Flying to Utila with rEvo Mini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really think the travel issues with dive gear, can lights, and rebreathers are going by the wayside. We've traveled to multiple caribbean destinations and Mexico without ever a question. The only issue I ever had was I had a multitool in my carryon that had an oring pick. They confiscated it because it could be used as a weapon. We have also travelled to france twice with technical gear. First time we flew into Toulouse and out of Paris with no issue. The second time we flew into England then to France without an issue. I'm sure issues occur, but compared to 10 years ago they're much better.

I really think the travel issues with dive gear, can lights, and rebreathers are going by the wayside. We've traveled to multiple caribbean destinations and Mexico without ever a question. The only issue I ever had was I had a multitool in my carryon that had an oring pick. They confiscated it because it could be used as a weapon. We have also travelled to france twice with technical gear. First time we flew into Toulouse and out of Paris with no issue. The second time we flew into England then to France without an issue. I'm sure issues occur, but compared to 10 years ago they're much better.
I flew Seattle > Amsterdam > Stockholm and back with no questions at all. Large li-ion primary light and a scrubber heater battery in my carryon.

I didn't bring any tools, sorb or a scooter though. And the sidewinder barely looks like scuba gear compared to my Meg which looks a lot like a cylinder on Xray

Just a general question not related to your specific gear, but how did you manage to juggle all those bags on the rest of the journey after Baggage Claim--getting from the airport to the ferry, getting on and off the ferry and to your lodging? I have never attempted to bring more luggage than I can lug by myself. I do realize there are such things as carts and porters, but I don't like the idea of being dependent on such to get around.

Just a general question not related to your specific gear, but how did you manage to juggle all those bags on the rest of the journey after Baggage Claim--getting from the airport to the ferry, getting on and off the ferry and to your lodging? I have never attempted to bring more luggage than I can lug by myself. I do realize there are such things as carts and porters, but I don't like the idea of being dependent on such to get around.

I was very fortunate on this trip. At the last minute, one of my friends from my scuba club decided to come on the trip. He's purely recreational and doesn't own any gear. He rented everything there. His only luggage was a carry-on and a personal item. I had 2 checked bags, a carry-on and a personal item. So, as needed, he handled one of my bags for me.

With my backpack on my back, I could manage 2 bags and he took care of my one other. Also, we had shuttles or tuk tuks to carry us between the airport and ferry and the ferry and Inn. The drivers of those were very proactive in grabbing all our bags and taking care of them for us. It was mostly just inside the airports before check-in and after baggage claim that I needed help, and my buddy that traveled with me totally covered me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom