Risk your life for these 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they were DIR this wouldn't have happened. . .

Are you kidding me??? Those were Home Depot Stainless snaps they were using!!! They are lucky to be alive.

Are you kidding me??? Those were Home Depot Stainless snaps they were using!!! They are lucky to be alive.

Holy CRAPOLA!!! I am surprised they didnt stick open and get hung up on the side of the boat!!

OK, end :hijack:.

But seriously this has been discussed many times and at greater than great detail.

I would have gone after them but I hope I would have done it sooner than the guy with the camera. But at least he did go get them and probably saved two lives that day.

I actually had a buddy of mine decide two years ago that on a dive in Roatan, he wanted to do a personal best deep dive. He's a grown man and when he sets his mind to something he pretty much is going to do it. So he wanted to go to 150 ft. at the beginning of the dive and then come to the shallows to finish the dive. So I tell him I'll drop to 130 with him and hover above while he gets his 150. Vis was excellent. So down he goes.....and goes....and goes until I catch him at 181 and grab him and up we go. I thought the guy was in trouble so that's why I went after him. He told me later that he felt great at 150 and decided to go for 200.

He now understands that if he decides he wants to break 181, he's totally on his own.
I had a friend who broke an all-time longevity record like that ... his dive lasted over 10 months. Another diver eventually found his body sticking out of the mud at 205 feet.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

but would still try to save someone stupid as long as my safety was not compromised.

You don't consider that compromising your safety? 2 vacation divers that deep with that much bottom time on single cylinders. Have you ever seen what happens when an OOA divers panic?(quite a few on YouTube) They either shoot for the surface or they shoot for you. Now think of TWO panicked divers being next to you at 150'. Or you having to share your air with both all the way up.

OK, end :hijack:.

But seriously this has been discussed many times and at greater than great detail.

Sorry. I didn't know it was discussed. I've been away from ScubaBoard during the ski season. I'll do a search for that thread.

I am a new diver and I beleave i would have at least tried. And iI would hope some one would do the same far me . I would hope all divers would look ut for each other. I thank that would at least try

You don't consider that compromising your safety? 2 vacation divers that deep with that much bottom time on single cylinders. Have you ever seen what happens when an OOA divers panic?(quite a few on YouTube) They either shoot for the surface or they shoot for you. Now think of TWO panicked divers being next to you at 150'. Or you having to share your air with both all the way up.

If I believe that I could safely get them to the surface, I would make the effort. If my judgement was wrong and something happened to me, then I suppose I went out in style. I cannot, as a human being, say blindly that I would have done nothing. I would have assessed the situation and circumstances at the time and made my decisions. A lot of things are needed to make that decision and not enough are present to say how it would unfold. If I saw something that made me feel that my safety would be compromised to the point of endangering myself, then I would leave them be. My point is, I would have to make that decision with the information before me at that time.

ScubaSteve...I agree with you. I would approach them, take a look at their air supply, see that it's at 200, then I watch them as they panic and shoot for the surface. Will I try to hold them down? I'm not trying to be a hero. The chances of this 140 lbs body slowing 2 scared divers shooting for the surface is slim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom