Returning a Tank, and Others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any time a professional tells you that they either Can't do something or that they Have To do something because it is required by LAW, ask them to CITE the Law.

IOW, tell you title, chapter and verse so you can look it up and they generally should have a copy at hand to show you.

I don't know of any laws (they may still exist) that prohibit taking anything back and giving a refund. I know of some that prohibit resale of 'some' items, mostly things like underwear and swim suits, or medical appliances.

Funny, if they can't take a tank back, how does their rental program work????? :wink:

In general, I also don't think that there are many laws governing return policies- they can be as liberal or restrictive as a retailer chooses. That said, I doubt that the LDS could resell the tank as new, at least in good conscience. How do they know what has happened to it while it was out of their shop? While I doubt anything bad has happened, several possibilities come to mind. It's just a shame when a retailer tries to hide behind the law when it comes to their business practices.

yc92602:
I bought an AL80 tank at the LDS last week. Besides hooking up the regulator and taking a few test breath, never dived with it. I took it back trying to exchange for a different color and was told that they cannot take it back BY LAW. They also said they cannot take back any life-support equipment (such as the regulators, which he mentioned clearly) by law.

Does anybody know if there's such law here in the US? Where can I find it (the law)?
Whose law?
It ain't any law of government or nature.
May be the "owner's law."
Otherwise, whoever told you that was lying.
-----
On the other hand, I never knew the color of a tank to affect its performance or capacity - and anyone who'd return a tank because they selected the wrong color in the first place.... well, there oughta be a law...
Rick

Rick Murchison:
On the other hand, I never knew the color of a tank to affect its performance or capacity - and anyone who'd return a tank because they selected the wrong color in the first place.... well, there oughta be a law...
Rick

As for the color, it's obvious, is because I chose the wrong color in the first place. I really don't mind too much if they told me that they have a store policy of no exchange/return on tanks (even if they didn't tell me at the beginning). I can re-paint them myself later, but exchange is easier and faster since their policy says I can.

On the other hand, I don't like the way that cheat me like this. I've already send an e-mail to DOT to see if they do have such regulation. I'll post it here once I get the response.

BTW, DOT do have similar regulations, for example, those small filled propane tanks (not sure whether it's a prohibition from returning or for transportation), but that's clearly printed on those tanks.

So... are you going to tell us what the wrong color is or should we just assume it's pink?

yc92602:
As for the color, it's obvious, is because I chose the wrong color in the first place. I really don't mind too much if they told me that they have a store policy of no exchange/return on tanks (even if they didn't tell me at the beginning). I can re-paint them myself later,

Don't re-paint it. Roll it around a gravel driveway for awhile before using it so it looks like a "DIVERS" tank.

Yikes, DONT REPAINT IT! can change the basic structure if you paint like you would a car. Better option get a tank wrap of your color of choice or sticker it from the places you go. Painting voids the warranty should anything ever happen. Like a fracture in the neck etc...Another idea is eat a restocking fee if the LDS will go for it and let him put it in his rental gear. Most LDS can use tanks to replace aging stock. Hell I could use another tank. How much?

Scuba_John:
Another idea is eat a restocking fee if the LDS will go for it.....Hell I could use another tank. How much?

Did you try to exchange or return the tank? Most LDS owners might give you some hassle if you want to return something as then they think you'll go to e-bay, LP, or used. It isn't right that they should pick and choose when to take a return but if the issue is really color an exchange should be mutually acceptable? (Although you probably will get stuck for 10-15% re-stock, a completely different racket.)

If that doesn't work out let us know how much? Pink tanks usually go cheap, and I have a gravel lot where I can roll it around until it's not pink anymore before I take it diving. :wink:

CD

MikeFerrara:
Don't re-paint it. Roll it around a gravel driveway for awhile before using it so it looks like a "DIVERS" tank.
LOL. That's the spirit !

Back
Top Bottom