Question Bailout gas configs for tech/deep chestmount rebreathers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see a lot of strait up stupid CCR gas planning. Primary gas aside, why is everyone in cave country afraid to take an 80 of O2. I see CCR divers planning an hour of deco with just a 40 for bailout, and probably not even a full one.
I am not sure that statement is accurate. But it is certainly subjective. What dive plans did you have in mind?

Have you ever considered that your instructor may not be correct or know everything? Just a thought.
Of course I do, however when I have read some of the “practices”, I realized he did very well.

I see a lot of strait up stupid CCR gas planning. Primary gas aside, why is everyone in cave country afraid to take an 80 of O2. I see CCR divers planning an hour of deco with just a 40 for bailout, and probably not even a full one.
Many of us can do 75minutes+ on a 40 of O2 especially when a 10ft stop is easy? what's the problem?

I am not sure that statement is accurate. But it is certainly subjective. What dive plans did you have in mind?
How about EOL at JB with two 50s and no stages.

Still only 1 o-ring from total gas loss.
The cylinder neck o-ring? I guess that is technically true.

Has someone seen a cylinder o-ring fail with loss of gas? Honest question. Had that cylinder been inspected and received a fresh o-ring within the past couple of years? Some trimix bailout cylinders are "permanent" and never serviced for up to decades. So yeah your comment does matter here.

The H valves I think have two o-rings at the joint? Just like manifolds? I mean it literally is exactly like a manifold, and serves the similar purpose of protecting against gas loss due to regulator failure. Plus regulator redundancy.

The cylinder neck o-ring? I guess that is technically true.

Has someone seen a cylinder o-ring fail with loss of gas? Honest question. Had that cylinder been inspected and received a fresh o-ring within the past couple of years? Some trimix bailout cylinders are "permanent" and never serviced for up to decades. So yeah your comment does matter here.

The H valves I think have two o-rings at the joint? Just like manifolds? I mean it literally is exactly like a manifold, and serves the similar purpose of protecting against gas loss due to regulator failure. Plus regulator redundancy.
Yes I have seen bubbling from tank neck o rings

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom