Resort's " New Normal " Rule - No AIR 2 or diving your long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The known transmission path: droplets in air.

Now speculating:
* Locking lips: Likely rather high.
* Slobbering on something, passing in air, to be slobbered on: Also likely high.
* Being in the same pool as someone: Apparently low

* Slobbering on, passing quickly, to be slobbered on, in water:
How much of the slobber got off in those 5 seconds? Did you swirl it around a lot? Rub on the mouth piece? Rub on the insides? Flush the insides with water a few times?

Considering that all of the major associations have implemented alternative methods for practicing Regulator Donating in course environment(continue breathing of your regulator and clipping the donated reg to the harness), I think your taking this a little too far. They're also recommending not test breathing your Octo pre-dive, just purging it a few times. So if you're doing an Octo donate underwater in real OOG conditions, again, on the slightest off chance covid happens to be passed along, you can fix covid, but you can't fix dead....

I dive solo; you all can hash this out. When I'm around folk, I'll add an octo to my right tank.

ETA: Just to quote you:
They're also recommending not test breathing your Octo pre-dive, just purging it a few times.
Why would they recommend "not test breathing your Octo pre-dive, just purging it"?

Dealing with this where an air-share drill is required simply makes sense. It will happen, so:
- simulate
or
-dedicate

Dealing with it in the wild for the general population:
- carry your own redundancy
or
- deal with the "I screwed up" or "stuff happens" (gear failure, entanglement, shark-fight) tax and hopefully find somebody to give you air, accepting the risk that the reg has a low-percentage chance of being CV-contaminated.

If you are a DM and plan to play air-tanker to your ducklings then there is no choice - dedicate.

Let’s look at the workings of a second stage (greatly simplified).

The greatest concentration of contamination will be the mouthpiece and body of regulator, the area that is exposed to a diver’s exhalation. Without supporting research I predict that the exposure of virus from the body of the regulator with inhalation will be minimal. It’s the area at the mouthpiece that will pose the greatest risk. And if the viral load is sufficient, the diver will self innoculate virtually directly to the lungs.

Now the question is, what is the risk that the virus will be present and viable on that mouthpiece. 1) the 1st diver must be actively shedding viruses 2) the virus must remain viable in sufficient numbers through the underwater transition to the second diver 3) the second diver must be susceptible to covid.

Too many unknowns to make any realistic prediction of risk. Will some virus get washed away in the transfer? Yes. Will the saltwater itself have time to inactivate the virus? Unknown but probably at least to some small extent. Will it completely eliminate any risk? No.

I wonder if a burst of air from the purge might also offer some benefit?

210D8289-4CA4-4577-875C-57C70827A603.png

Selective Edit
. I can see me pre-breathing my SF2 for a long, long time when I do go diving.

Maybe I should fit a full face mask to my CCR. Then I can kit up before getting on the boat, and dekit when I get off again.

Add a shower as we get off the boat & i'm safe :thumb2:

Why would they recommend "not test breathing your Octo pre-dive, just purging it"?

Because you will contaminate your octo with your nasty slobber and the COVID (And therefore kill every one underwater :wink:)

But, according to the statistics from @beaverdivers , no one ever runs out of gas,
Why the troll? For someone who got bent out of shape over clipping off your long hose, you certainly put words in people's mouth. He did not say that. He didn't come close to saying that. He specified his GROUP hasn't run out of air. Now, we're sorry you and your buddies always seem to run out of air, but most of us use gas planning protocols that keep this from happening to us. You should have learned that before you got your Abe Davis award. See? It's not nice when peeps twist your words into saying something you never intended.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom