New to me fill station. Working through the issues.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RayfromTX

Student Of Gas Mixology
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently bought a rather complete fill station that is mixed gas capable. The setup was available as a complete "working" system but I'm not exactly sure how much work it had actually done. What I found tonight really gives me pause and I feel a bit like I'm on a giant trust me dive. It's a long story so bear with me.

I was shopping for a compressor and a Rix SA-6 was definitely on the list. I read for a few weeks here and on the other sites and basically read everything I could find on compressors and filtration etc. back to around 2004. The Rix doesn't come up for sale often and when it does it usually needs some level of a rebuild which can be simple or major. I discovered that low and behold there was a really nice system right here in my little town that was for sale last fall and when I contacted the seller, it was still available and he wanted to move it.

The setup consisted of an old SA-6 that he had upgraded with stainless inter-stage coils and heads and some gauges at the coalescers. The seller told me it had 33 hours on it but the hour meter said 5 so who knows. There were 4 t-bottles that were filled with air to 4,500 psi and were 18 months into their hydro. There was a International Hydraulics 2-stage booster built for oxygen and a home made mixing board with 4 whips for helium or oxygen and 4 whips for air from the bank. There was an almost new LF AF-531-111-f filter tower with two extra filters. From what I had learned, this was a nice setup for PP blending and we worked out a price and I carted it all home to begin an adventure or a saga, I didn't know which. I thrive on setting up systems and I knew that it would be about what I learned and what I created as much as it would be about filling tanks. Diving trimix wasn't in my original plan and is still a ways off but worst case was I could sell it as it was a collection of good parts as long as there were no big hidden surprises.

I got it set up and even bought a larger shop compressor to run the booster some day but the priority valve had an issue where the differential was 2,300 psi so I didn't want to replace the filter until I got that sorted out and they took a long while to admit it was a problem and get it replaced so in the meantime I didn't pump any air for breathing because the filter was 18 months old even if it hadn't been used much. I figured I could use the banked air in the meantime. "Trust me air"

That brings me to tonight. I plumbed in the replacement priority valve and even though the differential pressure is still 1,500 psi, I figure if I adjust it to 3,000 it will hold 1,500 in the filter to protect it and it's not perfect but it will work. Went to replace the eyeball element and LF had sent me the wrong one so bummer. When I went to replace the filter it got really interesting. I pulled the old filter out and the color indicator strip was still completely blue. This filter was installed 18 months ago and had not been pressurized for most of that time. WTF! I looked at the top of the filter and the snap out plug was still in place. Say what? This means that all the air that had been pumped into those bank cylinders never saw desiccant and they've been that way for over a year. How did it even pump air? I'm going to guess that my HP100s that I filled from them are ok because I was transfilling from 4,500 down to 3,400 so while not ideal, the higher pressure storage in effect dehumidified the air for my scuba tanks but I'll have to do a visual on them anyway.

I have to figure out how to pull the valves on the big bottles(daaammmiiiittttt) and they will probably need a tumble at least. I need to call the seller and warn him about his tanks because they may be wet as well and I will need to just dump all the air from all the tanks because even though the Rix is oil-less, I still would be more comfortable if the air had seen hopcalite since I don't know what was going on in or near his garage when he was filling. Does that about cover it?

I'm looking for advice and direction. Oh boy oh boy oh boy. Oh, looking like saga, eh?

Start by pouring one large glass of whisky into the operator. Open wallet.
Do a full check/hydro/tumble/teardown/rebuild now and don't take shortcuts. Enjoy safe air with peace of mind for long time to come.

Empty ones of the storage cylinders and take it to a hydro shop. Ask them to take the valve off and do a visual. (You can do this yourself, but those valves can be a real pain to remove/replace)

My guess is they will be fine.
(As long as the coalesces were working fine, and priority valve was keeping good pressure)

Do not use that filter, it is more than likely damaged now. Pressure probably cracked the filter cartridge housing and it is leaking.
(Probably aroind the glued edges of the bottom and top caps, or possibly the clear housing might have small cracks as well)

Put a new filter cartridge in, empty all the storage cylinders, and fill them via the new filter cartridge.

Once all is working correctly, have the air tested, for your own piece of mind.

I already replaced the filter and I'm slowly adding water to the old one to get an empirical notion of how much it will absorb (actually adsorb I suppose in this case). A LOT! I didn't think about the housing cracking. I'm surprised it didn't blow the removable tab out since that seems to be the weak point. The sides of the filter would be supported by the pressure housing.

I didn't find any visible damage to the cartridge upon close inspection. I have no idea how the air leaked past it to fill the bank tanks.

If you follow LF guide lines for their filters, shelf life is 2 years and INSTALLED life is a maximum of 6 months, even if the indicator strip is still a pretty shade of blue. So you either use the filter up in 6 months or replace it. If you choose to set your own guide lines (beyond OEM recommendations), just make sure you are the only one breathing the product gas. It is amazing how fast a "friend" can find a lawyer that will pounce upon the fact that OEM guide lines weren't followed in the case of an accident. Just saying.

BTW, the cartridge is held in place by gravity. If the plug in the top is still there the cartridge will simply "lift up" and be bypassed under flow.

Last edited:
I have drained down the scuba tanks and they were all clean and dry inside as I suspected. I found a place locally that will pull the valves for me on the bank tanks for 10$ each. That will be where I find water if it is to be found. I have set up an account with Trace Analytics which I pass on my way to work every day. I will be testing my air soon now that I'm pumping my own. One step at a time.

I pulled a valve from one of my bank tanks today. The only good news is there was no water inside. on the other hand here are some pictures of what I found.
IMG_1621.JPG
IMG_1622.JPG
IMG_1623.JPG
IMG_1624.JPG
IMG_1625.JPG
IMG_1626.JPG

Tank number 2 looked a bit better.
IMG_1627.JPG
IMG_1627.JPG
IMG_1628.JPG
IMG_1630.JPG
IMG_1631.JPG
IMG_1632.JPG
IMG_1633.JPG

Is that a river sized pit on the bottom of that first one?
Or an optical illusion?

Back
Top Bottom