Restructuring Florida, Take Two...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The IQ of a committee is the lowest IQ of a member of the committee, divided by the numbers of members on the committee.

That gets halved for actual democracies.

This question is being squirted about because for each person it becomes a discussion of personal indentity. The last diving club I joined spent hours one night talking about how to calculate how many hamburgers to pack for a club dive trip, and I abruptly unjoined it without deliberation or remorse.

That was 1966.

I use this board to survey activity around my local area. That area moves around the country, and in luckier years, the world. I'm not in the least jingoistic about the neighborhood I do or don't inhabit.

Florida Conch Divers is already at level 4 in the forum hierarchy. Part of Regional Travel and Dive Clubs. That hierarchy is mostly a geographical tree. Any new division should carry that theme. But no committee can hope to enumerate that list using any tool other than exasperation, IMO. So I still believe that further division of Florida, for trip dicussions or calendar, is not needed.

BUT: The subforum we live under here is Regional Travel and Dive Clubs.

So, one group of subforums, clubs, subregional or otherwise, makes sense to me because it creates a single node for me to ignore, and others to rub raw. And it creates good homes for local knowledge stickies, too. For that reason, I'd prefer they were created for destinations, rather than regions. Maybe that would also halt the gerrymandering. I can't see that "where we are from" matters all that much.

Florida Conch Divers
--Trips and Local Marketplace... Florida Conch Divers
--Calendar

--Subforums SitegroupA, SitegroupB, SitegroupC...

That way the problem domain shrinks to something less arbitrary and opinionable, I think.

Nonetheless, here's my new vote:

Florida Conch Divers
--Trips and Local Marketplace
--Calendar
--Sites & Information
----Keys
----SE Coast
----SW Coast
----Panhandle Coast
----Springs
----Others, & Dry Land

427Dave:
What was wrong with the old division??? I am new to the board and thought North Florida, Central Florida, and South Florida was a good way to split it up. I believe the Keys was a lot of the South Florida forum so maybe they should have a sub forum from South Florida. I think then the Springs/ Cave country does deserve a seperate listing. There is a lot of divers from all over the world that come just for the springs/caves so that would make sense.

So that would make 5 sub-forums in your list 1 More is what the general consensus is asking for.

There are also a lot of divers from all over the world coming to South Florida and the Keys to dive as well. South Florida has one of the largest barrier reefs in the world.

dldiver:
Thanks Walter! I stand corrected.
Do you know who the people are in altamonte springs are? I've noticed a lot of sb staff and such are located there...
Pete (NetDoc) owns the board. Others help with admin of the site, etc.

dldiver:
Do you know who the people are in altamonte springs are? I've noticed a lot of SB staff and such are located there...
This should give you an idea: Who's Who on SB.

The board was started in 2000 by a group of three folks in California. In late 2003 or early 2004, the board changed ownership. Pete was an active member and moderator before he became the owner. Pete is from Altamonte Springs.

El, Howarde and Walter -
thank you all for all that info!
still learning my way around the board I suppose :)

So ScubaBoard is "owned and operated" in central florida... but of course used and managed by divers all over the world:D
I should think the Altamonte folks would want to UNTIE with us!!! :confused:

As I understand NetDoc's approach to the board, it is "let the board take whatever path it will."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom