Returning a Tank, and Others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_John:
Yikes, DONT REPAINT IT! can change the basic structure if you paint like you would a car.

I have heard this before and for the life of me can't understand how this would effect the structure of the tank :06: Can someone please explain?

I saw a tank with a wrap on it that was multi-colored like a roll of Life Savers. That way you can have any color you want. My gear is all multi-colored, about ten different shades of BLACK!

Back to the point. I just called my friend at a LDS (in Florida) and he said that they would gladly exchange a tank that was recently purchased and not used if color was the only issue! He said it's called CUSTOMER SERVICE! He has been in the business for over 25 years and has never heard of such a law. My guess is that the guy was just being a HARD-#$S!

Good luck.

P.S. What was the color of the tank you didn't like anyway?

jbd:
I have heard this before and for the life of me can't understand how this would effect the structure of the tank :06: Can someone please explain?

Some paint jobs involve baking the item painted so that the paint cures properly. If you heat the tank, you can/will affect the tank if the temperature is high enough.

yc92602:
They also said they cannot take back any life-support equipment (such as the regulators, which he mentioned clearly) by law.
yc, this is complete BS !
The shop you bought from simply doesn't want to.
Just to make sure I contacted two SoCal dive stores that I trust, both said they would exchange the tank after you dive it as long as it doesn't have visible marks (scratches). Both shops sell used gear, including tanks, regularly. So do others.

As for regs, I have bought a reg in the past, returned it for my money back, and bought a different manufacturer/model at a different store. While this was unusual and under such circumstances, it was nevertheless life support equipment taken back.

Even the lack of a DOT stamp on some tanks doesn't legally keep one from buying, selling, filling or using a tank. It does however prohibit transport across state lines.

If the number in your name is your zip please PM me, if it's a local store I want to make sure to avoid it ... or call them and ask about the law . :wink:

caveseeker7:
please PM me, if it's a local store I want to make sure to avoid it ... or call them and ask about the law . :wink:

Me too, please. Interesting to know who operates like that with the large amount of dive shops locally.

So, are you going to tell us the tank color? I'm thinking that maybe he wants a pink one, hence the reluctance to answer.... :wink:

I can understand not wanting to take a tank back.. like mentioned earlier about the shop not \knowing what happend to it between the time you took it out and brought it back. Here in Canada there isn't any law that prohibits you from returning tanks, or life support equipment. Hell if I bought a brand new reg and it malfunctioned the first time I used it.. hopefully I will be alive to return it, then choose a different manufacture... the LDS will take tanks back even if u dislike the color u origionally chose... SO WHAT COLOR IS the tANK :> heh

I'd like to have a pink one to match my underwear. :D

Just kidding. :wink:

Why so many people are interested about the exact color? To satisfy public curiosity, it was clear (aluminum color), and I changed my mind, want to get a yellow one. :(

I'd like to know the shop also. Not that I'd ever use them, but so I'd know NOT to use them.

yc92602:
I'm in CA. I remember the guy mentioned DOT.

Ask them "What law?" I bet a six pack they can't answer that one.
Lots of shops in CA will take stuff back. Most won't if you have
used it in salt water but at the worst they would offer store credit.
Of the few CA stores where I have read thier written policy about returns it says something like "30 days". Aqualung products (and maybe others?) come with a satisfaction warenty, even if you've dived with it and just don't like it AL will let you swap it.

MikeC:
Some paint jobs involve baking the item painted so that the paint cures properly. If you heat the tank, you can/will affect the tank if the temperature is high enough.

From what I can find out it would have to be around 450 C to soften the aluminum enough to allow extrusion. Most baking systems, at least for automotive finishes are apparently done at 500 F which is about 260 C although there are some paint systems that use a temp around 1200 F which would be close to the melting point of aluminum. There are air dry paints that might work but from what I understand bonding of the paint to the aluminum is a problem. Some of the finishes I have seen on many scuba tanks leads me to believe that they are baked on by the manufacturer.
--------------------
Edit by Rick Murchison: I place the edit here because the above post has dangerous misinformation in it. AL tanks can become dangerously weakened at temperatures as low as about 350 F (175 C); NEVER USE A HEATED PAINT CURING PROCESS on an AL cylinder.
Aluminum cylinders do not have baked enamel finishes, regardless how much it may look like they do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom