Resort's " New Normal " Rule - No AIR 2 or diving your long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The issue may not be dive operators making new rules, but governments passing new legislation. This could be the catalyst to encourage more than Malta, Israel and Belize to pass legislation controlling recreational diving.
Ugh. Just ugh.

The regulations came in in 2016.
I know several divers who have gone to Belize for years, none of them use snorkels to dive. Here in Canada or there in Belize.

I know several divers who have gone to Belize for years, none of them use snorkels to dive. Here in Canada or there in Belize.

I haven't worn my snorkel whilst diving world over in 20+ years.

That doesn’t surprise me, but if there was an incident (like the double death in Malta) the regulation would be used. As far as I’m aware there aren’t such regulations in Canada. Even in the U.K. if diving doesn’t involve ‘work’ then there aren’t any regulations or laws governing what you wear or whether your trained.

Fishery legislation covers what and when seafood can be lifted; and the Protection of Wrecks covers lifting nearly everything else.

Air sharing due to low-on-air events is much more common than out of air events.

In a resort which also caters for holiday makers, who may be holiday only divers, then low-on-air events can be more often than we would like.
When I was working at a resort at Maldives, we had an average of three low-air cases per week, and a complete OOA every two weeks. This was definitely caused by a very bad organization choice: customers were given a 10-liters cylinder, while DM/Instructors had a 15-liters one.
2 years later we convinced the management to provide 15-liters for everyone. This is in my opinion the minimum size for avoiding almost entirely these problems, which in facts dropped to one per month.
However I see that noawadays small cylinders are again widely employed (an AL80 is barely 11 liters), hence I suppose that these low-air events are again quite frequent.

I don't see the 'clipping off' as a real issue.

Use a piece of surgical tube, either to connect the clip to the regulator, or as the 'clipping off point.
The surgical tube will break if pulled on, allowing the regulator to be taken in an emergency.

If surgical tube offends people, there are plenty of 'retainers' on the market.

It is a short term issue, either for the dive facility you are using, or, for the next x months.

If C-19 becomes a long term issue, in that we have no vaccine, the disease remains with a high mortality rate and a high infection rate and no natural immunity. Then all agencies will develop new procedures and routines. In this circumstance so much of lives will be changed, the small modifications when we dive will be insignificant.

I don't see the 'clipping off' as a real issue.

Use a piece of surgical tube, either to connect the clip to the regulator, or as the 'clipping off point.
The surgical tube will break if pulled on, allowing the regulator to be taken in an emergency.

If surgical tube offends people, there are plenty of 'retainers' on the market.

It is a short term issue, either for the dive facility you are using, or, for the next x months.

If C-19 becomes a long term issue, in that we have no vaccine, the disease remains with a high mortality rate and a high infection rate and no natural immunity. Then all agencies will develop new procedures and routines. In this circumstance so much of lives will be changed, the small modifications when we dive will be insignificant.
I think we should just make everyone dive Buddy Commandos. They can stuff the spare long hose in the crack cylinder pouch and treat it like a normal octopus. The twinset boys can use the twinning bands every one is happy. It all these new tangled BPW divers causing confusion. This was all solved decades ago.

Make Cornwall Great Again (tm)

I am offended that they made up the part about having to clip it off.
You're simply not getting this. I'm telling you WHY they assumed that it was to be clipped off. You got angry by them following their training and that makes no sense to me. Leaving it hanging is not a viable option for us and neither are a lot of the workarounds some have come up with. You're telling us to violate our training in a big way.

People who make up rules on the fly often have no clue what apple carts they are upending in the process. They get blindsided and often offended by the responses we had early on in this discussion, never realizing they've dealt the first insult in their ignorance. The long hose came out of cave diving. We have life and death reasons why we do a lot of things in a cave especially when concerning our gas supply. Screw up in OW and you can usually kick yourself to free air on the surface. We. Don't. Have. That. Option. Cave training is far more intense, and I've seen many a tears shed by the springs here in NC Florida. Since the long hose came from cavers, if you're going to rewrite the rules, you should probably consult a caver so you can understand how we will view them. Of course, you might have more business than you can handle, so go ahead and piss us off. If we don't feel welcome, we'll vote with our fins.

You're simply not getting this. I'm telling you WHY they assumed that it was to be clipped off. You got angry by them following their training and that makes no sense to me. Leaving it hanging is not a viable option for us and neither are a lot of the workarounds some have come up with. You're telling us to violate our training in a big way.

People who make up rules on the fly often have no clue what apple carts they are upending in the process. They get blindsided and often offended by the responses we had early on in this discussion, never realizing they've dealt the first insult in their ignorance. The long hose came out of cave diving. We have life and death reasons why we do a lot of things in a cave especially when concerning our gas supply. Screw up in OW and you can usually kick yourself to free air on the surface. We. Don't. Have. That. Option. Cave training is far more intense, and I've seen many a tears shed by the springs here in NC Florida. Since the long hose came from cavers, if you're going to rewrite the rules, you should probably consult a caver so you can understand how we will view them. Of course, you might have more business than you can handle, so go ahead and piss us off. If we don't feel welcome, we'll vote with our fins.
Calm down. I too am cave trained, before you were. Abe Davis some years ago. I understand your point, but not how it is relevant. The ONLY point I've tried to make is that the BD recommendation about a long hose us that it not be used as your primary. All the rest is fiction, supposition, ranting, accusation, and beneath you.

All the rest is fiction, supposition, ranting, accusation, and beneath you.
Nope, you still don't get it and probably never will. Sigh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom