Revo absorbent cloth in exhale lung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wibble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Do you use a cloth in the exhale lung?

After diving the Revo for a year, the most irritating thing was getting water in the loop. This could be due to leaky lips from a knock to the mouthpiece, poor switching techniqu, or lung butter on a longer dive. Due to the "trapless"design of the Revo any liquid ends up in the loop, especially when diving flat, resulting in gurgling on exhale and eventually liquid in the mouthpiece.

I tried a second absorbent cloth in the exhale lung, the same as is installed in the inhale lung, but this didn’t position particularly well due to the smaller size of the exhale lung and I was always concerned that it could interfere with the ADV (automatic diluent valve) in the centre of the lung.

After some thinking, I cut the cloth in half, rolled it lengthways (short, fat) and located it on the left-hand-side but vertically behind the oxygen & diluent pipes. As this is directly below the loop connection, it should do its job more effectively.

I've found this works extremely well over a few months. Firstly, it never moves as the pipes seem to hold it in place. Most importantly, I have never suffered from gurgling loop syndrome. Opening the unit, the cloth is definitely doing it’s job — after two dives totalling 3h30 it was disgustingly soaked in slimy lung butter, yuck.

Wonder what anyone else does?

Do you use a cloth in the exhale lung?

After diving the Revo for a year, the most irritating thing was getting water in the loop. This could be due to leaky lips from a knock to the mouthpiece, poor switching techniqu, or lung butter on a longer dive. Due to the "trapless"design of the Revo any liquid ends up in the loop, especially when diving flat, resulting in gurgling on exhale and eventually liquid in the mouthpiece.

I tried a second absorbent cloth in the exhale lung, the same as is installed in the inhale lung, but this didn’t position particularly well due to the smaller size of the exhale lung and I was always concerned that it could interfere with the ADV (automatic diluent valve) in the centre of the lung.

After some thinking, I cut the cloth in half, rolled it lengthways and located it on the left-hand-side but vertically behind the oxygen & diluent pipes. As this is directly below the loop connection, it should do its job more effectively.

I've found this works extremely well over a few months. Firstly, it never moves as the pipes seem to hold it in place. Most importantly, I have never suffered from gurgling loop syndrome. Opening the unit, the cloth is definitely doing it’s job — after two dives totalling 3h30 it was disgustingly soaked in slimy lung butter, yuck.

I used to do this but I experienced WOB being inhibited as the absorbent cloth in the exhale lung expands and places pressure directly on the inhale lung. Consequently rEvo’s advice is not to do this

I used to do this but I experienced WOB being inhibited as the absorbent cloth in the exhale lung expands and places pressure directly on the inhale lung. Consequently I emailed rEvo’s and their advice is not to do this.

Did you use a half cloth?

I found this made it fit vertically on the LHS and haven’t noticed an increase in WOB

this has come up before and if I recall revo doesnt recommend it- @Wibble if your getting a lot of water try replacing the barrell orings - i had a similar issue and that fixed it - make sure the revolving section is clear of any derv or delrin 'nicks'

There’s not a lot of water, but enough to be an annoyance whilst it gurgles and enough to cause a bailout if there's more than a few teaspoons (such as failing to fully concertina liquid following a loop rinse — I had to bailout, get out, remove the exhale loop, concertina it and tip out that water before jumping back in).

I delayed using a cloth in the for a year basically because Revo doesn’t recommend it. Their main reason seems to be the possibility of of the cloth interfering with the ADV.

By using a half-height roll of absorbent cloth it remains on the LHS of the lung kept in place behind the oxygen & dil pipes. The cloth seems to absorb the small amount of the offending liquid and keep it out of the loop. Maybe this is only applicable to people who dive flat where any liquid in the exhale lung can run back into the loop.

Would be really nice if there was a water trap on the loop, but there isn’t. The cloth seems to help.

After some thinking, I cut the cloth in half, rolled it lengthways (short, fat) and located it on the left-hand-side but vertically behind the oxygen & diluent pipes. As this is directly below the loop connection, it should do its job more effectively.

I'd be concerned it would muck around with the ADV. Doesn't it or have you turned yours off? Still like the ADV don't want lose it.

I'd be concerned it would muck around with the ADV. Doesn't it or have you turned yours off? Still like the ADV don't want lose it.
Completely agree. Which is why I put it off for the first year. Now happy that the half-cloth 'solution' isn't moving around due to the pipes and is kept well out of the way from the ADV.

There’s not a lot of water, but enough to be an annoyance whilst it gurgles and enough to cause a bailout if there's more than a few teaspoons (such as failing to fully concertina liquid following a loop rinse — I had to bailout, get out, remove the exhale loop, concertina it and tip out that water before jumping back in).

if its enough to cause a BO then theres something wrong - start with the O rings - theyre pretty cheap

I have always used a half shammy in my exhale counter lung. No issues although I do not believe rEvo recommends it anymore nevertheless I keep doing it as do most rEvo divers I know.

My ADV is heavily detuned (still on) and it has never interfered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom