Rix for Sale, Hamburg, NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Specs say weight #155 lbs with Honda 8hp gas.

2 people with alittle oomph can move it around ok. I have had multiple back reconstructions and have little issues with moving it around on the boat... I just make sure I have another set of hands if it needs to be lifted or carried.

JD...nobody here is an "Enabler"...we are simply saying...that it is a phenominal deal regardless of condition or rational. You NEED this compressor...you MUST have this compressor. Join the cabel of compressor owners who are the elite group of individuals who can convince themselves no matter what..that owning a scuba compressor allows me to " Save money"...." not rely on the inconvenient hours of a dive shop for fills"... or just plain be able to waste hours in the garage...ie, "I have a convenient excuse to drinka beer in the garage while filling a tank"...lol.

But no matter what...remember... you have a dive compressor...suddenly you will have ALOT of "friends" who will drop by and "oh by the way"...can you fill these 3 80's, top of fthis set of doubled lp103's, and give me a cave fill on that set of sidemount LP85's in case I wanna hit Dutch Springs this weekend?"

Ain't life grand??....:yeahbaby::yeahbaby::yeahbaby::yeahbaby::yeahbaby:
155 is going to need a skid-board for loading, I'll probably be doing it myself. I've moved a 2-ton milling machine between locations twice with 1 or 2 other people. I'll figure 155# out.

Well, Rob has "not" been "enabling" me for a while. :wink: This pales in comparison to some of the (ad)ventures we had considered.

If Dutch was still a practical thing 😢, it would be more urgent. Now it is more of "too good to pass up" for future use. I guess more time to obsess on setting it up to be the UBER-Filler.

Radio silence from the seller so far. 😟

Well, Facebook :mad: Never got a notification, even though the seller messaged me back first thing this morning.

Anyway, we talked. History is very vague at this point. Bought by a now-deceased relative, 8 or so years ago. It is unclear what the source (seems to be Mil-Surp) and operational status was at that point, although it supposedly had little to no use since, which could be good or very bad, depending on storage conditions and if it was running at all. Shroud off and missing does not give me the warm fuzzies though - WHY? Seller is posting it for the relatives and will start looking for the numerous missing the components.

A quick look at last-years parts list (some of those parts $ are truly WTF!) leads me to believe that if it was otherwise running perfectly, I'm in for $1-2K for baseline parts to make it operational if they are not found (depending on RIX vs. aftermarket where possible - excluding any filter or rebuild parts.) FWIW, I think the shroud is pretty important for cooling!

Now I wait.

155 is going to need a skid-board for loading, I'll probably be doing it myself. I've moved a 2-ton milling machine between locations twice with 1 or 2 other people. I'll figure 155# out.

Well, Rob has "not" been "enabling" me for a while. :wink: This pales in comparison to some of the (ad)ventures we had considered.

If Dutch was still a practical thing 😢, it would be more urgent. Now it is more of "too good to pass up" for future use. I guess more time to obsess on setting it up to be the UBER-Filler.

Radio silence from the seller so far. 😟
I wanted to both laugh and cry at this post.
Well, Facebook :mad: Never got a notification, even though the seller messaged me back first thing this morning.

Anyway, we talked. History is very vague at this point. Bought by a now-deceased relative, 8 or so years ago. It is unclear what the source (seems to be Mil-Surp) and operational status was at that point, although it supposedly had little to no use since, which could be good or very bad, depending on storage conditions and if it was running at all. Shroud off and missing does not give me the warm fuzzies though - WHY? Seller is posting it for the relatives and will start looking for the numerous missing the components.

A quick look at last-years parts list (some of those parts $ are truly WTF!) leads me to believe that if it was otherwise running perfectly, I'm in for $1-2K for baseline parts to make it operational if they are not found (depending on RIX vs. aftermarket where possible - excluding any filter or rebuild parts.) FWIW, I think the shroud is pretty important for cooling!

Now I wait.
I wouldn't be too concerned with the missing shroud. I'm sure she might be able to locate it.. I would get more $$ knocked off if she can't. Just shave off the cost of the shroud from whatever you were willing to pay before. That's fair.

Rix parts are expensive, but when you get down to the nuts and bolts you really won't ever need that much. A complete rebuild is just a hair over $500, and that's including the special 3rd stage tool. I posted a parts list in my Rix Parts thread.

My Rix came with a shroud made out of sheet metal, probably cost less than $30 in materials to fabricate at the most. Any sheet metal shop could roll it in a few minutes. Works fine.

My Rix came with a shroud made out of sheet metal, probably cost less than $30 in materials to fabricate at the most. Any sheet metal shop could roll it in a few minutes. Works fine.
That's a great idea.. any pics? What did you use for a screen on the front to protect the fan?

and...remember..... Rix engineered this thing to run constant duty cycles at 3600psi...and while yes, the shroud is important in regards to heat removal...I have ZERO qualms that a small electric fan would MORE than suffice if your worried about cooling...

For my duty, I fill HP 100's and doubles ( LP72) 3-4 fills a day...pumping to average 3k or so, and have NEVER...felt that it was getting really hot. Quite frankly...I wouldn't let the shroud issue stop me. Not for a minute.

I really don't think you can go wrong here...if she turns freely, the bearings are good, and the thrust riders are not worn...the cylinders as far as a "worse case scenario" rebuild...is $500 in parts including the heads.

If you can get it for 1k...even if you decide you don't want to put money in it...I'm willing to bet ( and I am not a gamblin man) that you could turn it over for what you put in it...

If I have the ching I'd probably take it off your hands just so I have a spare.

Seriously...I have used Mako's, Bauer's, Coultri.... hands down, the Rix is the winner. Good clean air, no worries about hydrocarbons, no oils, just keep a filter in it, run a decent snorkle for the air intake, fire it up and go. It's portable, it's mil-spec, and it just freakin works. I think as highly of my Rix as I do my Shearwater computers...

Rob says " Just buy it" ... that way he'll feel better about pushing you over the edge of the compressor owner cliff lol. Not that he'd ever "enable" you....

Bubs... ( the non-enabler guy)

I took the LONG day of driving (5:15am to 9:45pm about 75% in the car) yesterday. Got there and popped the belts to do a quick hand-checkout. Everything appears to be OK, Compressor and engine turn nicely, compressor bearings seem fine and I get compressorish noises when I spin it.

Once I was there, we were able to find the fuel system, intake hose, and whip with PBR, so I gave them more than the pre-agreed price. Condition was a little better than I was allowing for - hopefully fair to all. Unfortunately, still no shroud - from the verbal history, I am guessing that it may have been broken in transit; evidently the crate was, so maybe it broke the shroud too.

I have some cleaning to do. 2001 build and It has been sitting for at least 10 years. The mice have been around although I didn't notice chew-damage. I'll start doing some cleanup on it this week.

At some point, I will probably start a dedicated thread for this unit and I'll try to remember to put a pointer here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom