New to me fill station. Working through the issues.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not an illusion. How the hell it passed inspection and hydro in 2015 is beyond me. It has seen almost no use since then and it doesn't look new. This one will get a hydro. I'm wondering if it isn't from the manufacturing process. The tank is flat on the bottom but concave inside so there is a lot of material in the bottom corner. It's all I can think. It needs a good tumble too right? I'll do the other two tonight.

I picked up the sample kit from Trace Analytics but I didn't get around to using it. Too many other chores and then I decided to pull those valves myself so I had to figure out a method for that that didn't involve chains or clamps. I'll try to get it done tonight but it will be my first time so I want to read through the instructions a couple more times.

my hydro guy blasts the inside of the bank bottles if you take them there, may want to get that done if you don't have a tumbler big/robust enough for that beasty

I took the other valves off and the last two just had a bit of flash rust from what I can tell. I found a place that will shot blast them for 25$ each. Sounds like cheap peace of mind. I haven't found out if they will require a new hydro after as some do. More will be revealed. The water is warming up so it's time to get this moved along.

Looking into building a Nitrox Stick. Found a light duty Harris O2 regulator for 62$. Need to find the other parts. Bought my 250cf Os bottle. Coz trip is getting close so it's going to get slow on this project for awhile but I'd like to accumulate the parts before we go if I can. Tested the compressor air. Results soon.

I would use any of those tanks if they passed hydro I would use them. I just acquired 11 old out of hydro tanks. Had them hydroed at the welding company, had aviators breathing O2 put in them. They come with a certification. so far I got 5 back no failures. Those tanks are made to be beat around and could probably hold twice the pressure without a problem. Keep air in them and use them is the best scenario. I'm not saying to put more pressure in them, just that they probably could. Good luck with the SA6 you will need it.

Here are the test results:

Sampled On 4/5/2017
Sampled From Rix SA-6 Compressor
Oxygen, Volume % 21.1(Z)
Nitrogen, Volume % 78.0
Argon, Volume % .9
Carbon Monoxide (CO), ppmv 1.9
Carbon Dioxide (CO2), ppmv 24
Water Content (H2O), ppmv/Dewpoint, °F <3.4 / <-91
TVHC (including CH4), ppmv 11.7
Methane (CH4) ppmv 2.4
TVHC (excluding CH4), ppmv 9.3
Oil (condensed) & Particulate, mg/m3 <0.12

As far as I can tell, that would make it OCA. Is that correct?

CO seems high but not dangerous, with a Rix the most likely source is CO at the inlet, something to check. Does your filtration have hopcalite? Some Rix setups have desiccant and carbon only, which I don't think is wise.

I'm using a LF X53247 filter with 13x, hopcalite and carbon capped with silica gel. OCA allows 2 ppm CO so 1.9 is indeed bumping it. Not sure where it would come from but I'm pretty sure it and the methane came from the same source but for different reasons. DINNER! cooking it and digesting it.

Looking into building a Nitrox Stick. Found a light duty Harris O2 regulator for 62$. Need to find the other parts. Bought my 250cf Os bottle. Coz trip is getting close so it's going to get slow on this project for awhile but I'd like to accumulate the parts before we go if I can. Tested the compressor air. Results soon.
I fed one O2 regulator into another one. I drop the pressure to about 150 with the first one and then down to 50 with the second. It keeps the second regulator output very stable as the pressure in the bottle drops.

Back
Top Bottom