advertise to recruit local students nor work for a local competitor of the current dealer, then it would be ok. It appears that working for a competing business and advertising for local students would be the problem.

Key Largo is anything BUT normal. It's about more than the diving.
I meant in terms of the type of diving. Reef dives, wreck dives, trimix, rebreather etc. you can do in lots of places but where else in the world can you dive in caves that are deeper than 40', with great conditions and are as accessible as in cave country... If you know a place let me know, I really wanna go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom