"Right to Repair" - Potentially great news for DIY!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One more question. I've got Bronze (aluminum bronze) anchors. That's the right material for salt water, right? For some reason the manufacturer of the anchors suggests they're a poor choice for salt water pools (3000ppm, not 30,000 like the ocean). Sales BS or solid recommendation?

I hear those stories all the time but no one has been able to actually factually document one of these.

Meaning: Here is the PFL card. Here is my sales receipt from the dealer and here are my receipts for each annual service. If you miss a service, PFL is void.

The new PFL promotion requires a BCD, computer and reg set all purchased within a year from the first item. It must be registered with SP and regs must be serviced at two year intervals by an authorized SP dealer. All items must be purchased from an authorized dealer in the USA. If you miss a service by a few months, SP is generally quite flexible but miss it for a year and you lose.

SP are still good about replacing batteries in Aladins and other vintage computers if you're the original owner and can prove it.
I have only an electronic log of the service dates/costs. Hopefully it will do, as according to Magnuson moss the onus is on the manufacturer to prove that something isn't covered. It's not supposed to be my duty to prove that it is.

In a court, that might be iffy. I suspect as part of an FTC enforcement, things would be a little more favorable for the consumer.

Edit: I filled out the FTC complaint form. We'll see if it goes anywhere.

I have only an electronic log of the service dates/costs. Hopefully it will do, as according to Magnuson moss the onus is on the manufacturer to prove that something isn't covered. It's not supposed to be my duty to prove that it is.

In a court, that might be iffy. I suspect as part of an FTC enforcement, things would be a little more favorable for the consumer.

Edit: I filled out the FTC complaint form. We'll see if it goes anywhere.

I doubt it. I wish you the best of luck. SP have been adamant about these rules for a long while. In this case the onus is on you to show that you have maintained your gear. We used to complete the service record online with SP for every service. If your LDS didn't do that, you could argue it with them. That's how the store gets the service kits from SP. Check to see that PFL is valid, then request those kits. Customer gets them for free. SP have a record of the service.

The older gear is more difficult. Call Jules and check to see if the original owner data is in SP system. If not, they have to have an original receipt in their name. Anything else is SOL.

You should be grandfathered in under the old plan. If they refuse to honor the free parts, call Scubapro. You can’t go back to 2013 and buy a BC.

I hear those stories all the time but no one has been able to actually factually document one of these.

Meaning: Here is the PFL card. Here is my sales receipt from the dealer and here are my receipts for each annual service. If you miss a service, PFL is void.

The new PFL promotion requires a BCD, computer and reg set all purchased within a year from the first item. It must be registered with SP and regs must be serviced at two year intervals by an authorized SP dealer. All items must be purchased from an authorized dealer in the USA. If you miss a service by a few months, SP is generally quite flexible but miss it for a year and you lose.

SP are still good about replacing batteries in Aladins and other vintage computers if you're the original owner and can prove it.

You should be grandfathered in under the old plan. If they refuse to honor the free parts, call Scubapro. You can’t go back to 2013 and buy a BC.
Agreed. As long as the buyer is still alive, whatever the deal was at the time of purchase should still be valid.

I had almost a similar issue with my Zeagle regs. Shortly after Huish bought Zeagle, my dive shop told me they were ending the free parts program. I thought that didn’t sound quite legal. When they told me about that, it was either still in place, or my LDS comped the parts for my service that year. By the time the next service interval came around, the parts were included again.

In this case the onus is on you to show that you have maintained your gear.
Magnusun Moss specifically says it's on the manufacturer to prove otherwise. It's written out in plain English.

Magnusun Moss specifically says it's on the manufacturer to prove otherwise. It's written out in plain English.

So I promise that I’ve had it serviced every two years? Good luck with that.

So I promise that I’ve had it serviced every two years? Good luck with that.
I'm sure the ftc or whoever was enforcing the law would take your records - including handwritten records from self-service.

I'm sure the ftc or whoever was enforcing the law would take your records - including handwritten records from self-service.
Scubapro makes service by an AUTHORISED dealer every two years a condition for free parts. Read the contract. C'mon quit joshing here. Enforcing what law? FTC is now involved in the Parts for Life program? Seriously?

Back
Top Bottom