Revo absorbent cloth in exhale lung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have always used a half shammy in my exhale counter lung. No issues although I do not believe rEvo recommends it anymore nevertheless I keep doing it as do most rEvo divers I know.

My ADV is heavily detuned (still on) and it has never interfered.
Do you put it vertical in the LHS behind the pipes?

lermontov:
if its enough to cause a BO then theres something wrong - start with the O rings - theyre pretty cheap
The abort happened on my MOD2 as the first dive!

Whenever I get the unit 'home' I'll open the back and clean out the lungs with the cloth and leave to dry (also remove scrubbers, pull out trays, etc.). The loop's removed and rinsed under a tap and the cloths rinsed with some spray of chemgene for a small soak (if not diving for a few days). The loop's squeezed out then hung up by the mouthpiece to dry out.

Problem is the water doesn't fully evaporate from the hoses (needs a blower if truth be told) and even after a week a concertina will still drip a few teaspoons of water out of the loop.

For whatever reason I'd not concertinered (squeezed) the water fully out of the loop prior to the build when rushing off to the MOD2 (was diving the week before... yeah, time gets in the way). As a result I built it with the water still sitting in the loop; all tests fine.

Next day, jumped into the quarry for a set of skills and pretty much immediately the gurgling started. Wasn't good as I was getting a wet breathe too, indicating it's only going to get worse. I did the "hero" move to shake the liquid down into the exhale lung but knew it will only come back with a vengeance if more water were to get in (who knows what the drills would be).

So I aborted the dive within the first couple of mins, quickly climbed out, took the hose off the exhale lung and lifted the unit with the exhaust connector down and plenty of water came out (couple of tablespoons). Reattached the loop, neg test OK, and we jumped back in. (Actually we didn't -- there was a guy in the water in trouble which my instructor jumped in and swam over with me following and towed that person into the shallows and out of danger -- maybe his angel flooded my loop!)

No problems after this.

I'm convinced there's no leaks on the unit; it's my habit of diving flat which exacerbates it as any liquid in the exhale lung can easily run out of the lung and into the loop.

I was originally trained to use one in both CL's and have been doing so far several years and never had an issue with WOB of ADV interference. Mine is about half size and rolled up, placed at the bottom of the CL.

These are terrible photos but I roll mine up and carefully (trying not to stress the seam) put it in the bottom of the exhale counterlung. It does not interfere with the ADV. I could probably use a little more shammy (I have a few that are wider) but this seems to work for me. It's been years since I played with the ADV adjustments but I recall just backing off the lever a bit so it wasn't as sensitive but I know some people who just flip it or have an isolator installed.

IMG_20210927_184151340.jpg
IMG_20210927_184248033.jpg

These are terrible photos but I roll mine up and carefully (trying not to stress the seam) put it in the bottom of the exhale counterlung. It does not interfere with the ADV. I could probably use a little more shammy (I have a few that are wider) but this seems to work for me. It's been years since I played with the ADV adjustments but I recall just backing off the lever a bit so it wasn't as sensitive but I know some people who just flip it or have an isolator installed.

View attachment 684244
i notice you've got your ADV at a different angle to me have you put it that way on purpose -reason?

Do you use a cloth in the exhale lung?

After diving the Revo for a year, the most irritating thing was getting water in the loop. This could be due to leaky lips from a knock to the mouthpiece, poor switching techniqu, or lung butter on a longer dive. Due to the "trapless"design of the Revo any liquid ends up in the loop, especially when diving flat, resulting in gurgling on exhale and eventually liquid in the mouthpiece.

I tried a second absorbent cloth in the exhale lung, the same as is installed in the inhale lung, but this didn’t position particularly well due to the smaller size of the exhale lung and I was always concerned that it could interfere with the ADV (automatic diluent valve) in the centre of the lung.

After some thinking, I cut the cloth in half, rolled it lengthways (short, fat) and located it on the left-hand-side but vertically behind the oxygen & diluent pipes. As this is directly below the loop connection, it should do its job more effectively.

I've found this works extremely well over a few months. Firstly, it never moves as the pipes seem to hold it in place. Most importantly, I have never suffered from gurgling loop syndrome. Opening the unit, the cloth is definitely doing it’s job — after two dives totalling 3h30 it was disgustingly soaked in slimy lung butter, yuck.

Wonder what anyone else does?
I use a half size Sham wow in my micro and have since cert (5 years) tried diving without it. Didn't like how wet it was. my cloth is at the bottom left of the exhale lung also. Never an issue with the ADV, it is detuned and I recently installed a shutoff. Thank you Brett Eldridge!!

nice

After some thinking, I cut the cloth in half, rolled it lengthways (short, fat) and located it on the left-hand-side but vertically behind the oxygen & diluent pipes.

I started with a full shammy in top and bottom in my Mini. Then stopped using one in the top at all, per factory recommendation.

I continued like that when I changed to a Micro. I always hated the gurgling that I would get.

When I did my MOD2 class, my instructor said "it's not the factory recommendation, but I suggest to put half a shammy in the top." I do it like macado. Rolled so it's long and skinny (versus short and fat) and put it across the bottom of the exhale CL, just like the full shammy in the inhale CL.

My ADV is setup to work normally. A little stiff. I have done 32 dives like that now with no issues. The shammy has never been "out of position" after a dive. And it has cured my complaint about gurgling.

Also, @lermontov my ADV sits at pretty much the same angle as shown in macado's photo. I seem to recall being told it should be at about a 45 degree angle (as it is, in that picture).

@Wibble If you are having that much trouble with getting your hoses dry, and if you have a DSV (versus BOV), have you considered switching to Cooper hoses? I used Coopers on my DSV before I switched to a BOV. They work well and dry out quickly and easily. I got my last set of Coopers from Sub-gravity.

Also, what do you mean when you say "concertina"? I'm using standard silicone hoses now, as I have the BOV. After cleaning mine, I leave them laying in a dish rack to dry (or on a desk, if I'm in a hotel room). I rarely get more than a few drops of water out of mine the next morning, after drying over night. That is with holding them vertical and stretching/compressing (long/short) them (what you mean by concertina?).

The shammy has never been "out of position" after a dive. And it has cured my complaint about gurgling.
Gurgling, describes it perfectly.
@Wibble If you are having that much trouble with getting your hoses dry, and if you have a DSV (versus BOV), have you considered switching to Cooper hoses? I used Coopers on my DSV before I switched to a BOV. They work well and dry out quickly and easily. I got my last set of Coopers from Sub-gravity.

Also, what do you mean when you say "concertina"? I'm using standard silicone hoses now, as I have the BOV. After cleaning mine, I leave them laying in a dish rack to dry (or on a desk, if I'm in a hotel room). I rarely get more than a few drops of water out of mine the next morning, after drying over night. That is with holding them vertical and stretching/compressing (long/short) them (what you mean by concertina?).
"Concertina — squeezing the hose so its shorter, whilst vertical thus the water is squeezed out.

Must look into Cooper hoses.

Seems that Cooper Hoses aren't really an option even if they were available...
1) well you can't really find the cooper hoses for sale, they are only made in limited production runs about once every 2 or 3 years
2) they are not made from breathing grade materials and will offgas various mysterious rubber compounds into your loop
3) the wire inside will corrode and fail, the hose will then collapse and be useless

Every once and while you will see these and I have noticed GG still sells them but write on the website is specifically states manufacturer marks them as "Not for underwater use"

Why risk it.

Shirley I cannot be the only person who's got problems with water retention in the Revo breathing loop hoses after rinsing out?

I normally thoroughly rinse them (frequently with a chemgene spray) and hang them up by the DSV/mouthpiece (on a pushbike's back rack - does the job). After a week I can still 'concertina' ** the hoses and liquid drips out.

This isn't good, not least as it's great for bacteria to lurk, but also as I'd far rather this doesn't end up in the exhale lung.

** concertina: with the two hose weights, there's effectively three hose sections either side of the mouthpiece. Starting closest to the mouthpiece (and with it still hung up by the mouthpiece) I squeeze that section of the hose such that any liquid moves into the next section, and so on. Can often get several teaspoons of water out of the hoses, even after a week.

I can't be the only person who's noticed this???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom