Flying to Utila with rEvo Mini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm flying to Utila, taking my rEvo, in a couple of weeks. I have not flown a CCR anywhere before. I'm diving with Utila Dive Center, who will have cylinders to rent, O2 fills, and BO cylinders to rent.

My plan is to check a full, sealed jug of sorb as part of my luggage. There will be 3 of us with CCRs there, so it will go to good use. I'm flying Avianca, Dulles to San Salvador to Roatan, and then taking the ferry. As far as i can tell, the checked bag weight limit is 23kg and the sorb is 20. I will print out the MSDS and have it with me. Any thoughts on that part of the plan would be very welcome.

I am still trying to decide how best to actually transport my rEvo. It has a Don Six stand on it, which I guess I'll remove and not take with me. The major debate (in my head) is, do I get a hardsided suitcase and put the rEvo in there, packed in with clothes and stuff to protect it, then check it? Or do I take it as a carry-on, backpack-style?

I guess, either way, I would remove the BOV/loop hose assembly and use some plastic wrap and rubber bands to cover/seal the loop openings into the counter lungs. I have the rEvo travel tank fixations that will be clipped in place. Dust caps on the 1st stages. Scrubber baskets empty and in place inside. Predator controller and NERD2 monitor both removed and packed with the BOV in my "personal item" carry-on (? I guess? Or maybe the controller could stay attached and just tie-wrapped into a safe, protected spot, maybe where a cylinder would go?).

If I go backpack-style, do I need to rig up some kind of cover to cover it all up, so it just looks like a backpack with 2 webbing shoulder straps? Or could I lug it around with no cover on it? I will use velcro tie-wraps as needed to secure loose bits, like the first stages, MAV, and LPI.

Again, any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Please!

I take my rEvo mini expedition to Roatan 2 or 3 times a year. The one time I took a jug of sorb checked in a carry-on bag it went a little over the 50lbs they allow. It was not a biggie since I flew in first class (70lb bag allowance) the problem I encountered was the person at baggage X-ray demanded to know what it was and how much it was worth (duty) after producing the MSDS sheet and a little arguing I was allowed to proceed.
I have my machine in a Pelican Air hard case checked and everything else in my second suitcase except I always carry on my computers and cell tray and BOV and hoses.

@Divermikey Thanks for the info.

On the sorb, I was just going to check the jug by itself. Not in any kind of bag or case. Do you think that will pose a problem?

Regarding the sensor tray, is it a necessity to pull it and carry it? Or is that just being extra, overly cautious?

Any thoughts on carrying the unit as a backpack?

i always take my unit as a carry on after an unpleasant tsa experience of some friends where upon landing found their suitcases empty and the unit confiscated. Luckily they were able to recover it after a couple of days but it was a PITA and required friends in the area. i usually pack on the checked luggage, bc, cls other hardware etc.
Don't know about the sorb and what's the state of rb diving in udc after the passing of andy and since scott left, but i'm sure it will be lovely and you'll get to go for deep lionfish hunting :wink:

If you check you unit, keep in mind that heat will kill O2 cells. If the bag you pack it in is left sitting on the tarmac on top of the pile of other bags somewhere along the way, that could be enough. I've seen it happen with a unit left sitting in the back of a truck in Florida while we filled tanks. It wasn't a Revo, but just something to be aware of.

-Chris

@Divermikey Thanks for the info.

On the sorb, I was just going to check the jug by itself. Not in any kind of bag or case. Do you think that will pose a problem?

Regarding the sensor tray, is it a necessity to pull it and carry it? Or is that just being extra, overly cautious?

Any thoughts on carrying the unit as a backpack?
I've not flown in to El Salvador so not sure on that. Personally I would put something around the jug to cover it and prevent any cuts to the jug. Also you may get it thru without any duty or bribery to pay....

As far as the cells go, I would never check my cell tray since heat and shock can kill your cells and we know how they like to throw bags in and out of the planes. Its super easy to unplug the tray from the 4 and 5 pin connectors, as well as unplugging your Petrel for carrying it on also

I have flown in and out of Roatan many times with mine in a Pelican case and all foam padded with zero issues. However my dive buddy does carry his on with a cover on it so it looks like a backpack and that works for him. My concern is being told to check it because the airline says the overheads are full. I also printed and laminated the sheet that Jill Heinreth had posted that explains what a rebreather is and why it is not a threat to air travel.

I don't know how big a mini is, but you always want to carry on as much of the rebreather as you can. Checking it is just asking for it to get lost, stolen, or damaged

i had a stainless mini and put it in a pelican 1615 air case and was able to pad it a bit and keep under weight....but not well protected. I had a towel and wet suit in there and a few other things. I has rollers and a collapsing handle that can be removed but only saves a pound. One of the big reasons i upgraded to what i have now was for fitting into the right case at the right weight.

i had a stainless mini and put it in a pelican 1615 air case and was able to pad it a bit and keep under weight....but not well protected. I had a towel and wet suit in there and a few other things. I has rollers and a collapsing handle that can be removed but only saves a pound. One of the big reasons i upgraded to what i have now was for fitting into the right case at the right weight.
If I take my breathing loop off my mini it weighs 48lbs in the Pelican case ready to go. But it is titanium, saves 1 or 2 pounds.

Flying out of the USA sorb is probably fine with the MSDS as a backup. I would make sure its still got the original seal.
I would be sure to use up your sorb though, flying back is a mystery what is flagged for review or just randomly banned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom