Flying with a Revo (mini) in the cabin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all; much appreciated.

Have a diving trip with the rebreather and sidemount rig. Obviously no cylinders.

I've stomped up for "premium economy" which includes two 23kg/50lb checked bags plus one overhead bag and one underseat bag.

Previously when flying with the unit I put the Revo in a Pelicase but that weighed in at 26kg/57lbs which *some* airlines will set their limits at, not BA who'll seize the opportunity for some Olympic-class gouging.

Definitely need to do some measuring and weighing. And search for a suitable backpack cover to keep the "normies" less worried. At least I'll be able to leave the computers on the unit. I guess leaving the loop on might be going a little too far!
Another tip is you can remove the remove handle. It makes it smaller but slightly more vulnerable. You can fold it down (if that makes sense?) to make it smaller or even take it off completely.
I always packed the loop, computers in a separate bag. I also stuff things inside the scrubber cartridges since it's empty space.

Actually funny story. I flew to Florida with completely full scrubbers once. I did not "volunteer" that the unit opened up. I walked on and off the plane with full scrubbers to my destination. Mainly because I just wanted to see if I could but I was arriving at midnight and by the time I got a rental car and got to my hotel the dive shop would have been closed and I really wanted to go diving the next morning. :)

Can you remove 3kg of brass, etc. from the pelican case and put it in the other/carryon?
Annoyingly the Revo Mini without the loop and computers still doesn't get down below their weight limit. The Pelicase is pretty heavy (weighed empty tonight at 7.8kg)

Yes, I could get a cheap suitcase and dogbasket to protect the unit... Just need to accept that the pelicase is too heavy and expensive!
:cry:

I also bought one of those fancy SF Tech neoprene covers to replace my "grill" cover I was using before.
Can you send a link to show what this look like?

@Heat Miser - the covers were made by SF Tech. The same company that makes awesome dry suits. They no longer make it, to my best knowledge. If you find one second hand, I highly recommend it.

@Wibble - Unless you want to start unscrewing things, there is no way you can fit a mini in Peli 1637 and not exceed the weight. If you must carry it on, do whatever you can to be one of the first people on the plane so that you have access to headroom storage. If I understand your route correctly, you're flying direct - should be ok. If you're flying regional and they run out of space, yeah, they can ask you to check it in.

Personally there is no way I'm checking my rebreather

Dug a little deeper and found that you can pay an excess baggage charge to increase the bag weight from 23kg/50lbs to 32kg/70lbs. "65 GBP / 75 EUR / 100 USD / 100 CAD per overweight bag and one-way journey"

This would mean I can load up the Pelicase with accessories, regulators or even the lead weights I’ll need for the sidemount rig.

I leave an Apple AirTag in each my cases. Has worked well for previous flights. Not a guarantee but at least I’ll know they’ve sent it to Bongo-Bongo Land.

Will spend the next few days sorting out and weighing the packing for the trip.

I flew with my Mini, back before I bought a Micro and sold the Mini.

I put the unit in a hard sided Samsonite suitcase, sandwiched between two memory foam dog beds.

It was just under the 50# limit (like, 49.5).

If I recall correctly, that was with the loop, computers, and stand removed. Stand stayed home and the rest was packed separately.

I use the same suitcase and padding now, with my Micro and it is under 50# with the rEvo factory stand packed in there, and (again, IIRC) the loop also.

That suitcase and padding has carried my rEvos to Utila and back, Bonaire and back, and 2 round trips from east coast to west coast via UPS. The suitcase doesn't even have any damage - much less damage to anything inside.

I carry too much camera equipment to bring my rEvo as a carry-on item.The suitcase works so well, I can't see any reason I'd even want to mess with a Pelican case for it. Especially if it's going to add weight, pushing the package well over 50#.

The suitcase works so well, I can't see any reason I'd even want to mess with a Pelican case for it. Especially if it's going to add weight, pushing the package well over 50#.
The pelican is heavier, but on a recent trip to Bikini with 3 x micro's the pelican looked pristine and the 2 x samsung's looked heavily scuffed/battered up, I think it's a crumple safe zone of the samsung's versus heavier and smaller armour-all approach of the pelican, there's no right answer except the samsung contained the micro's with the revo stand and they weighed a little more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom