Returning a Tank, and Others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a link I found with our good old search, FredT provides some good info.

From 2002

Step one to self fulfillment, do not make other peoples problems yours. The LDS is quoting a "law" to you. It is not your problem to find the statute and read it, it is their to give you the specific citing. Otherwise they are just using the old "law that I just made up" Ask them for what law, and the section number. DOT is a federal agency. There is also a state DOT, so rather than you run all over have them (LDS) provide a copy. They must have it, and read it or they could not possibly be citing it and complying with it.

I can see no practical, or health related reason for any such statute or any benefit to the state or federal government for such a law. That does not mean it does not exist, it just makes it unlikely for such a law to be passed. There has to be a benefit to the public for the government to pass a law and the related expenses of enforcement.

pasley:
There has to be a benefit to the public for the government to pass a law and the related expenses of enforcement.

Melvin, you live in the United States, the state of California.... PLEASE rethink that statement. There are some stupid laws on the books.

:11: :wink:

MikeC:
Melvin, you live in the United States, the state of California.... PLEASE rethink that statement. There are some stupid laws on the books.

Let's assume there IS such a stpid law that you can't return a tank
or a reg. Ask the guy if his "law" applies to rental equipment and if
not why not

Guys, I was making a JOKE regarding pasley's statement about a law having some benefit to the public. Just look at some of the rather weird laws in place.

MikeC:

Yes, we have some weird laws, particularly here in CA. But they are enacted to benefit some segment of the public, be it tree huggers, or large campaign contributers. The law may have made perfect sense at the time it was passed, and be so out of place today (some laws regarding cars when they first came out and the horse was the dominant transportation are still on the books.).

Got it exchanged in another store of their chain (you should know which store if you live in CA) without a hassle. Both the manager and the guy in the SCUBA department were very nice. When I told them what happened in the other store, they assured me there's no such law. The only overhead they will have is just anther visual inspection, and since the tank is new, all they need is just take a quick look and replace the inspection sticker.

Glad you were able to exchange it to get the color you wanted. I do know that the chain does have a store policy on not accepting returns of cylinders.

I personally wouldn't want to buy a tank (or any other equipment) that was being sold as new that was technically used.

jbd:
From what I can find out it would have to be around 450 C to soften the aluminum enough to allow extrusion. Most baking systems, at least for automotive finishes are apparently done at 500 F which is about 260 C although there are some paint systems that use a temp around 1200 F which would be close to the melting point of aluminum. There are air dry paints that might work but from what I understand bonding of the paint to the aluminum is a problem. Some of the finishes I have seen on many scuba tanks leads me to believe that they are baked on by the manufacturer.

DO NOT USE ANY HEAT CURING PAINT PROCESS ON AL TANKS
Temperatures as low as about 175C (350F) can dangerously weaken the integrity of an AL tank. Regardless how spiffy a factory original paint job looks, it isn't baked.
The best advice is to just simply not repainting 'em.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom