"Right to Repair" - Potentially great news for DIY!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manufacturer abuses have spread like a cancer across products and industries. "Don't buy Apple" doesn't work when 99% of other smartphone manufacturers feature a locked-down bootloader, mostly non-replaceable parts, and an OS laden with spyware and garbage that you can't uninstall without putting on custom ROM (see locked-down bootloader). We are no longer in a place where picking the lesser of evils is a viable strategy. The lesser evils realize they can make more money off of you and it's become a race to the bottom, with Apple, John Deere, Tesla, etc. just happening to lead in that race.

So yeah, people are bringing up these companies as the headliner targets. But the truth is that you probably can't get good repairs or schematics off an HP laptop or a Samsung phone.

Another note: medical device repair has also evolved into a mess from abuses

So a random youtube weirdo talking into a studio mic in his basement is making it sound like everyone in America has a stereo microscope and an SMT rework station and is just clamoring to fix their android phone? Or their pacemakers ventilators and MRI machines?

The next video YouTube suggested I watch was someone proving the earth is flat.

Probably not the best source of public policy information.

So a random youtube weirdo talking into a studio mic in his basement is making it sound like everyone in America has a stereo microscope and an SMT rework station and is just clamoring to fix their android phone? Or their pacemakers ventilators and MRI machines?
It's not about everyone in the literal sense. Like someone else said, it's mostly about giving third-parties the opportunity to fix your stuff, versus the manufacturer being the only option. Not gonna address your personal attacks on the guy or association with whatever shows up in your sidebar.

It's not about everyone in the literal sense. Like someone else said, it's mostly about giving third-parties the opportunity to fix your stuff, versus the manufacturer being the only option. Not gonna address your personal attacks on the guy or association with whatever shows up in your sidebar.
Agreed. The arguments should be attacked, not the person.

Agreed. The arguments should be attacked, not the person.
What? No ad hominems??? What kind of discussion is that??? :D :D :D

There are a number of logical errors found in every thread here on ScubaBoard. It's as lamentable as it is typical. Most (?) people have never taken a course on persuasive writing, debate, or communication, and it shows. A few are really, really stuck on driving their point home rather than learning from the give and take. Even fewer become POV warriors (Point of View) and will attempt to turn every thread they're in they can into a rant about their topic du jour.

It's good to realize that most (?) of us have not come to ScubaBoard for a fight, much less a debate. We're here for some good discussions that will help us in our love of Scuba. Give and take. Back and forth. Not an attitude where we think "MY OPPONENT MUST DIE!" Just a few random thoughts on a bright and beautiful Saturday morning with most of the North Florida Springs closed due to flooding. :(

What? No ad hominems??? What kind of discussion is that??? :D :D :D
There are a number of logical errors found in every thread here on ScubaBoard. It's as lamentable as it is typical. Most (?) people have never taken a course on persuasive writing, debate, or communication, and it shows. A few are really, really stuck on driving their point home rather than learning from the give and take. Even fewer become POV warriors (Point of View) and will attempt to turn every thread they're in they can into a rant about their topic du jour.
It's good to realize that most (?) of us have not come to ScubaBoard for a fight, much less a debate. We're here for some good discussions that will help us in our love of Scuba. Give and take. Back and forth. Not an attitude where we think "MY OPPONENT MUST DIE!" Just a few random thoughts on a bright and beautiful Saturday morning with most of the North Florida Springs closed due to flooding. :(
Yeah I've experienced that with one of the mods who accuses me of being intentionally deceptive despite me underlying a key word that undermines his claim.

The disingenuity is both hilarious and pathetic.

Though I admittedly think I should take a course on the art of persuasion. Probably twice as I'll likely fail the first time around.

The disingenuity is both hilarious and pathetic.
The ad hominem returns!

Very few people, including yourself, are intentionally deceptive nor do they display any real "disingenuity". I'm not saying that they don't exist, but that they usually abhor discussions. Most disagreements aren't life and death... they're simple misunderstandings between two people who probably agree with each other more than disagree. No, they may not be willing to admit that... but you know it's true.

Let's work to add more civility and fewer ad hominems.

And less citing of youtube as a source of information.....

Unless it's skunk ape related.

And less citing of youtube as a source of information.....

Unless it's skunk ape related.
More citations, from whatever source, is a good thing. I want to know why you think what you think. Well, most of the time, anyway. But if all you do is attack the source, rather than what the source presents, then what's the purpose? OK, you don't like YouTube. I'm not sure anyone cares about that. What did you think was wrong with what the presenter said? THAT'S what is salient here.

The ad hominem returns!

Very few people, including yourself, are intentionally deceptive nor do they display any real "disingenuity". I'm not saying that they don't exist, but that they usually abhor discussions. Most disagreements aren't life and death... they're simple misunderstandings between two people who probably agree with each other more than disagree. No, they may not be willing to admit that... but you know it's true.

Let's work to add more civility and fewer ad hominems.
Well it is unfortunate that people will contest facts for whatever reasons. It is unfortunate that they resort to ad hominem attacks despite the fact that I underlying words like potentially to indicate that it is nost always the case but possible.

I see two options. The person is stupid (which I don't believe is the case) or is being disingenuous. Is there a third option?

There are a number of people who I find especially distasteful here who I sinply place on my ignore list so I avoid bickerfests. However when I see a discussion where there is a lot of ignored content I'll unhide it. And if it is a discussiion for which I will care and I agree with them, I'll sometimes state so as it isn't the person bit the idea.

Back
Top Bottom