Resort's " New Normal " Rule - No AIR 2 or diving your long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes its necessary in order to make a safety/deco stop safely.
OK, I think we have a philosophical difference. If you are simply low on gas, you should be able to do your SS or deco stop. If it is more than that, then you are out of gas. Either way, there is a major error in gas planning that should be corrected.

I have never shared air with a buddy so that they could finish their SS or deco stop. I have never dived with a buddy that went out of gas

We're not talking about DMs in Cozumel

OK, I think we have a philosophical difference. If you are simply low on gas, you should be able to do your SS or deco stop. If it is more than that, then you are out of gas. Either way, there is a major error in gas planning that should be corrected.

I have never shared air with a buddy so that they could finish their SS or deco stop. I have never dived with a buddy that went out of gas

I don't disagree with your first point, if you are low on gas, a safety stop becomes a luxury.

I have sort people out on deco stops with spare gas, I've seen a couple of stage cylinder failures.
1. I've handed off my stage at the end of my deco to my buddy and waited for him to finish his schedule.
2. I've sorted someone else's stage out underwater and handed that back.
3. I've handed off my decompression bailout to an OC diver when theirs failed.
4. We even handed off a backup cylinder from our trapeze as we floated down the Channel when two divers (not ours) appeared low on gas (they should have bought a lottery ticket - jammy B*****ers)

I don't disagree with your first point, if you are low on gas, a safety stop becomes a luxury.

I have sort people out on deco stops with spare gas, I've seen a couple of stage cylinder failures.
1. I've handed off my stage at the end of my deco to my buddy and waited for him to finish his schedule.
4. We even handed off a backup cylinder from our trapeze as we floated down the Channel when two divers (not ours) appeared low on gas (they should have bought a lottery ticket - jammy B*****ers)
What failed as a matter of interest.

that is a lot of bad luck or bad training with the folks you dive with to have so many incidents.

It's either second stage failures (which normally means you are stuffed), or first stage seating failures (which means you have a chance of getting them to seat) in my limited experience.

Number 4 was just bad dive practice. I had a friend who saw to guys out of the corner of his eye who 'looked wrong', just as he finished his deco. On a punt he and his buddy swam over and realised they where both almost out of gas with a lot of deco to do. He stayed in the water ready to donate gas and his buddy surface to get some spare gas hooked up. Again, not from his group, lucky guys!

that is a lot of bad luck or bad training with the folks you dive with to have so many incidents.

I don't know, I've been doing deep diving since the 90's. So not so bad.
One was my buddy. Two when I have taken spaces on boats. One where they weren't even off our boat.

I did have a friends who's first stage split under water, but I wasn't diving with him :wink:. Resulted in a recall of a batch of first stages.

All of my air sharing has been as a DM at a resort ... and this thread is about resort diving.

A significant number of resort divers are not proficient or frequent divers.

At resorts you get divers who "did their PADI" a decade or longer ago and haven't dived since ... Resort diving is not comparable to diving with your regular dive buddies.

All of my air sharing has been as a DM at a resort ... and this thread is about resort diving.

A significant number of resort divers are not proficient or frequent divers.

At resorts you get divers who "did their PADI" a decade or longer ago and haven't dived since ... Resort diving is not comparable to diving with your regular dive buddies.
Yes, I've DMed in Hawaii...lots of air-sharing going on.

P.S. In your signature quote from Cousteau it's its not it's. Twice.

You are trolling, and not very well
Wow, nothing of the sort. Why would you suggest that? As I pointed out, many of us are trained that it's either in your mouth, your buddy's mouth or clipped off. If you switch to your bungeed reg (simulated roll off) and don't clip it off, you can expect shenanigans from your instructor. Usually they artfully wrap a line around it or help it snag on a boulder. I asked it of you before and I figured it just got overlooked. I am interested in a sincere reply. An "I don't know" or "I don't care" are valid.
There are two other factors you failed to add.

1. Customer concern.
Yeah. Customer FEAR, not just concern will govern our sport for some time.

I'll also add...

3. Customer ignorance
4. Industry ignorance

No one really knows what is going to kill or won't kill this bug. My bet is that salt water combined with the low incidence of the virus combined with the ultra low incidence of running out of air is more than enough risk abatement. The best way to mitigate any risk though, is to simply manage your gas and your buddy's gas in a manner that neither of you run low or out of gas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom