Resort's " New Normal " Rule - No AIR 2 or diving your long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All of my air sharing has been as a DM at a resort ... and this thread is about resort diving.

A significant number of resort divers are not proficient or frequent divers.

At resorts you get divers who "did their PADI" a decade or longer ago and haven't dived since ... Resort diving is not comparable to diving with your regular dive buddies.
There you go then

Yeah. Customer FEAR, not just concern will govern our sport for some time.

I'll also add...

3. Customer ignorance
4. Industry ignorance

No one really knows what is going to kill or won't kill this bug. My bet is that salt water combined with the low incidence of the virus combined with the ultra low incidence of running out of air is more than enough risk abatement. The best way to mitigate any risk though, is to simply manage your gas and your buddy's gas in a manner that neither of you run low or out of gas.

I was trying not to be too emotive. :)

Some action will be taken which some may will feel is over dramatic. Ultimately, action will be taken to attempt to raise confidence, mitigate fears, address ignorance, and comply with any official requirements.
The diving industry is no different from any other in that it wants to survive and bring back its customer base.

In the future, there will be the usual wringing of hands, finger pointing, and argument over 'over reaction'.

To coin a phrase, "There are the things we know we know, we know we don't know, don't know we don't know, and don't know we know."

You've vehemently denied that there's going to be any clipping going on,
You made this up. What I said was that the issue of clipping is not mentioned in the BD rules. What they do say is:
"Divers using a long hose are recommended using their necklace as a primary air source so in case of an emergency the long hose can still be used without any risk." Note also it is a recommendation.
if it's not in your mouth, it's either in your buddy's mouth or clipped off
Fair enough, but the issue is HOW is it clipped off. To be useful it needs to be on a break-away clip, or stuffed in an octopus holder. If the clip is attached to the long hose with a bunch of cave line, like a lot of tech divers do, I pity the poor OOG diver who needs it quickly. I provided a link to an excellent solution. Yes, if not under stress, it is entirely possible to breathe off the reg while it is still clipped. But that is hardly the best plan.
I breath off of both regs before I splash... is that prohibitied?
I hope so, because if you do you are purposely violating the intention of the rules. In actuality, it might be better to have your buddy breathe off it to test it, since it is "his" regulator you are carrying.

I provided a link to an excellent solution.
We have a different idea of "excellent". :D So the dive op doesn't have an out of the box solution for this, I take it.

it might be better to have your buddy breathe off it to test it, since it is "his" regulator you are carrying.
No, it's not. None of my buddies have ever run out of air. None of my buddies have ever run low on air. Either would be a horrible failure on my part. Running out of air is simply not an option. I've donated only to those who weren't my buddy.

No, it's not. None of my buddies have ever run out of air. None of my buddies have ever run low on air. Either would be a horrible failure on my part. Running out of air is simply not an option. I've donated only to those who weren't my buddy.
LOL. Right. Life is perfect. Carry on.

You made this up. What I said was that the issue of clipping is not mentioned in the BD rules.
You seemed pretty upset by some being offended by having to clip it off. Again, people trained in overhead, have three values for X: In my mouth, in their mouth or clipped to my BC because it has a problem. They've prohibited the first, the second hasn't and probably won't happen, so by default we're stuck with the third. Getting upset with divers because they want to adhere to training doesn't help. We need a viable new protocol to follow.

LOL. Right. Life is perfect. Carry on.
I didn't say that, either. I've donated air, but never to a buddy. What good are buddies if you aren't backing each other up? If one of us runs out or low on air, then both of us have failed.

You seemed pretty upset by some being offended by having to clip it off.
I am offended that they made up the part about having to clip it off. I am always offended when people make stuff up so they can argue against it.

Again:
Sidemount divers have to plan all the time for donating a clipped off regulator.
They use a breakaway. It is not complicated.

Yes, figuring out a good system from scratch is hard.
Sidemount already did that.
So: Not complicated for the minority of divers doing backmount long hose.

The majority of divers do octo donate. They have no issue.
It is the sidemount divers that have an issue, but an extra reg solves it.

I am offended that they made up the part about having to clip it off. I am always offended when people make stuff up so they can argue against it.

I believe he is saying it is his training that requires the long hose be clipped off. That he is not making up.

Back
Top Bottom