Risk your life for these 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone have a link to these previous discussions on SB?

I was reading through the comments on the youtube video and one person points out that their rental wetsuits has the dive ops name emblazoned across the arm (STUART COVE in big bold letters at 3:26). Lot of people seem to be attacking the divemaster, in my personal opinion, rightfully so. He should have kept a better eye on the divers, especially the 12 year old kid, especially on a wall dive. Don't you think that if it was fake, Stuart Cove would come out and say so, if nothing else than to defend his shop and his DM??

Not a slam against Stuart Cove, I've always heard good things about them. Just pointing out that if it was in fact fake, I would think he would say that b/c it makes his DM look very irresponsible.

No one ever seems to post what happens once out of the water. I want to hear that part! I want to hear what the hell these people were thinking!!

It really is sad. That is why I will not associate or dive with someone like that. They, in the end, will put themselves and possibly me at risk and that is not cool. Call it conservative, call it boring....that is who I would rather dive with. I hope your friend has a happier ending that NWGratefulDiver's friend.

I agree. Come to think of it, that was the last time we were dive buddies. I have been on a couple of trips with him since but my wife is usually my dive buddy now and I am more than content with staying about 25 to 70 ft. That's where I find the best stuff to video anyway.

Does anyone have a link to these previous discussions on SB?

I will try to track one down in my Subscribed threads but I do not recall anybody who was involved beyond just finding the video on youtube getting involved. So, I do not think you will see what you want to see in them.

I'll try to find at least one.

I will try to track one down in my Subscribed threads but I do not recall anybody who was involved beyond just finding the video on youtube getting involved. So, I do not think you will see what you want to see in them.

I'll try to find at least one.

That's ok. But it would just be interesting to ask those who were calling it fake how they could be so sure, since Stuart Cove never came out and defended the shop by saying it was fake. That just doesn't make sense to me, which leads me to believe it is in fact...real.

Well, here is one link and I will try find the others because I am certain there is at least one more. And, I am one of the people that believes it is staged and not real. Am I 100% certian? Of course not because I was not there but nothing in the video leaves me with the impression that there any real concern, rush, panic....nothing. Maybe it is just how I interperet the movie but it is how I interperet the movie. There ya go....you have heard from one of us :D.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...6-recent-near-miss-bahamas-found-youtube.html

That's ok. But it would just be interesting to ask those who were calling it fake how they could be so sure, since Stuart Cove never came out and defended the shop by saying it was fake. That just doesn't make sense to me, which leads me to believe it is in fact...real.

Well, here is one link and I will try find the others because I am certain there is at least one more. And, I am one of the people that believes it is staged and not real. Am I 100% certian? Of course not because I was not there but nothing in the video leaves me with the impression that there any real concern, rush, panic....nothing. Maybe it is just how I interperet the movie but it is how I interperet the movie. There ya go....you have heard from one of us :D.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...6-recent-near-miss-bahamas-found-youtube.html

I don't think we can say it's fake based on the lack of rush, panic, etc. First of all we don't actually see their reaction when they realize how low they are on air, we don't see their ascent from 140 ft. We see when he catches up to them, then not again until they are almost to safety at 15 feet. Plus I think many divers that are saved from very dangerous situations may not even realize just how much trouble they were really in.

I don't think we can say it's fake based on the lack of rush, panic, etc.
I suppose there are divers out there who routinely video their depth gauges during the dive, but it seems like an odd coincidence and definitely not a recipe for National-Geographic-quality video. The video was amusing to me for a couple of reasons: the plumes of sand off of the diver's fins and the shot of all the divers swimming vertically in place off the wall, probably all over-weighted. It is easy to imagine this group following the divemaster to any depth like sheep, with total disregard for the dive plan and their gas supplies.

As to the OP's question: I would certainly have gone down to help these two, and think the risk would have been minimal. I once had the privilege of rescuing a drowning diver and it brought with it a satisfaction that I cannot adequately describe.

Part of my job is saving lives. Even while risking mine to do it. I and my family understand and know this. What my family won't accept is for me to die while scuba diving. They know it's a high risk "sport" and have asked me that if given a choice, please be sure I make it back.

Some do not consider that situation in the video to be too risky. I do. I see it as taking a major risk of there being 3 victims instead of 2. How? Once again, picture those 2 running out of air as you reach them at 150'. What do you do with 2 panicked divers at 150' and not enough air for 3? You can't assume they WILL be calm and not suck you dry, and be capable of sharing air.

Perhaps I WOULD do the same he did when the time comes. For now I hope not. To ME the risk is HIGH. Perhaps that is where we differ. I owe it to my family first, to survive. She "allows" me to continue my diving as long as I don't dive "on the edge" or kill myself trying to be a hero. With work she understands.

I suppose there are divers out there who routinely video their depth gauges during the dive, but it seems like an odd coincidence and definitely not a recipe for National-Geographic-quality video.

I, personally, just saw it has him wanting to document the event.

The video was amusing to me for a couple of reasons: the plumes of sand off of the diver's fins and the shot of all the divers swimming vertically in place off the wall

I noticed that too, and shook my head. Not so much the terrible trim...because I use to have the most tragic trim ever, I've gotten much better, but still have room to improve. But the guy kicking up all the sand (probably kicking the reef along the way) with his fins :shakehead: Terrible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom