Rescue vs AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm AOW and I'm considering Rescue in the near future.
From my experience AOW gives you more experience in terms of diving as you get to learn about navigation (I think the value added from that dive is not really that much), but you get to choose adventure diving like deep dives , night dives ,drift diving etc..... Which gets you more into the real world of diving.

Regardless of the prerequisit rules, I have to say that there is a major difference between AOW and Rescue in terms of the level of actual training involved. AOW comes almost automatically as you experience different dive scenarios, deep, nav, bouyancy, etc, with an instructor who can sign the PADI card application. Rescue Diver Certification is learning and practicing a much more intense hands-on set of skills, CPR certification is the easy part. AOW helps get you more comfortable and confident as a diver, you should already be comfortable as a diver before trying rescue drills, subduing a panicing diver for example. All that said, the rescue diver training was the most enjoyable I've experienced so far and I would highly recommend it as a goal.

Well, if you're considering taking a PADI class, AOW is a prerequisite to Rescue. So if your next class is to be with a PADI instructor, there is no decision ... AOW will need to be your next class.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You know, all the shops in my area seem to say that as well, but the PADI website indicates that's not accurate. According to PADI's website you just need to be an "adventure diver", which I believe is just 3 "adventure" dives (that count as the first dive toward those specific specialties) beyond OW.

Rescue Diver Primary and Secondary Care Courses - PADI Scuba Diving Training Organization

Am I misreading something?

Personally, I'd consider rescue long before AOW. I think diving will give you the majority of information you'll gain in AOW with a couple of minor exceptions. Rescue, on the other hand, should be part of OW, in my opinion, and will give you a glimpse of things that standard courses simply won't show. Plus having any rescue knowledge at all will help you prevent accidents because you'll be thinking about more possibilities.

Under our system the diver needs 10 dives after OW cert or AOW to begin rescue. This is a moot point with me though since I require ten dives after OW to take any subsequent training. But there are those who may not want to do night, deep, or other advanced dives. This should not keep them from doing rescue which is a very valuable course. Nav is part of the rescue and OW course anyway. No diver should ever be denied a rescue class because they don't do AOW or any other course.

Why not take AOW with your daughter? It should make you both better divers. Like others have said in the PADI system, Rescue diver has prerequisites and AOW is the simplest way to gain those. Rescue class was a great class for me and I certainly like the idea of diving with people who have had the training.I'll agree with Jim, all divers should be rescue divers. It's not for everyone though. How comfortable are you in the water and with your gear? The act of SCUBA diving has to be second nature to effectively peform rescue scenarios else you risk needing rescue yourself. During Rescue class you don't have the luxury of thinking about your own diving. You frequently have to be concerned with someone else's current diving situation and equipment. That comment is not intended to discourage anyone, just as a way to set the expectation.

According to the Key Standards section of the 2010 PADI Instructor's manual, prerequisite for Rescue is "Adventure Diver with Underwater Navigation Adventure Dive."

Not every diver needs to be a rescue diver but every diver from OW on should have basic rescue skills. At a minimum panicked diver, unconscious diver from depth, supporting a diver on the surface, and rescue tow while removing gear. These should be part of every divers OW training.

I just finished AOW. It is a good course. I really enjoyed the course, I learned a lot from AOW. The peak performance bouyancy dive was the best part! Rescue diver is next for me. Not sure when, but after another 20-30 dives I will do it. I will have 70-80 dives by then.

Another vote for Rescue and do it with your daughter, preferably locally.

If you are not with NAUI, just migrate. At that level they reciprocate. trust me PDIC NAUI NAUI PADi PADI SSI !

The class will fill gaps that will astound you!

Pete

I did AOW in January and I found it useful. I plan to do a rescue diver course in the next year or so after getting a few more dives under my belt. Virtually every post I have read here on SB recommends rescue diver. Who am I to argue?

Back
Top Bottom